8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Egine Temp. Gauge Backlight going on and off

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Egine Temp. Gauge Backlight going on and off

Got a 2006 Civic sedan, lx.

A few months ago I noticed that sometimes the back light of my engine temperature gauge randomly goes out and comes back on. I'm assuming this is a short(although, if there is another possible reason please let me know). How would I go about trying to locate the short and possibly fix it? It's not a huge issue, just annoying...so if it's not worth the risk then please let me know.

Basically, I can still see the engine temperature gauge(the little "blips" are still lit up) but the C and H, as well as the colored bar that normally appears is not lit up.

Having a similar problem with my radios clock, but I assume that is a separate issue?
EDIT: Neither flicker is affected by bumps in the road, nor tapping/bumping around with my hands.

Last edited by jordan1794; 07-21-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: EDIT: Neither flicker is affected by bumps in the road, nor tapping/bumping around with my hands.
Old 07-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egine Temp. Gauge Backlight going on and off

I have yet to see or deal with what you speak of. I have not taken any apart yet.

Fished through a bunch of diagrams and all I can find are schematics for the wiring. No schematics for the circuit boards.

Looks like all backlighting is done with LEDs in the gauges. Since you say it is intermittent, the rest of the lights work, and this is the only one affected, I'd venture to guess that there is a poor/cracked solder joint SOMEwhere in that side that is causing the LED to lose its connection to either power or ground.
(Not a short. This would be an intermittent open circuit.)
If you are good with a soldering iron and a magnifying glass, go for it.

Radio and clock display description; sounds like a completely separate problem, but the exact same issue IF it has to do with the backlight for the display.

If you mean the LCD numbers go missing, that's probably a different problem..Poor contacts in the display, here's a google result that looks handy: http://www.instructables.com/id/Repa...nctioning-LCD/

HTH
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

The radio flickering is the same issue.All the "parts" of the numbers are there, it just goes darker in the corner where the clock is.

I'm gonna go out and drive a little(or just start the car), see if I can get either on camera.

EDIT:Got in the car and the temperature gauge was doing it, pressed the button to take the picture, and as soon as I did it flicked back on.

The radios issue seems to be connected to temperature(when it is hot outside, it does it a lot more)
The temperature gauge is completely random,as far as I can tell.

Last edited by jordan1794; 07-22-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

Got a video of the temperature gauge issue,like I said the blips are there but the C and F are not lit up.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHlQTHsv7VI&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-14-2013
Registered!!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I still have not been able to resolve this issue.

Anyone have any ideas other than being a poor solder connection? I'm gonna try to take it apart Tuesday to check the solder points.
Old 10-14-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Looks like all backlighting is done with LEDs in the gauges. Since you say it is intermittent, the rest of the lights work, and this is the only one affected, I'd venture to guess that there is a poor/cracked solder joint SOMEwhere in that side that is causing the LED to lose its connection to either power or ground.
(Not a short. This would be an intermittent open circuit.)
If you are good with a soldering iron and a magnifying glass, go for it.
HTH
Originally Posted by jordan1794
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I still have not been able to resolve this issue.

Anyone have any ideas other than being a poor solder connection? I'm gonna try to take it apart Tuesday to check the solder points.
^^^^^^ In a nutshell. What he stated.

IIRC they are surface mounted LEDs.

Really test your soldering abilities for certain.