8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Just bought my first car, a 2008 Si sedan. Civic noob needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oscular is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bought my first car, a 2008 Si sedan. Civic noob needs help!

Hi all, I just bought an 08 Si with mods and i'd appreciate answers to any of the questions i'll be posing in this thread. I'll try to make my story as short and interesting as possible, thanks for reading.

I just learned how to drive stick 2 weeks ago before i purchased this Si from a private party (modifications listed in ad): http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...622123855.html
he asked $12,600 and after negotiations I got it for $11,500, which almost seemed like too good of a deal, but i went for it. My biggest regret is that I couldn't take it to the mechanic (shop was closed) so I had to do my best to inspect it. I'm banking on the reliability of Honda to pull through on this car.

I know it might not have been the wisest choice to buy a modded Si as a first car, esp. when i have no experience with Si's or mods in general, but I was too excited to get my first car and I couldn't pass up this deal (he was the second owner and bought it stock at a bank auction). I've done a bit of research on the mods but I'd say i'm still 75% clueless on how to handle my baby, which is why i desperately need information/advice. Some of my concerns:

What should i look out for with my car (under the hood, driving, etc)? Any special advice will not be overlooked, thanks.
Should I get an alignment done because it has camber kits (or get them checked out)? are there any signs to look out for?
I've read some things saying aftermarket shocks are recommended when getting lowering springs. how do i determine whether i should or shouldn't install them?
When I'm in 1st gear and let off the throttle my car jerks a bit. I read that this is normal on most cars, and it does make sense, but i was wondering if your civics do this too. do i just press the clutch in when i'm letting off the gas (in 1st/2nd)?

That's all I have for now. Hope I can get some help, thanks again!

Last edited by oscular; 02-22-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

ForeverSlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just bought my first car, a 2008 Si sedan. Civic noob needs help!

As far as the camber kits are concerned, you can tell if youll need an alignment by looking at the sides of the tires or if it pulls one way or the other. If the ride isnt too bouncey with the after market springs i wouldnt worry about the shocks. With the money youll spend on them, you would probably be better off getting coilovers with adjustable height on them so you can make it the height you want and their about 20%-30% stiffer that makes for better ride.

The intake and exhaust is nothing youre gonna have to worry about. Hope this helped a bit. Im not a pro myself but all my buddies are mechanics so i learned a bit here and there.
Old 02-27-2013
Registered!!

markx916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just bought my first car, a 2008 Si sedan. Civic noob needs help!

I would recommend just getting coilovers, you may not have to worry now about riding on springs but eventually the shocks will blow. Its a new car so thats why it wont happen yet since the mileage on the shocks is still low on it. Alignment should be done after any type of suspension work done to the car, it will be a bit pricey cause to adjust camber they charge extra. Depending on mods it has better have the OEM parts as well such as intake or exhaust... cause you can't smog with those on unless you replace it back to stock. Price overall seems okay for an 2008 Si I would assume salvage title? or high mileage ? since 11k is pretty cheap but who knows maybe its just a good deal.