8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Automatic Transmission questions(2006 Civic Sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Automatic Transmission questions(2006 Civic Sedan)

So I was wondering 2 things about the automatic tranny.
First off,what is the most fuel efficient cruising RPM/Speed?
I know it's not a manual, and that if I want to control the RPM's I should get a stick. But ignoring that,I do have slight control over the shifts.

For example,I know that going about 34 the car will be in one gear,cruising at around 2,000 RPM...I also know that if I speed up a tiny bit,to around 37 or 38 it will shift and cruise at about 1,600 RPM.
Which is better for fuel economy?
(Those numbers might not be 100% right,but they are close enough for my intention)

And another question.I know that if I'm cruising,foot slightly on the gas, and I let up suddenly,the car feels like its sluggish, with a LOT of rolling resistance,whereas if I slowly let off the gas,it will shift and roll smooth...
I've researched and read that there is an engine brake mode,is this what I'm feeling?And if so is it more efficient to let it engine brake,or slowly let off and let it shift?I'm not sure if it's shifting into a different gear,or into neutral.
Also,does a lot of engine breaking put extra wear on your tranny?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Automatic Transmission questions(2006 Civic Sedan)

around 40mph is ideal for best mileage on a flat road. key to fuel economy is low rpms, and take your foot off the gas as much as possible to coast (uses no fuel when the car is moving in D and your foot is off the gas). the whole thing with the speed is to make sure the torque converter locks up and the rpms drop. if you press the gas too much, it can unlock again tho. not sure on the second part, but you should be keeping pressure on the gas when the trans is shifting. after its in highest gear, you can ease off and let it coast a bit, then apply light pressure to keep the car at speed. shifting gears puts the greatest amount of wear on the trans. the fewer times it shifts, the longer it lasts. every shift puts a tiny bit of wear on the clutch plates and also releases heat, which reduces fluid life. just keep the fluid changed often, like do a drain and fill yearly or sooner, and change the fluid filter every few yrs.