8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

My '09 Civic Si calls for 91 octane or higher....Why??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CrisW is an unknown quantity at this point
My '09 Civic Si calls for 91 octane or higher....Why??

Someone told me the other day that it makes no difference . He drives an Acura MDX which is supposed to take 91+ and he is running 87 and says he notices no difference whatsoever.

I figure the folks at Honda have a reason why I'm supposed to run 91+, so I do it.

But why ?
Old 07-20-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My '09 Civic Si calls for 91 octane or higher....Why??

Higher compression ratios require higher octane gas. Your Civic has a K20Z3 which has a compression ratio of 11:1

From my understanding, and someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, higher octane fuels burn at higher temperatures, thus being safer for high compression or forced-induced (turbo, supercharger, NO2) engines. The thing it's trying to prevent is detonation, or pre-mature (i.e. not spark plug induced or the diesel effect) ignition of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder.
Old 07-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think your right Josh. The premature detonation (hah) causes the engine to knock. That's how you can tell its happening. You can try to put 89 in it ... if you can't hear a knock you should be okay.
Old 07-20-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather spend the extra 20 cents per gallon than take the chance. That's just me.
Old 07-20-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns. The slower the fuel burns, you get more complete combustion.
Old 07-20-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Higher compression ratios require higher octane gas. Your Civic has a K20Z3 which has a compression ratio of 11:1

From my understanding, and someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, higher octane fuels burn at higher temperatures, thus being safer for high compression or forced-induced (turbo, supercharger, NO2) engines. The thing it's trying to prevent is detonation, or pre-mature (i.e. not spark plug induced or the diesel effect) ignition of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder.
to make simpler, low octane fuels WILL burn with lower pressure, so it will burn BEFORE the spark plug ignites (while the piston is still a long way from the TDC, so fire will try to pull piston backwards).

then spark plug ignites and you have one fire front coming from premature ignition and another coimng from the spark plug.

when they approach each other, the pressures in between them will be monstruous.
when they hit one another, well, it will skyrocket. temperatures will also. it will eventually open a hole in the engine. temps are higher than some components melting point, BTW.

that's detonation.

do you want to risk it?
Old 07-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
that's detonation.

do you want to risk it?
Thanks for typing that out.

Detonation can cause some really cool and really expensive damage.
Old 07-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It sure can... even if its off a little bit it wears components down prematurely. I was just looking at 2012 Si's, and it's one thing that really turns me off of them.
Old 07-20-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Thanks for typing that out.

Detonation can cause some really cool and really expensive damage.
thanks, i am more of a conceptual type of guy, so i try to make it sound simpler... (simple mind, i guess, since my only gray matter is outside my skull - gray hair :P)