8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2009 EX 4D Driver Side Seat Cushion Uncomfortable?

Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
niriven is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 EX 4D Driver Side Seat Cushion Uncomfortable?

After about 20,000 miles my seat cover started to come off and disconnect from the bottom of the seat. After bringing it to the dealer 3 times to get it fixed for the same reason I am starting to notice some discomfort in the seat cushion.

The seat cushion has two seams. The one near the back part of the seat seems to have a pressure point in the middle of it. If i push down with my thumb in the middle of this seam I can noticeable feel something hard, but not on the left or right hand of the seam.

After about or 10 or 20 minutes into my commute, i can really feel this pressure point and it starts to become distracting and very uncomfortable to the point where i have to shift up to the front of the seat just to be comfortable.

Does anyone else have this problem? I asked my dealership but they seem to insist that they looked under the seat cover and nothing is wrong. Is this just a design problem with the seat? What could possibly feel like a hard pressure point under there?

Any help appreciated... its really starting to drive me nuts.

Last edited by niriven; 11-18-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 11-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 EX 4D Driver Side Seat Cushion Uncomfortable?

have you looked under the seat cover yourself? it just unzips and you can pull part of it off to check. there should only be cushion but maybe on the newer civics there is a metal support bar and part of the cushion is worn enough to feel it.
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
have you looked under the seat cover yourself? it just unzips and you can pull part of it off to check. there should only be cushion but maybe on the newer civics there is a metal support bar and part of the cushion is worn enough to feel it.
Where does it unzip? Not sure i feel comfortable with doing it myself. The dealer solved the problem with the seat cover coming off up front (undearneath) but securely attaching the clip that wraps around.

This is really starting to drive me crazy to the point I want to sell the car. My brother sat in it and said he felt something but nothing that bothered him.

Not really sure what to do anymore
Old 11-19-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is no way to mess it up. the seat cover is loose enough that you can put it back over the foam. i think they are usually in the back and you have to look inbetween the fabric to find it. its a small zipper and sometimes without a handle. do you have heated seats?

Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
there is no way to mess it up. the seat cover is loose enough that you can put it back over the foam. i think they are usually in the back and you have to look inbetween the fabric to find it. its a small zipper and sometimes without a handle. do you have heated seats?

Nope I don't have seat heaters. I had someone else push down on the back seam in the middle and they also felt something noticeably hard.

I looked around but did not see or feel a zipper. The front i know used to come off as it wrapped around and was clipped underneath the front of the seat, but since this clip kept coming off and the dealer said they fixed it (3 times), the last time they fixed it i think they made sure it wasn't coming off so I cant seem to make it budge.

I'm only 190 pounds so I'm not sure why the seat cover would have been coming off in the first place.

I am thinking about just taking it to the dealer and have them press on the back seam, in the middle to notice the problem. Likelihood is that they will ignore me again, even though I'm under warranty
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

After looking around the net more, i seem to know what I am feeling under there. There are clips under each seam (three per seam) that clip into the cushion to keep the cover on. Here are some examples (I did not take these).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/382142...-3#38214250186

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/382142...-3#38214250142

These clips fit into a notch in the cushion, but seem deep enough that they would not cause a problem, however I can noticeably feel a clip in the back seam in the middle. I take it this is normal? If so I'll probably just sell the car as much as I would hate too
Old 11-22-2011
Premium Member

its possible that its normal for 06+ civic seats. the older civics ive been in never had this issue.