8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

White streaks down doors, mirrors, etc. after car wash / rain

Old 06-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeddyCivic2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
White streaks down doors, mirrors, etc. after car wash / rain

Hello guys, I was curious to see if anyone has had this problem. I have a 2010 Black civic, and whenever I get a car wash or it rains these white calcium like streaks appear once all the water dries. It happens down every door handle, both side mirrors, and even down the gas tank on the side.

I actually just got home from taking it to the dealership, they told me they've only seen this once before on a black CR-V and that I needed to wax it for it to go away. I figured that was pretty ridiculous since it's still under warranty, so they are replacing a door handle to see if there is a problem with them.

I am about to go take pictures here in a second, and I will upload them shortly. I was just curious to see if anyone else has had trouble with these streaks going down their black civic?

-I just uploaded the photo, that's on the driver side mirror. The streaks aren't quite the bad after washes, but today it looked awfully noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	83476  

Last edited by TeddyCivic2010; 06-06-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: White streaks down doors, mirrors, etc. after car wash / rain

I have a red 2006 sedan lx and have this issue. I watched closely and have figured that the areas retain water...a LOT of water.

I washed my car by hand and saw it, so i dried up the streaks before they set. Went to the other side to do the same. Then I went back to the first side, and the water had run down again -_-.

I repeated 17 times before finally giving up, I don't understand how that much freaking water can get caught up like that...
Old 06-08-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Makes sense. It's residue from the material inside those areas running out with the water. I'd take those parts off and put either weather stripping or a bead of silicon around the edges.

You could just tell them to fix it or you want another vehicle, especially if it's been doing it the entire time you've had it.
Old 06-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazlong
tell them to fix it or you want another vehicle,

Guess who would earn themselves "Crack Smoker" status in a hurry.
Old 06-09-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

What, for wanting a new car that doesn't leak bird crap looking sh*t every time it gets wet? Isn't that the whole reason for a new car, so you don't have to be constantly fixing things?

For somebody who gets on somebody about "ethnic slurs" that are an industry wide turn-of-phrase you're pretty free with the crack ***** insults.

@ the OP: They're already giving you a BS line about needing a wax. And Ezone thinks you're "smoking crack" if you ask them to fix something that's not right with a new car. On second thought, it might just be a good idea to file in small claims court.

Last edited by lazlong; 06-09-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What, for wanting a new car that doesn't leak bird crap looking sh*t every time it gets wet?

snip

And Ezone thinks you're "smoking crack" if you ask them to fix something that's not right with a new car.

No, you are smoking crack if you think that a car dealer would just hand him a different car.

The OP doesn't even have a NEW car.

Isn't that the whole reason for a new car, so you don't have to be constantly fixing things?

Yup.
BUT the OP doesn't have a NEW car.

For somebody who gets on somebody about "ethnic slurs" that are an industry wide turn-of-phrase you're pretty free with the crack ***** insults.

BS. I didn't call this one a crack *****. Big difference.

And "Crack Smoker" is sort of a common term in my trade, nationwide.

@ the OP: They're already giving you a BS line about needing a wax.

On second thought, it might just be a good idea to file in small claims court.

I don't see a "fix" for this.
It ain't "broke".
It might be "dirty".
OP got a black car, it needs more care than almost any other color. Black paint shows EVERYTHING.
Sure, everything holds water and lets it drip. Normal. My new car does it, and the dark blue shows it pretty damn good. My truck does it too from the handles, trims and mirrors. I hate it, but it is what it is.

White stuff? Might be hard water, or something environmental that got trapped inside the nooks and crannies (gravel road dust?)

Might be the appearance of dried rain on a black background. Look at the pic again. The whole door is covered in spots.

You have to use a chamois or something if you want it to look good. Several times until done.

The pic in the first post shows the car covered in water spots (also nearly white), why no complaints about that too?
Was the car already covered in dust before it rained?

Go through a car wash that has a spot-free rinse and see what happens.

Maybe that stuff is BONDO DUST trapped in the mirror housing.
Old 06-09-2012
Registered!!

No, it's not normal. You just have sh*tty luck with buying cars/trucks. None of the cars I've ever had, including the black one I have now, have ever left streaks like that. Even asked dad about it and he said the only one to do it was his old Fiat that weeped rust.
Old 06-09-2012
Registered!!

TeddyCivic2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

The car is covered in spots because I got it cleaned at the dealerships automatic car wash, they must have been using tap water that day. It's not usually so spotty. I have no idea how you two are arguing, sweet jesus this is a car forum, troll each other elsewhere.
Old 06-09-2012

Originally Posted by TeddyCivic2010
The car is covered in spots because I got it cleaned at the dealerships automatic car wash, they must have been using tap water that day.

Their "Spot Free Rinse" needs some serious help then.

I have no idea how you two are arguing, sweet jesus this is a car forum, troll each other elsewhere.
But I'm bored and this is fun.
Old 06-12-2012
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

Quit being lazy and wax your car! Your paint is trapping impurities out of the water. Wax at LEAST twice a year. Before you wax claybar and pull all that **** out.
Old 06-12-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeddyCivic2010
got it cleaned at the dealerships automatic car wash,
I specify each time NO WASH !

That is not a car wash.

Some use air to blow out the mirror mounts etc...after a wash.
Old 06-12-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i havent washed my car in over a year. i dont unless its really bad in winter with road salt and other junk. if you do a quick detail once a week, it will keep everything looking nice without water.