8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

First DIY oil change, anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
First DIY oil change, anything I should know?

So tomorrow I plan to change the oil & filter in my 2006 honda civic lx sedan.

I understand the basics, remove the filter, drain, put in new filter, refill, but I had a few questions.

What type of filter should I use? Should I go to my local dealer to buy the filter and oil, or should I just go to auto-zone/oreilly's/advanced auto-parts? Will there be brands to choose from, any I should avoid?
Same with the oil itself...
Old 04-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First DIY oil change, anything I should know?

Oil specs:
5W20
API: SN
ILSAC: GF5
ACEA: A1/B1

If you use oil meeting all of these specs, you can go as long as the oil life monitor allows. 4-12,000 miles, depending on your driving conditions. There are several brands that can meet all these specs. Read labels carefully.

Filters? Um, most of our filters (dealer) are made by Filtech and FRAM (Honeywell).

I'm using OE on mine. (Wow, $7.04 MSRP? LOL...Employee discount FTW.)
Old 04-19-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...il-change.html
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

So I was able to drain the oil and put more oil back in, but I was un-able to get the old filter off and new filter on.

As I understand it, I'll need a special wrench to get it off, I plan on getting this tool and with my next oil change, change the filter.
Should I adjust how many miles I wait before changing the oil again, should I immediately change the oil as soon as I get the tool, or should I just drive it the normal number of miles until the maintenance minder tells me to change it?
Old 04-21-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, I'll need a special wrench to get it off,
Any oil filter wrench that can get the filter loose will be sufficient.
A large pair of Channel-locks would get the job done.
You could even drive a screwdriver through the side of the filter to use as a lever to get it to turn.

This filter wrench is one of many various styles that I have in my arsenal, and is what I use most often on Hondas OEM filters:

Notes:

It fits MANY different filter sizes (diameters).

It will only loosen, it cannot tighten them. The installer is expected to tighten the filter either by hand, or with a different design wrench.

Should I adjust how many miles I wait before changing the oil again, should I immediately change the oil as soon as I get the tool, or should I just drive it the normal number of miles until the maintenance minder tells me to change it?
I'd follow the minder, but I also know the quality of the oil and filters we use in the shop. IDK if what you are using meets Hondas standards.

If you RTFM (Read The "Friendly" Manual) in the glovebox, Page 187, it tells you that an "A" service is an oil change. No mention of replacing the filter.

A "B" service is oil AND FILTER change.

Honda expects the filter to only be replaced on every other oil change. (Really, does anyone do that? Doubt it.) So Id be inclined to say it'll be fine.

I'd (hope) a quality filter was used and it was actually replaced the last time the oil got changed, and I would reset the maintenance minder to read 100%, and go the full distance until the wrench light comes on again.

JMHO, YMMV
HTH
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ForeverSlow is an unknown quantity at this point

If the oil changes in the past have been done at a dealer, from my knowledge, they use a synthetic blend so use that or a full synthetic. If you go full you cant get back to regular oil again.

As far as filters Ive always used a dealership one. My buddy works at honda and says they have some cars come in at time with aftermarket filters on them and they complain of a ticking noise.

If you used aftermarket and it does this go get an oem one.
Old 04-24-2013

If you go full you cant get back to regular oil again.
Not true.

Might have had some merit in the distant past, but not these days.

Just an FYI.
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

Macavely is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ForeverSlow
If the oil changes in the past have been done at a dealer, from my knowledge, they use a synthetic blend so use that or a full synthetic. If you go full you cant get back to regular oil again.

As far as filters Ive always used a dealership one. My buddy works at honda and says they have some cars come in at time with aftermarket filters on them and they complain of a ticking noise.

If you used aftermarket and it does this go get an oem one.

Hello everyone.. This is my first post on this site .. Have been reading the post on here for a while.. but this one finally made me reply ...

This is not true.. you can go from one oil to the other and back again .. The important part is the rating of the oil...

I am not sure where that rumor started but its is not true ..
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

Bc my friend from honda who works on these cars daily wouldnt know what hes talking about. I totally forgot about that part.
Old 04-24-2013

Bc my friend from honda who works on these cars daily wouldnt know what hes talking about.

I'm pretty sure one person I work with believes the Earth is flat.
Old 04-24-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
hahaha

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html

some fun facts... #6 is about not being able to switch back and forth between synth/dino oil. Seems somewhat credible, but what do I know.
Old 04-24-2013

Bc my friend from honda who works on these cars daily wouldnt know what hes talking about. I totally forgot about that part.
Originally Posted by ezone
I forgot to write "What has been learned cannot be unlearned."

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
hahaha

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html

some fun facts... #6 is about not being able to switch back and forth between synth/dino oil. Seems somewhat credible, but what do I know.
Fact.
Allow me to re-bold the important part of that...

6. Once you use synthetic oil, you always have to use it. This is a straight-up myth. In fact, the line between synthetic oil and petroleum-based oil is blurring because the two types of oil are often blended, says Edmunds Engineering Editor Jason Kavanagh. "As long as the oil meets the service and viscosity requirements set out in your owner's manual, you can switch back and forth as much as you want," he says.
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

I have been proven wrong. I shall smack the **** out of my friend. Sorry guys.
Old 04-24-2013

I shall smack the **** out of my friend. Sorry guys.
Probably one of those people that mindlessly clicks SHARE and LIKE on obvious scams and hoaxes on Facebook.
Got that "see who looked at your page" scamware app too.

My GF does it too.
It's only funny cuz it's true....
Old 04-25-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I have been proven wrong. I shall smack the **** out of my friend. Sorry guys.
lol, no worries. That kinda stuff happens to the best of us. You learn one thing and it sticks with you, and you'll believe it up and down without verifying it. I've had that happen to me more times that I'm willing to admit.
Old 04-25-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

This explains it very well.

Edjumacate yourselfs.
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEBI1QndPo[/Youtube]
Old 04-25-2013

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
This explains it very well.

Edjumacate yourselfs.

youtube
I'm almost impressed that he made this particular video.

The previous oil video he made caused all sorts of to-do over at IATN, where there really are some real oil industry experts that gave a few professional counterpoints to his opinions stated in the previous video.

This is C&P from the "about" under this video, and he states that he is not an oil expert:

Published on Feb 4, 2013
Visit me at: http://www.ericthecarguy.com/

I knew the original video would spark discussion and apparently it's caused quite a stir over at iATN. I also felt that some of what I said in the last video needed clarification. For those reasons I've made this Re: video. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on oil, I'm just speaking from personal experience. I still don't think I'm done with this topic and I invite any 'experts' who wish to express their opinions on this topic to join me in the next video(s). If you wish to participate in a future video on this topic please contact me at biz@ericthecarguy.com.