8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

There has been a lot of talk in the media about Civic gas mileage lately.
What are you guys getting for highway gas mileage?

Just for the sake of discussion, I've only had my car like 2-days. I've driven about 120 miles and the computer says I've averaged about 32mpg so far. The window sticker says a possible 39mpg for highway use, but I wonder if it will ever be that good. That HF model is supposed to be good for 41!
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

TreeFortRichard can only hope to improve
Re: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

I don't know where you live, but in the north east we get VERY different mileage between summer and winter gas. I lose about 15% of my MPG in the winter...For years I thought it was from warming up my car....But i stopped doing that for more than about 3 min and realized it's the change in gas formula...I get 33-35 in the summer and 26-28 in the winter (1999 Civic EX manual)
Old 02-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EX-Dave

Just for the sake of discussion, I've only had my car like 2-days. I've driven about 120 miles and the computer says I've averaged about 32mpg so far. The window sticker says a possible 39mpg for highway use, but I wonder if it will ever be that good. That HF model is supposed to be good for 41!
Many factors go into killing your gas mileage figures.

Don't burn the low quality no-name fuel.
Read up here: http://www.toptiergas.com/

12 Civic LX. Extra floormats for extra weight LOL.
Tires around 40psi, I never let the air out when I did the PDI.
Got it in the middle of October.

Sticker 28/39? Your mileage may vary.

Actual in town daily trip 5.6 miles each way, stop n go, 26-28ish.
Actual interstate 70-75ish MPH, 37.5ish.
Actual steady 55 MPH for 50 miles........52.3 MPG first try. Over 45mpg pretty consistently in this semi-regular trip. Drops like a rock as soon as I hit traffic or a town.

Gas mileage calculated at each fill up has been consistently higher than the mileage displayed on the MID by about 1 MPG on a full tank.

Cold and winter fuel has dropped mileage a little, but it hasn't been nearly as cold as it usually is this year.

YMMV

Last edited by ezone; 02-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is a lot to learn if you want good gas mileage (www.ecomodder.com to start). i get around 34mpg highway in winter and 42mpg highway in summer with my 2002. there are many factors that cause winter mileage to be that much lower. and many things you can do to improve.
Old 02-04-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like my best gas mileage happens between 40-55mph, and rock steady speed. Highest gear, and yet slow enough that wind resistance isn't a huge factor.

Every stop and start hurts mileage.
Old 02-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
there is a lot to learn if you want good gas mileage (www.ecomodder.com to start). i get around 34mpg highway in winter and 42mpg highway in summer with my 2002. there are many factors that cause winter mileage to be that much lower. and many things you can do to improve.

Wow! That is a hefty gas mileage drop! Out here in New England, we usually drop like 10-15% during winter. 20% is nasty!

It's interesting to see what other people are getting with these cars. Just for the sake of discussion, the EPA says 39MPG highway for my car. I'm curious if I will ever do that well. After the engine is fully broke in, I plan to try different fuels and driving habits to see where the best combination is.

Thanks for the input!!
Old 02-04-2012

Just watch your instant and average as you drive.
The MID display calculates your average every 1/10 mile or so.
At the start of a full tank it reacts quickly to changes in driving. Toward the end of the tank it changes much slower because it is averaging your driving for the entire tank.

Many people become much more conscious of their driving because those MPG displays are right in your face now, and they try to drive for maximum mileage. I know I have.
Other people aren't smart enough to alter their driving habits so they continue to bitch about lousy mileage.

Filled mine Thurs. Driving errands around town I've got 29.5-30 showing today, and about 60 miles.

Just for the sake of discussion, the EPA says 39MPG highway for my car. I'm curious if I will ever do that well. After the engine is fully broke in, I plan to try different fuels and driving habits to see where the best combination is.
You'll get it if you drive it right and don't have any low tires. 70+ is NOT the right speed to get that good mileage.

Gas from the corner Quicky Mart where they sell cigarettes, beer, lottery tickets, and cheap gas doesn't get you good mileage.

Top Tier Gas does.

Avoid ethanol if possible (hard to avoid though). Ethanol drops your gas mileage.

Burn the 87 octane gas. Higher octane doesn't gain you a darn thing.
Old 02-05-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately our gas has 10% ethanol all year...ive driven with regular gas before in the midwest from a small philips66 station and it was a huge difference in power and mileage. these cars were never designed to burn ethanol.
Old 02-05-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2005. I recently started driving "Properly" at around 60mph and I'm getting around 41MPG in the highway. I have not tested this method in the summer yet but im betting 45+. Driving not caring about gas I was getting about 33MPG consistantly.

Things I've changed:

I use to drive 80mph, I've slowed down to 60.
I no longer use my defog unless necessary, which means my AC isnt working.
I don't rev much above 3000 unless on the highway, I shift early.
I no longer use the subs in my car as they drain gas.
I don't run my heater fan after the car is warm, I just leave it off but on a hot setting and it keeps blowing hot air in anyway.

Thing's I'm going to do to improve it: Remove the 30+lbs sub box from the back, and amp. Switch back to 5W20 in the summer to possibly get a tiny increase. I'll go from there. Will do everything I can to hit around 50 MPG consistantly.

Don't forget I'm about 85% highway driving so my mileage may not be comparible to others.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
....Burn the 87 octane gas. Higher octane doesn't gain you a darn thing.
With a high compression ratio, shouldn't a higher octane fuel do something for you? Aren't these cars like over 10:1? I think the salesman said 10.6:1.

I'm looking forward to trying different combinations of fuels and highway speeds to see just where the things are the best. Paying a little more for those Top Tier fuels should still be a benefit. The extra cost at the pump should be justified by better gas mileage and a cleaner burning engine.

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I have a 2005. I recently started driving "Properly" at around 60mph and I'm getting around 41MPG in the highway. I have not tested this method in the summer yet but im betting 45+. Driving not caring about gas I was getting about 33MPG consistantly.

Don't forget I'm about 85% highway driving so my mileage may not be comparible to others.
Getting over 40 is very good. That new CRZ hybrid is only rated like 44mpg highway. I'm hoping to match the EPA highway estimate of 39 or better!
Old 02-05-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I walked by a 2012 EX in the dealership yesterday and they claimed 59MPG highway with the Econo mode on the windshield. I don't think that's going to happen.
Old 02-05-2012

Yea I walked by a 2012 EX in the dealership yesterday and they claimed 59MPG highway with the Econo mode on the windshield. I don't think that's going to happen.
I bet corporate and the dealers district managers would be interested in knowing about this, especially in light of the gas mileage lawsuit that was just won in California, and the class action lawsuit coming up.

With a high compression ratio, shouldn't a higher octane fuel do something for you? Aren't these cars like over 10:1? I think the salesman said 10.6:1.
The high-swirl intake and combustion chamber stuff is supposed to allow slightly higher compression ratio without the need or higher octane fuel.

Once you establish a routine drive and a normal gas mileage for these routines, then try a couple tanks full of high octane gas, and calculate the difference. Then calculate the cost difference in, and see if it was worth it.
Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

You got that right! No fn way!!

.....The high-swirl intake and combustion chamber stuff is supposed to allow slightly higher compression ratio without the need or higher octane fuel.

Once you establish a routine drive and a normal gas mileage for these routines, then try a couple tanks full of high octane gas, and calculate the difference. Then calculate the cost difference in, and see if it was worth it.
Cool! Is that intake and head combo new?

That sounds like a good plan. I need a good baseline with stable (more mild) weather to see where I am. Right now the morning temperatures are in the 20's. Even so, I managed (according to the dash readout) over 34mpg today. In the 65mph speed limit zone, I cruised at 60. I'm on a full tank of 87 octane "quickee mart" gasoline too. I'm in Econ-mode.
Old 02-06-2012

Cool! Is that intake and head combo new?
No, the swirl thing has been going on for years. It's just one of several ways the engines have managed to go from 8:1 compression to 10:1 and more, without needing high octane fuel. That, and knock sensors.

I really don't know if the 12 is much different from 11 either....I haven't had one apart...I haven't even needed to take the cover off the top of one yet. It's just more stuff that I don't really need to know about to do my job. Sales department cares about the numbers and ratings and hype.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Just averaged over 36 mpg this week. That is almost twice the gas mileage of the truck I just traded in.

Getting that 39 mpg window sticker number might not be too far fetched!
Old 02-10-2012

Just averaged over 36 mpg this week. That is almost twice the gas mileage of the truck I just traded in.

Getting that 39 mpg window sticker number might not be too far fetched!
I was driving a 90 Park Avenue that got 16/25. Still have it.

I hope you are keeping a log of fill ups and mileages, and calculating real gas mileage for every tankfull.

Reason: I'd like to know if your calculated mileage is slightly higher than what the display says.
My calculated mileage seems to be consistently higher by about 1 mpg.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

I was driving a 90 Park Avenue that got 16/25. Still have it.

I hope you are keeping a log of fill ups and mileages, and calculating real gas mileage for every tankfull.

Reason: I'd like to know if your calculated mileage is slightly higher than what the display says.
My calculated mileage seems to be consistently higher by about 1 mpg.
I have a '90 Mustang 5.0 LX that will return 26 on highway trips. It's fun to drive and also not too bad on gasoline for the combination of power and handling it brings me.

With the Civic, my actual gas mileage was about a 1/2 mpg higher than what the MID showed for the week.

Yeah, I'm keeping kind of a log on what I'm getting for results. We are in our cold weather right now, but I'm looking forward to the higher mpg as the engine gets broken in and the weather warms up.

I'm sure we all know that those EPA mpg ratings are more of a guide, but it makes things interesting.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

you are right EPA mpg rating is just a guide like a GPS when you travel.....

your actual driving mileage will vary with so many factors coming in when mpg is considered....
Old 02-13-2012

Originally Posted by Devani
just a guide like a GPS when you travel.....
Look at how many idiots have run off into a swamp or off of a mountain because they couldn't look around and judge a road for themselves....
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Look at how many idiots have run off into a swamp or off of a mountain because they couldn't look around and judge a road for themselves....
Love those Geico TV commercials with Mayhem!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew GPS adventure
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

If anyone is interested, I have some gas mileage averaging to report. After 5 weeks of having the Civic, I've averaged a little over 36mpg. Not bad at all for late winter.

I only use the Econ Mode when I'm up to highway speed. The lower shift points of Econ Mode only seem to hurt when driving off the highway and in city traffic.
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

I would be pissed if I didnt get as advertised.

Just for comparison:
My 01 LX with 198k miles gets 38-39 mpg.

My 06 EX gets about 35-36 mpg

My 01 Supercharged Corvette Z06 (531 rwhp) can and has gotten 28-29 on the highway.
Old 03-24-2012

My normal daily routine driving has gone from 27-28 MPG up to 32-34 MPG, now that the weather has gotten warmer and apparently the gas stations have switched from winter blend to summer blend fuels.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ubnpast
I would be pissed if I didnt get as advertised.

Just for comparison:
My 01 LX with 198k miles gets 38-39 mpg.

My 06 EX gets about 35-36 mpg

My 01 Supercharged Corvette Z06 (531 rwhp) can and has gotten 28-29 on the highway.
My '90 Mustang 5.0 has also gotten decent gas mileage. 26mpg on some highway trips isn't too bad. Years ago, this would have sounded insane.

I broke that 39mpg average barrier this week. The number was 39.9.

Personally, I'm very happy with this. After the motor is broken in and warmer weather is with us, getting into the 40's will not be too far fetched.
Old 04-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

A little off topic, but I just traveled to the beach from my house in my 2006 civic sedan, at the fill up I had 2 blips left on my gas tank(low fuel light had literally JUST come on when I pulled into the station.)
At the fill-up I had 395 miles since the last fill-up, and I was able to put 10.023 gallons into the tank(no topping off)

Not bad, in my opinion...
And I tracked, of those 395 miles ~220-240 miles were highway(~110 miles there, ~110 miles back)
Drove about 10 miles in HORRIBLE stop and go traffic at the beach.
The other ~160 miles were moderate city driving(my home city isn't small, but not large enough for stop and go traffic)

P.S. top tier gas helps mileage, after switching I'm averaging 3-5 more MPG.
Old 04-14-2012

Update on the ECON button functions (remember this button is now on several other models so these may or may not apply to Civics), and keep in mind that there are some trade-offs as far as acceleration, comfort and convenience:

The happy little green light illuminates, and it may modify:

trans controls, (shift points are lowered)

the electronic throttle,
(reduces throttle opening for a given pedal input, while at less than 80% of WOT. At 80% and greater, you still are receiving the normal full throttle response)

climate control, (compressor cycle time and temps, blower fan speed, recirc operation)

cruise control, (limits acceleration/throttle opening rates when engaged, which may allow more vehicle speed variations esp. on hills)

auto-idle-stop for hybrids
. (widened ambient temp ranges allowed for autostop)
Old 04-14-2012
Premium Member

so pretty much eco for dummies lol. with the exception of idle stop, i already do everything else better than the button would. honda should publish more specs about different functions. true nobody would care except the car guys, but its interesting to know that one tick of the fan motor uses 55w of power.
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Gas mileage update:

The car has about 9k miles on it now. It consistantly gets like 40mpg on my commute to work. Just finished a road trip out to western Massachusetts and averaged 42 out (mostly up hill) and 44 back to home.
Old 07-29-2012
Premium Member

sounds about right to me!
Old 08-05-2012
K24Z7

K24power07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a 2012 Si 4dr and i average on a tank about 32.9mpg city/highway i can go a good 340miles on a tank and i have a heavy foot, this is just me i know everyone is different espacially the different roads we travel..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG