8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2013 Civic Si coupe initial thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013
6mt
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 Civic Si coupe initial thoughts

Ok, I've had the Si for just about 6 weeks now. Here's a few thoughts so far.

Absolutely no issues or problems. I've driven 5000kms so far in all weather conditions. It's almost time for the first oil change. I think I'll also drain and fill the gearbox.

This car has pretty good torque at revs above 5k. While not epic, pretty good for the 2.4 and the weight of the car. Revs build very quickly after 5k. The suspension is pretty soft. Body roll is very noticeable. And I think if it weren't for the 17 inch wheels and low profile tires, this car would be even worse than it is. Pothole avoidance can be an adventure with the way this car lumbers around obstacles.

The seats are fantastic! Coming from a Nissan 370Z, which has very good seats, the Civic's seats are even better. The material is perfect. While I really like leather, the Civic's cloth material seats are wonderful! The interior is a nice upgrade from my '09 Civic. Except for a couple of annoyances that I'll mention later.

Big bone of contention...shifter throws are astronomical! Really, this kind of sporty coupe deserves a shorter throw shifter. It's so long that the upshift motion is almost out of reach. Really, it shouldn't make you lean forward out of your seat to shift into fifth gear. And I haven't noticed the "rev-hang" issue...maybe I shift too quickly(?).

A few minor annoyances. When it's cold, the shifter **** is too cold to comfortably hold. Really it is! I drive away when it's cold and for five minutes or so, I can't touch the shifter. It's too fricken cold! Honda...can you say "complete leather shifter ****"?

The touch screen angle is perfect....if the sunroof cover is not open in daylight. When the sunroof cover is open, and its daytime, you can't see the screen. The angle is perfect for the most annoying glare. It's so bad when its sunny, that I can't drive the car because the glare from the screen is so intense and I'm afraid that it'll distract my driving. Safety issue?....a big yes! Solution: never drive in daylight with the sunroof cover in the open position. Acceptable: NO!

I can't decide if the engine is developing a low end knock. I've been listening very closely when the engine is cold and I think that there is a discernible knock. While I'm not that concerned about it yet, I'll keep an eye on it. I've been told that Honda still uses a lower end bearing treatment with the initial oil fill from the factory. And that the break-in oil change should be a little longer than usual. After I do my first oil change, I'll keep listening. The oil is getting pretty dirty and I think that I'll change it out at 6000kms. Whether or not I use the 0W20 or not.... I haven't yet decided. That choice of oil is mind-boggling. But I won't get on my soapbox about oils.

So, there it is. Six weeks of driving and I still like the car. A lot. While not perfect, it is a very nice daily driver. Gas mileage is getting better as the engine breaks in. Not as good as the 1.8L in my '09, but the fun-factor over-rides that silly comparison.

I'd be interested in some other opinions and comments. Am I missing anything? Can anyone else chime in on some of the annoyances? Anyone else having any problems? I'll post some more thoughts after I do the initial service. And if winter ever ends, I'll post some pictures after I detail it.
Old 04-22-2013
13 Stealth Si

jscheel1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2013 Civic Si coupe initial thoughts

I've only had mine a short time, but have yet to find anything I don't like or can't live with. Great on gas when compared to my V6 Accord, and way more fun to drive.

Last edited by jscheel1; 04-22-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Thanks for the review..good details of your opinion.
Old 05-22-2013
6mt
Registered!!

6mt is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 Si coupe 3 month review

For those of you who read my I initial thoughts, you know that I like this car. The flaws are apparent. I'll mention them and then close with what I like about this car.

I've had it exactly three months. Mileage is just over 7000 kilometres. The maintenance I've performed is as follows. Initial oil change at approximately 6000 kms. I've changed the air cleaner (it was dirty). Rotated the tires and done a drain and refill on the transmission fluid. What I thought initially was a low end engine knock has disappeared.

The suspension really sucks. This car lumbers and has incredible body roll. If it weren't for the low profile rubber and 17 inch wheels, this car would be in the Corolla class. I just can't believe how much body roll this has when you push it. Nose dive on firm braking is ocean-going vessel like. Launching the car with the electronic nanny off is highly preferred. Since with the nanny on, it seems to almost misfire the engine or over fuel it. I haven't yet figured it out... so if you want to launch with some kind of authority....turn it off! Also, for those of you who like WOT shifts... you're going to want to turn it off too. Also, with the A/C engaged, you'll see a very noticeable decrease in performance.

The interior annoyances are few. The touch screen should have been built with a tilt-able face. Since an open moon roof cover gives such glare to the driver, that I can't see it. My wife, who's a passenger says that she has no problem seeing it with the sun roof cover open. But you would think that the driver would also like to enjoy this treat. Honda... Please make that screen moveable to get it out of that sweet-spot angle that makes it unusable with the sun roof cover in the open position.

The shifter handle top is metal. Big mistake. Unless you want to freeze your hand when it's cold or burn your hand when it's hot. This one probably got by the engineers, so I'll give Honda some slack. But for next year, they should make the top of that **** something not so sensitive to temperature.

The steering wheel doesn't have enough adjustments. I can't seem to find a good compromise between the seat position and being able to actually see the numbers on the tach. The best I can do is about half of the numbers on the tach. A wee bit more adjustment on the steering wheel would solve this problem.

The power this engine makes is sweet. Although to get to this sweet "area", you have to rev the snot out of it. The torque comes on pretty slowly. When you get above 5k, then you start to feel the torque in the seat of your pants. Shift points for daily driving (read: normal driving), are around 4k. Yes, right at 12 o-clock on the tach. The exhaust note is just fine for a 50 year old, thank you very much. The younger set might want some more "noise"(?).

The transmission is typical Honda...very good! The shifts are silky smooth. I've never had the "over-rev hang" issue many complain about. I think it's because I've had a pretty long experience with fly-by-wire throttles. Yes, it does continue revving up when you engage the clutch between shifts. But it doesn't "hang". I've tried to make it do that with no success. My shifts are effortless! (Hey Nissan, you could learn something there!) But my main complaint is with the shift throws. They are incredibly long. You shouldn't have to lean forward out of your seat to shift to third and fifth gear. Honda...shorter throws are needed!

For a daily driver, and for someone who puts 110 kms on every day, this is a great car! The seats are the best I've ever had! The interior layout is very good, with the few exceptions noted above. And the fit and finish and absence of any rattles or noises is impressive. The mileage is improving over when the car was new. The paint seems very good. But, I came from a Nissan ...and their paint is very bad. And I really love the wheels. They look great and are a snap to clean.

I could do without voice command. It seems very picky. And channel changing is easily accomplished via the steering wheel controls. No, I don't do cell phone operations...maybe I'm getting too old.

All in all, a very nice car for a daily commuter. It could be so much more. With stiffening of the suspension, interior annoyances taken care of and a shorter shifter throw, would make this car really good. But I am pleased and would buy one again.
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

dnice78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to be a salesman for honda and test drove one frequently. I compared it side by side to my 06 and I'll be honest I hated it. Well maybe hate is a strong word, but it seriously lacked the fun and the driving experience that my 06 offers...
Now I should note mine has an exhaust and an intake, so that might be a big deciding factor. I guess I would like to give the 9th gen a try with an intake and exhaust and see how I like it.

@ 6mt, I worked at a honda/nissan dealership so I got to drive the 370z alot too. Now that is an amazing car! Leaps and bounds over the 350z!
Old 06-14-2013
Registered!!

zerointerrupt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the review! I am soon going to be in the market and I am still torn on whether to get a used 8th gen or a new 9th. I wonder if the suspension kit tirerack has would fix the nose diving?