8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Buying a used Hybrid sans batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donald is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying a used Hybrid sans batteries?

Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 Civic Hybrid without batteries, and I'm not exactly planning on getting any either.

My question is, since the drivetrain has an electric motor built into it, will the car components somehow suffer from the lack of batteries? Is it possible/recommended to drive a Hybrid long-term without (electric motor powering) batteries?
Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Buying a used Hybrid sans batteries?

i do assume they will just spin without power, so they would have wear and weight down the car.

however, not sure how the computer would react to not having power to them, though. it could cause weird issues, not sure of emission and if they are any different for hybrids levels.

is it any discount for it not having them? otherwise i would look elsewhere - batteries are expensive.
Old 10-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Serious lack of power.
Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.
Crappy gas mileage.

WHY is the battery missing? (I assume you meant the IMA/High Voltage battery.)
Junkyard already stripped it out? Totaled car?

There's GOT to be a story behind this.
Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ seems like the computer WOULD act up in their absence...
Old 10-10-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
^ seems like the computer WOULD act up in their absence...
Not really "act up", just light idiot lights up because it knows IMA parts are not alive. Computers it expects to see are either no longer on the network, or have coded for problems related to a missing/disabled battery.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Apparently the car is a former test vehicle for different types of batteries, and it is now being disposed of by some bankrupt company. Massive discount? Yeah.

I'm attaching an image of the actual car. I wonder if it might be worth buying as a battery-less hybrid and just use it like a normal car.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...dah/hybrid.png

Last edited by Donald; 10-10-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

Looks like it was kept decent.......Better open the hood and make sure there is a real engine up there.

And drive the car.

Who knows what has been done to it. Be ready for anything. If you get it cheap enough, you can afford to fix everything. Find a junkyard car for parts.

Definitely ask for all the original parts.
Most places that work with a "test mule" like that keep the original parts so it can be sold later in stock form.
They are probably sitting in a closet somewhere, but nobody knows what they are.

Will THAT car drive? I don't know what has been modified.

The stock setup will drive around without the IMA battery, it's just really underpowered and slow. And has lights lit up on the dash. And crappy gas mileage, mostly because you would be flooring the gas pedal all the time.

I wouldn't be scared if the price is right.....but it better be damn right. The missing parts won't be cheap.

EDIT: Is this not a USA car? I see a funny looking front tag.

Hell, it's right hand drive. That ain't a North American car.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

I'm not north american either

Will ask for a test drive and and if they let me I'll report back here. Thanks for your helpful replies.
Old 10-11-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

batteries are pretty cheap if you look around, can prolly score one around $1500