8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

1st Car. 2006 Honda Civic, Salvageable? Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanks is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 1st Car. 2006 Honda Civic, Salvageable? Please Help.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if i posted in the wrong section or category. My bad. Anyways, i've been looking for a Honda Civic as a first car because of their reliability and gas mileage stats and reports. And im only 17. I've been looking at cars in a general 4-5000$ range and what mostly comes up are 2002 Civics with high KM's (Canada) like 230000km and stuff. Now as i was hoping to keep this car throughout university, so maybe for the next 4-5 years, and probably put around 100000 kilometers in this time, a 2002 Honda Civic would end up being 15 years old and have 330000km or more.

But recently, i saw an ad for a 2006 Honda Civic that was deemed Salvageable. I have an Uncle thats a Mechanic on the side, he has rebuilt many cars, but never a Honda. The car im looking at, this 06 Civic, has 36000km, and has front and some rear end damage.

The hood is crumpled and the lights are damaged as well, from what it looked like, the rad was dented and the Bumper was gone. There was also some other damages. The Driver Airbag Deployed, but i believe that was the only one. There is also some light damage on the rear passenger quarter panel, but the Trunk is fine. The guy claims the engine starts, and there is a picture of it revving, and moves, but he obviously doesn't more it more than a couple feet with the damage.

Now my Question is, i was willing to fork out at most 5000$ for a old Civic with over 200000 km, and this guy is offering this 06 with 36000km for 2300$, probably get it for 2000$. Do you think, with 2-3000$ i can get it road worthy again? My uncles a mechanic so i wouldn't need to pay labour for most things, he has a car lifter (not sure what its called but its so you can get under the car. It lifts the car like 8 feet) and all the tools. Its just parts.

If i can get parts used and new, would i be able to make it work with lets say an extra 3 grand? These cars here go for around 7 grand and thats usually with around 130000km.

Please let me know, i have the time, i dont need the car now, and i would love to fix it, but only if its worth it. I know reselling it will be harder, but i plan to keep it for at least 5 years. Probably more.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 06-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1st Car. 2006 Honda Civic, Salvageable? Please Help.

Originally Posted by Spanks
2006 Honda Civic that was deemed Salvageable.

I have an Uncle thats a Mechanic on the side, he has rebuilt many cars, but never a Honda.

My uncles a mechanic so i wouldn't need to pay labour for most things,
YOU are asking the wrong questions of the wrong crowd here.
YOU need to consult with YOUR uncle.
You BOTH need to look at the car to determine if it is worth touching, and for what price.

Then be prepared for a neck wringing from your uncle. I know I would.