8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Stupid check engine light

Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
devcivic87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid check engine light

I am really getting sick of this car. So my check engine light was on for a good few weeks before my 12v battery went out. Not sure if theyre linked or not but after I got the battery replaced, the light went away for a bit. Then came back on... Getting sick of that stupid light, we took it BACK to Honda and paid $75 for them to do a full inspection (called AAMCO; they dont run check engine light checks on Hybrids...SURPRISE) and they said everything came back fine, and they reset the light. Two days later, I take my car to get the tires rotated, hop back in the car, and guess whats staring me in the face... the effing check engine light. WTF. If nothing is wrong, why is the stupid thing on again? Can I just reset the thing? It doesnt flash, I know thats the "tell-tale" sign of bad news. Its just a solid bright orange annoying light that is really starting to irk me(). Dont need an oil change--thats a different symbol. And its not the maint. req'd one either. HELP

EDIT: will this work? https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ine-light.html

Last edited by devcivic87; 02-05-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stupid check engine light

The light is on for a good reason. You should have it taken care of. You aren't going to wish it away or ignore it away.

So what did the dealer say and do for you?
Got any real documentation on what they said?
I assume you paid the $75 for a checkout, but what about a fix?

Any open recalls on your car? Would you or your dealer even know?

Why on earth would you go to a trans shop (that isn't even widely reputable for transmission repairs) for a high tech car like the Hybrid? That wasn't bright.

Don't you realize there aren't many shops other than a dealer that are equipped to deal with these cars? (unless it is something stupid simple, and then only engine related) From what I have seen and heard, there are many dealers that aren't even staffed with people capable of dealing with these cars.

Go to a different dealer if you must.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The light is on for a good reason. You should have it taken care of. You aren't going to wish it away or ignore it away.

So what did the dealer say and do for you?
Got any real documentation on what they said?
I assume you paid the $75 for a checkout, but what about a fix?

Any open recalls on your car? Would you or your dealer even know?

Why on earth would you go to a trans shop (that isn't even widely reputable for transmission repairs) for a high tech car like the Hybrid? That wasn't bright.

Don't you realize there aren't many shops other than a dealer that are equipped to deal with these cars? (unless it is something stupid simple, and then only engine related) From what I have seen and heard, there are many dealers that aren't even staffed with people capable of dealing with these cars.

Go to a different dealer if you must.
Seriously, dude, drop the attitude. I DID NOT take it to AAMCO. Read my post before you criticize. There are no open recalls. The dealer that I took it to is a Honda dealer; I am PRETTY SURE they know wtf they are talking about. No codes came back with an error. Please do not post on my threads if youre going to be an a** hole.

That being said, if no one else can comment back with a respectable answer, then dont even bother saying anything at all. i am no just some dumb chick who knows nothing about cars. I came to this site for help, not hostility. So drop it or dont post
Old 02-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I misread about the trans shop. I guess I should apologize for that, sorry.

The attitude comes from people wanting to think these cars are as simple as a toaster and every convenience store should be able to fix a tiny little annoying light. Then refusing to believe that not just anyone is equipped to deal with them. The fact that you even called such a place (the trans shop) brought on the attitude.

I don't think I misread this though:

Then came back on... Getting sick of that stupid light, we took it BACK to Honda and paid $75 for them to do a full inspection.....and they said everything came back fine..... Two days later, ........the effing check engine light.
If there is no problem, the light wouldn't be on. You need to find a competent tech or dealer.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Will do. Thank you.
Old 02-05-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt definitely get a second opinion on that. The light is on for a reason and that dealership either doesn't want to work on a hybrid or they have some serious problems.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Are there any ways to take it to another dealer and AVOID that $75 fee? My pockets arent exactly deep
Old 02-05-2012

Doubt it.
$75 is cheap, but only if it does some good. Pretty expensive for the result you say you got. Maybe there is more to the story that you haven't given us, or they didn't tell you.
Our door rate starts about $110.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Doubt it.
$75 is cheap, but only if it does some good. Pretty expensive for the result you say you got. Maybe there is more to the story that you haven't given us, or they didn't tell you.
Our door rate starts about $110.
Can you reply without being condescending? At least try maybe??

Yes. I paid $75. And yes. They said there were no problems. If I would have recorded my conversation with them and I had the ability to replay it for you, just so you might believe me, I would. But nay, I did not.

Again, I came here for help. I will call the Honda dealer in the next town and see if they can be more of some assistance than this other place I went to. But Honda is Honda; I am sure Ill get the same result. Just was hoping someone on here had a related issue.
Old 02-06-2012

Originally Posted by devcivic87
Can you reply without being condescending? At least try maybe??
There was nothing condescending in what I said that time. I'm sure I can be more condescending without much effort.
Maybe there is more to the story that you haven't given us, or they didn't tell you.
Don't highlight only half of my sentence and then whine about it. I don't care if you liked it or not, that entire post was valid.

They said there were no problems. If I would have recorded my conversation with them and I had the ability to replay it for you, just so you might believe me, I would. But nay, I did not.
Oh, I certainly can believe a service advisor told you "there were no problems" but I don't believe it for a second, no matter what you were told. There was a reason the light was on. Probably the exact same reason it came back on two days later.

Whether or not the person who told you "there were no problems" really understood it is anyones guess (I'd guess not). The people at the desk quite often can't comprehend what really goes on in the shop, and have no clue what it really takes to fix cars. I know this all too well.

Maybe the person they assigned your car to was greedy and collected his money for turning the light off.
Maybe the person they assigned your car to just had no clue at all. This happens a lot.
Maybe the car went to someone that knew what they were doing, but there was a communication breakdown between the shop and the front desk.
I can guess all day long, but it doesn't do any good. I don't know what really went on, and you don't either.

Maybe you should go back to the same dealer and complain that the same problem is still happening, you already paid good money to fix (or diagnose) this and it isn't fixed. At least give them the opportunity to correct their mistakes...... and this time you want the brain surgeon to fix (or diagnose) it.
After that produces no desired results....Maybe a call to the dealer principal would be in order. The person with their name on the sign probably wouldn't want to hear that someones experience in his dealership was less than stellar.
Maybe a call to the 1-800 Honda customer assistance number would be after that.
But Honda is Honda; I am sure Ill get the same result.
Spoken like a true consumer.
High tech car repair isn't like fast food.
Few people in the field really have the talents necessary to solve real problems. Not every dealer chooses to employ an all star team.
Almost anybody with a shoebox full of tools can hang parts though, and that generates revenue.

Just was hoping someone on here had a related issue.
Your issue is with a dealer that didn't diagnose or fix your car. You aren't about to attempt to fix it yourself, and you haven't presented any information necessary for any of us to even guess at what the problem with the car is.
So the reply to the above statement is: Yup. Many people have dealt with a check engine light that someone couldn't fix.
Find someone else that can fix it.

HTH
Old 05-30-2017
Registered!!

lil_abi_d is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel
My check engine light came on a few times in the past, and sometimes for no reason
Or a season that wasn't an engine problem.
The last time I had it was a week ago, I called a Honda dealership that's close to me and
Asked if they can check it
The guy told me they don't deal with problems with the engine and that I need to take it
To another place that deals with specifically that.
I recommend for you to find an expert with the type of engine of your car.
Hope that helped
Old 05-30-2017

I called a Honda dealership that's close to me and
Asked if they can check it
The guy told me they don't deal with problems with the engine and that I need to take it
To another place that deals with specifically that.
Honda dealership whut derp?
Old 05-31-2017
Registered!!

DSSuperStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda dealership whut derp?
But an obd2 reader off of Amazon, or similar, and read the codes yourself. That might help the people on here give you direction. A check engine light can be something as simple as you didnt put your gas cap on tight enough, or any other number of major problems. With the codes you will give an idea of where to start.