8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Occasional rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
altua is an unknown quantity at this point
Occasional rough idle

I have recently started noticing that after driving at highway speeds(65 to 70 MPH) for a while, when I slowdown and come to a stop, car tends to have a rough idle, reading is close to 600 rpms and I feel the car vibrating.
I am not sure if this is due to EGR or something else or maybe something in my head since I dont see this issue on a cold engine or city driving(no highway driving before).
Old 02-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Occasional rough idle

How many miles?

Compare to another identical 2010 Civic.

No issues as of yet on any that new, except for a crash job that was shoddily repaired.
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

my car has 41k miles on it. I dont personally know anyone who owns a 8th gen civic.
I usually get oil changed at the dealer, replace the air filters myself and have not had any repairs done.
Old 02-08-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way to adjust the idle speed. The throttle is fly-by-wire.
If the EGR has a problem, it should set a code.

I have not witnessed any that new with motor mount issues.

You have 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Step #1: Verify the complaint. Prove there is a problem.
Have the dealer see if your complaint is legit--- or average-- for the cars.
Or take a used one for a test drive while you are there for your oil change. Get the seafoam out of there.
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

Thanks! I am taking my car in for an oil change tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2013

Don't say anything about what you put in it.

Some people might try to void your warranty over stuff like that.
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by altua
I have recently started noticing that after driving at highway speeds(65 to 70 MPH) for a while, when I slowdown and come to a stop, car tends to have a rough idle, reading is close to 600 rpms and I feel the car vibrating.
Originally Posted by ezone
Compare to another identical 2010 Civic.
OK, here's a comparison.

I’ve had my new-to-me 2010 EX (AT, 25.3K miles) for just about a month now. Everything’s been working fine, so I haven’t paid much attention to exact RPMs at idle, etc.

But after reading altua’s post, I modified my first trip of the day this a.m. to include a 9-mile freeway leg at 65-70 mph before stopping and checking idle RPMs. Results: when stopped in “D” after a few seconds, RPMs stabilized at around 625-650 or so, with smooth idle like always, no vibration.

Hope you find a solution to your problem, altua. Been to the dealer yet?
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

I got the oil changed yesterday and had the dealer look at the car. They did not find anything wrong with it, they also said that since computer controls everything, if something was not right, it would have thrown a code. But, did mention that winter blend can cause issues with the engine response. Since I never noticed this before, they asked me to wait till summer blend is available.
Also recommended that I idle for a few minutes to bring the engine to operational temperature before doing any driving (incity or highway- I almost always reach operational temp before hitting the freeway)
Old 02-10-2013

But, did mention that winter blend can cause issues with the engine response. Since I never noticed this before, they asked me to wait till summer blend is available.
Seasonal fuel blend changes are supposed to be seamless, although they sometimes aren't. Extremely rare for the average consumer to notice an issue that is truly related to winter/summer fuel (other than gas mileage), unless ambient temperatures are unseasonable.

Also recommended that I idle for a few minutes to bring the engine to operational temperature before doing any driving
^^^This is BS^^^.

They did not find anything wrong with it, they also said that since computer controls everything, if something was not right, it would have thrown a code.
This part of the answer is kind of what I expected to hear.

Although it usually takes a real oddball running problem to escape the computers' watchful sensors, the computer can only sense certain things. Vibrations are not one of them, unless caused by a misfire.

Did you test drive an identical car?

You have a vibration when the engine idles, or is it a rattle? Bang on the front edge of the hood with your hand, see if it rattles easily.

Last edited by ezone; 02-10-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

I am the first owner of the car, so unless they banged it in the factory or in the delivery truck to dealer, no incidents.
Its a vibration, once the car comes to a stop, it gradually starts. Like engine and car body frequencies are matching. It feels like my seat suddenly has a vibration massage.
Forgot to mention, they also looked at the engine mounts and did not find anything wrong their either.
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

markx916 is an unknown quantity at this point

How bad is the "vibration" on the car? I am assuming its a base model civic? I use to own a 2007 Civic LX, it idle around 650 - 750ish or so, it idle pretty quiet but small vibrations. I was always paranoid and thought it was an issue so I brought it to dealership they said it was fine. If you are idling around 650 - 750 you should be fine. It might just be that you are paranoid like me lol since it was a "newer model" car. I had it when it was 2009 lol so it was about a 2 year old car at that time...
Old 02-16-2013

They are NOT "glass smooth".
This is why I said to compare to an identical car.

What appears to be around 600 on the tach is a normal hot idle speed. It's OK.