8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

SRS code 3-4 unfixable???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wizardofoddd is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS code 3-4 unfixable???

here's what i got -

2007 civic coupe
automatic
nav
1.8L

i keep getting srs code 3-4. i replaced the seatbelt tensioner, and all of the wiring from the srs unit through the cabin of the car. done many resets. inspected and re-inspected wiring. there was a service bulletin on the wiring harness, so just replaced it.

dealerships up here are awful. they charge me 300-500 and it's still broken.

please, any advise? andyone else dealt with this?? thanks
Old 09-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SRS code 3-4 unfixable???

For 2007, all my SRS codes are given in a 4 digit format, like 11-9x (x can be any number), or 31-1x, etc. I don't see any codes in the 3-4 format you gave at all.

Code 32-10 is the only code related to the wiring harness issue according to the bulletin 10-001. Looks like there are like about 30 different chances to order the wrong wire harness too, that could cause problems in a bad way.

Check your terminology:
There is often confusion between the seat belt and the seat belt buckle, just like there is often confusion between the passengers airbag, the passengers side airbag, and the passengers side curtain airbag. Same goes for all the same parts on the drivers side.

If your dealer diagnosed the problem, and made the repair, and it did not solve the problem, they still owe you the correct repair... Of course, I don't know their side of the story either. Nor do I know what is actually wrong with the car.

HTH
Old 09-24-2012
Registered!!

i think i'm getting ahead of myself.

my scan tool doesn't work on this car. can you recommend a good, moderately priced scanner?

i jumped the 4 & 9 in the odbii connector, then counted the flashes. from what i've read, this method still works on this generation.

i can't locate the paperwork from the last time i had the dealer scan it atmo. i've been to 4 different dealers. they always report two codes. all of the dealers have reported the code for increased resistance or open connection on drivers side seat belt pre-tensioner. the other codes have been for seatbelt buckle, connection on drivers airbag (steering wheel), and seat sensor, and one other that i can't remember atmo. funny thing is, that the second code they report is always different. when i jump the 4 & 9 connection and count the flashes, i get 3 long flashes and four short. there's never any other flashes that report any of the other probs reported by dealers.

one dealer replaced the drivers side seat belt buckle, which should be a warranty repair. but they told me they had to charge me 300 because two codes were being reported. another dealer said there was a loose connection on the seatbelt buckle. they plugged it back in, but had to charge me 350, because there were two codes being reported. i always end up talking to the service manager, and they don't budge. soooo frustrating.

i've ordered my wiring harness by using the vin number, so i'm (fairly) confident that i've ordered the proper one.

i agree that the dealers that have done repairs on my vehicle owe me a properly repaired vehicle. but trying to hold them to their work is an exhausting and time consuming task. i've run out of patience.
Old 09-24-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

my scan tool doesn't work on this car. can you recommend a good, moderately priced scanner?
No, I'm a dealer tech. All I use it the factory scanner (HDS) program running on two of my laptops. I have not tried any aftermarket equipment for this.

I can't really give you any advice about the rest of your issues either, they all seem to center around the personnel at the dealers you went to. Honda has a 1-800 customer assistance number, it is in your owners manual bundle and on their website. I have no idea if they can help you with anything though. Maybe they can steer you to a dealer with a better reputation, if nothing else.

The SCS jumper method for reading flash codes is not supported in the info system anymore, even though it still makes the lights flash. It is apparent that the flash codes do not correspond to the code charts in my factory info.

A nice thing about running the HDS program on my laptop inside the dealership, I can print codes and data info, or troubleshooting info, or bulletins right from the drivers seat (or my toolbox) while scanning the car and send it to any one of several printers around the dealership.
If the customer wants to see the codes from their car, I have no problem making copies of the info for them. **Credibility points!**
I know most people aren't going to understand everything about the diag process, but this helps sometimes.
I am the only one in the shop that took the time to set up my laptops to do this though.
Old 09-24-2012
Registered!!

Cost on the software? I'm guessing 5k$$.

Is it compatible with Mac?
Old 09-24-2012

Originally Posted by wizardofoddd
Cost on the software?
Free to me.
Subscription rate is probably something most ordinary people wouldn't want to think about though. NO idea what it is worth. 1K/year to run the software maybe? IDK.

Went looking a little.....

This is one part, this plugs into the car and uses wireless. This is the interface between the OBD2 port and the laptop.
http://mvci.spx.com/
That's over 2K right there. (It holds all of the reflash files for software updates too.)

Then you get a laptop. And the right software.
And the subscription to use it.
The current version of HDS PC software as of this writing is 3.006.005.

No, you can't use MAC with the software, it is Windows only.
XP Pro, Vista Home Premium and Business, and 7 Pro.
Almost all of Hondas dealer info system will only work on IE.
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp
Explore that site a little.

You can probably find Chinese knock off hardware and software....no guarantees no way no how.
I found plenty just googling for this info here. Amazingly cheap, and I'd bet you get exactly what you pay for.

If you go looking on ebay, you can probably find plenty of obsolete dealer stuff.

HDS tablet....

Worthless. They were BRICKED after the release of the HDS software for laptops. Unless someone figured out a hack to make it run the HDS program again, it is nothing more than a light up wheel chock. It would probably be stuck in about 2009 if it was hacked to run.
It sucked donkey ***** when it DID work, very tempermental and finicky. Prone to lockups, and buggy.

You can find the old HIM units too,

also worthless now to me.

The GNA 600 is also worthless to me.

The Teradyne pocket tester was very useful, but it received no more support at the same time the tablet got bricked IIRC. No idea if they are still useable or not.

Hey, you asked. HTH
Old 09-27-2012
Registered!!

good info.

it's less than i expected, but still cost prohibitive. maybe if it were a more universal tool that i could use with my other vehicles. but hard to justify for just one car.

dealership wants 100$ just to tell me what code is reported, also hard to swallow. especially when they keep offering up diffo codes. it feels as tho they're sending me to chase snipe.

it's unbelievable that a car produced in such tremendous numbers, someone hasn't produced an affordable tool for basic diagnostics. i really wish there were some info on this system.
Old 09-27-2012

[quote=wizardofoddd;4618545]

dealership wants 100$ just to tell me what code is reported, also hard to swallow. especially when they keep offering up diffo codes. it feels as tho they're sending me to chase snipe.
Gotta pay for those expensive scanners. ROI, you know.

The price is average. IF you get real answers out of it.
The shop I'm in gets about 5 or 10 McDoubles more than that.

The problem is you are at their mercy.
They are the monopoly and they know it.
If they want to screw with you you have no real way of knowing what is true and accurate or what is lies.
You don't know if the people on your car are even remotely qualified to be doing the work at all.
"Sufficient ignorance is indistinguishable from malice."

I know how a good majority of shops operate, both dealer and independent.

This is a good reason to find a mechanic you trust and stick with them no matter where they go.

it's unbelievable that a car produced in such tremendous numbers, someone hasn't produced an affordable tool for basic diagnostics. i really wish there were some info on this system.
Look into what the aftermarket has to offer if you are really interested. Look for MAC, MATCO, SNAP-ON, OTC, HICKOK, WAKEON, HP, and others, I'm sure.

HTH