8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Should my daughter buy this 06 Civic Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raven65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Should my daughter buy this 06 Civic Coupe?

Hi all... first time poster here. My daughter was recently offered what I thought was a GREAT deal on an '06 Civic EX Coupe Automatic w/107k (mostly highway) miles. The car is owned by a very nice retired guy who bought it new and was about to trade it in on a new CR-V - and he's offered it to my daughter for the same price the dealership was going to give him for it... $6,200. It is in immaculate condition... garage kept... with ALL scheduled services done by a Honda dealership. Besides a few minor stone chips in the paint on the bumper & hood and a door ding or two, it looks literally brand new... especially the interior. Tires have about 10K miles on them and he had a complete brake job done on it less than 20K miles ago - which he says is the ONLY work he's ever had to do to it outside of routine maintenance.

I thought this purchase was an absolute no-brainer - given Honda's reputation for reliability (or at least the rep I THOUGHT they had)... until a co-worker related a few horror stories he knew about from his friends who own newer Hondas... so I started looking around and read a few myself.

This was the first thread I found : http://www.topix.com/forum/motorcycl...UF5AC4DQAAP/p8
...and I see that there are plenty more on this forum.

I know that you can find horror stories about literally ANY car on the various forums out here... and that for every horror story, there are thousands of people with the same vehicle who've had no trouble at all... but I can't help but be a little concerned about what I'm reading. Should we expect the tranny to go out on this thing soon... and/or the block to crack... or any of a number of other things to conk out... OR... since this particular one seems to have trouble-free for 107K miles, should we expect it to be relatively trouble-free for a few more years? Is there anything in particular we should check out on this car?

In your opinion, should she buy it, or run away?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Should my daughter buy this 06 Civic Coupe?

It sounds like a really good buy to me. I Believe that the people who have the most problems with cars are the ones who don't take good care of them. Since the car was owned by an older man and was serviced at the dealer it should be trouble free. If the tranny studders or slips then I would be concerned, or if the engine didn't sound good. It seems like the seller took good care of it so as long as you continue to take good care of it, it will be worry free. In my opinion any car should be trouble free to 100k if properly maintained, and all the Honda's I have owned (3) and my family have owned have been outstanding vehicles well past 100k. (280K was the most, currently 150k)
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

savegas52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Raven65
Hi all... first time poster here. My daughter was recently offered what I thought was a GREAT deal on an '06 Civic EX Coupe Automatic w/107k (mostly highway) miles. The car is owned by a very nice retired guy who bought it new and was about to trade it in on a new CR-V - and he's offered it to my daughter for the same price the dealership was going to give him for it... $6,200. It is in immaculate condition... garage kept... with ALL scheduled services done by a Honda dealership. Besides a few minor stone chips in the paint on the bumper & hood and a door ding or two, it looks literally brand new... especially the interior. Tires have about 10K miles on them and he had a complete brake job done on it less than 20K miles ago - which he says is the ONLY work he's ever had to do to it outside of routine maintenance.

I thought this purchase was an absolute no-brainer - given Honda's reputation for reliability (or at least the rep I THOUGHT they had)... until a co-worker related a few horror stories he knew about from his friends who own newer Hondas... so I started looking around and read a few myself.

This was the first thread I found : http://www.topix.com/forum/motorcycl...UF5AC4DQAAP/p8

I know that you can find horror stories about literally ANY car on the various forums out here... and that for every horror story, there are thousands of people with the same vehicle who've had no trouble at all... but I can't help but be a little concerned about what I'm reading. Should we expect the tranny to go out on this thing soon... and/or the block to crack... or any of a number of other things to conk out... OR... since this particular one seems to have trouble-free for 107K miles, should we expect it to be relatively trouble-free for a few more years? Is there anything in particular we should check out on this car?

Thanks!
Are you ready for what may lie ahead? Bought gf same car but mannual and two weeks

Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

savegas52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Raven65

Thanks!

random but are you a ravens football fan? there hard to come by in california
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Raven65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by savegas52
random but are you a ravens football fan? there hard to come by in california
Nope... not a Ravens fan. I'm in SC. So, what happened to your gf's car?