8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Reset anti-theft after battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aerei is an unknown quantity at this point
Reset anti-theft after battery drain?

Hello all,

Found this forum while searching the 'net for a resolution to this issue... I've seen a lot of people with similar issues, but no real solutions/DIY fixes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First of all, I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX, which I purchased new from the dealer in January 2008. There are no aftermarket installations, and I haven't had any real issues with the car except for the problem I'm about to describe.

One week ago, while my car was parked over a period of days, an iterior light was accidentally left on and ultimately drained the battery very low -- no remote lock/unlock, the engine wouldn't crank/turn at all, zero dash lights, etc. AAA was dispatched, the car was jump-started and the battery was recharged with a long drive. After the jump start, anti-theft was working normally, from what I could tell -- after pressing the remote lock button 2x, the car would honk and lights would flash to confirm activation; lights would flash to confirm unlocking.

Now, the (main) problem:

Since last night (almost 6-7 days since the jump start), my car alarm has been going off with no rhyme or reason to it. The car is locked and all doors are shut, and no one is near the car. There is no regular interval to the alarm. Sometimes, I'll deactivate the alarm only to have it go off again a few minutes later. Other times, it's once and done. Whether it's one alarm or multiple, it usually goes off about 3-5 minutes after the car has been parked and locked -- but not always.

In full, the alarm has gone off 5-6 times within the past 12 hours. As far as I know, last night was the first instance of the alarm going off in the entire time I've owned the car.

However, I have ALSO just noticed since last night that the car no longer honks when I press "lock" twice. Lights still flash for lock and unlock -- but no horn.

Question #1: Is this issue a delayed result of the battery drain & jump start a week ago, or a possible indicator of another (on-going) battery drain?

Question #2: How do I reset the anti-theft? I'd like to restore my car to its pristine state before the random car alarms and non-honking remote locks. (And DIY methods are preferred!)

Like I said before, I could find lots of other people online with similar issues, but none of them had received assistance with a fix. Hoping this forum community can help!

Big thanks in advance to anyone who can walk me through this!
Old 11-11-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Reset anti-theft after battery drain?

I would try disconnecting the 2 pin connector that is under the hood mounted to the horizontal metal cross frame behind the hood latch. (it is for the hood switch used for alarm) With this disconnected give it a try to see if still triggers, the other possibility make be the trunk latch switch causing trigger.