8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Vibration at idle, only for a few seconds

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Vibration at idle, only for a few seconds

2006 Honda civic Sedan, lx.

When I am idling in park sometimes I get a strong vibration for a few seconds...
After the few seconds it goes away, and a minute or two later it MIGHT do it again, although sometimes it takes several minutes between vibrations.

I was wondering if anyone else had this?I'm not particularly worried about it as it doesnt seem to be anything that could hurt the car, I was just interested to see if this is normal, or if there is something "up" with my civic.

It is NOT the alternator turning on, that happens when I am idling with the A/C on and I hear a "click" before hand, what I am talking about is just a vibration out of nowhere, without any see-able cause and without any recognizable pattern.

EDIT: also SHOULDN'T be my gas, I use the local shell station, which is listed as a top tier gas provider here:http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 04-07-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Vibration at idle, only for a few seconds

do you have any mods?
are you keeping up on maintenance (plugs, filters, battery, oil)?
are there any lights on like the CEL?
have you done an idle re-learn?
Old 04-07-2012
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

do you have any mods?
Nope, all stock.
are you keeping up on maintenance (plugs, filters, battery, oil)?
I keep up with my oil and check my filter, plan on doing plugs around 100k(I'm at 60k)
are there any lights on like the CEL?
No.
have you done an idle re-learn?
A wha?

EDIT: Found this after a google search, is this all there is to it?
"Remove fuse #6 from the fuse box under the hood. Wait a minute, then reinstall it. (or just disconnect the battery)
With everything electrical turned off (radio, wipers, heat/ac, etc.) - Start the car and hold the idle at 3,000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on.
Release the accelerator and let the car idle for five minutes. (not including the radiator fan run time)"

EDIT2idn't say what honda vehicle this was for, does this work/ do the 8th gens have a fuse box under the hood? where is it?

Last edited by jordan1794; 04-07-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

do the 8th gens have a fuse box under the hood? where is it?

Under the hood. Duh.

Maybe this would help you locate the fusebox:

/Yeah, I feel like being an *** again today.
//This was mild.
///Time to go for a ride.

Ok, seriously.....

Does the engine RPM change or drop when the vibration happens?

Do the headlights dim a little bit when this happens?

Is it a noise?
(where? what? How would a blind person find the noise?)

Is it a shake?

Have you watched what is going on in the engine compartment when this happens?----Like, is the AC kicking on and off, or are the radiator fans coming on when this happens?
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Does the engine RPM change or drop when the vibration happens?
Yes, it drops for a sec, then goes up, then goes back down.

Do the headlights dim a little bit when this happens?
I have not checked.

Is it a noise?
(where? what? How would a blind person find the noise?)
No, no noticeable noise.

Is it a shake?
Yes, after the revs drop the car shakes/virbates for a few seconds, then the rpms go up higher than they were before, then slowly drop back down.

Have you watched what is going on in the engine compartment when this happens?
No

----Like, is the AC kicking on and off
Ac is not on, so I hope not

or are the radiator fans coming on when this happens?
I don't think so, I usually hear when they go on.
Old 04-09-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Try an idle learn first.
Get the engine fully warmed up.
Turn off all electric loads.
Let it idle for 10 minutes.

See if that improves anything.
This may need done any time the battery dies or gets disconnected.

Then:
Ok, I found a TSB for a software reflash.
Honda Service Bulletin 10-073
If you think this matches your symptoms, you will need to go to a dealer for this.

Couldn't find a PDF right away, but this looks like a word for word copy of the info: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...ml#post9791193

Applies To:
2006-08 Civic with R18A1 Engine - ALL
Intermittent Engine Vibration At Idle When At A Stop
SYMPTOM
The driver feels an intermittent engine vibration when the vehicle is stopped and idling with various electrical systems on.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The PGM-FI software is slow to respond to engine load because of varying electrical loads.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software with the HDS.

HTH
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Try an idle learn first.
Get the engine fully warmed up.
Turn off all electric loads.
Let it idle for 10 minutes.

See if that improves anything.
This may need done any time the battery dies or gets disconnected.

Then:
Ok, I found a TSB for a software reflash.
Honda Service Bulletin 10-073
If you think this matches your symptoms, you will need to go to a dealer for this.

Couldn't find a PDF right away, but this looks like a word for word copy of the info: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...ml#post9791193

Applies To:
2006-08 Civic with R18A1 Engine - ALL
Intermittent Engine Vibration At Idle When At A Stop
SYMPTOM
The driver feels an intermittent engine vibration when the vehicle is stopped and idling with various electrical systems on.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The PGM-FI software is slow to respond to engine load because of varying electrical loads.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software with the HDS.

HTH

How do I do a transmission re-learn, is it what I saw on the other site:

"Remove fuse #6 from the fuse box under the hood. Wait a minute, then reinstall it. (or just disconnect the battery)
With everything electrical turned off (radio, wipers, heat/ac, etc.) - Start the car and hold the idle at 3,000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on.
Release the accelerator and let the car idle for five minutes. (not including the radiator fan run time)"

Is that all there is to it?
Old 04-10-2012

Originally Posted by jordan1794
How do I do a transmission re-learn, is it what I saw on the other site:

Is that all there is to it?
There is no relearn for the trans, but that's it.
Holding at 3000 is only to get it warmed up, you can do the learn at any time the engine is warm.
All there is is idle and CKP learns for the engine, and the CKP should never need done unless the CKP sensor or crank or block is replaced. The CKP would need done with the HDS or an equivalent scanner.
The idle learn is all you can do yourself. My info says 5-10 minutes.

HTH
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Lol,I'm tired...didn't even mean to put "transmission" in there.

And is the removal of fuse 6 needed?
Old 04-10-2012

I never do, but most of the learns I do are on new cars or from dead batteries.
Occasionally with service work that could affect idle.
I also don't really do them if the scanner says it has already been learned unless there is a problem with the way it idles.

On new cars, I do the check in, gas it up, take it for a drive, then come back to the shop and let it idle while I do my paperwork (or eat lunch, or whatever). Learn is completed by the time I'm done.
It just needs to idle with no loads and nothing touching the gas pedal.
Radiator fans are an electric load, so the time with those running does not count toward the 5 minutes.

HTH
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

My car door had to be worked on a while back, and again it was at a shady place because of my parents...
Regardless, I know they disconnected the battery because I had to enter my radio code, therefore I'm pretty sure they didn't do a re-learn, and I almost always have my subwoofers or AC on...so I'm pretty sure it has never had the chance...
So if i drive it for a while, then park it and turn everything off and let it idle, with that do the trick? Or should I remove the fuse 6 beforehand?
Old 04-10-2012

Go ahead and pull it just to be sure, or disconnect the battery.

I don't, but I can watch the scanner. You don't have that option.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Ok,thanks for the help...I'm actually gonna do this tomorrow morning after I get back from school, car should be warmed up by then(15 minutes drive,mostly highway at 70mph)
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Problem solved using the idle re-learn, thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-12-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
do the 8th gens have a fuse box under the hood? where is it?

Under the hood. Duh.

^How can you be so sure?

haha