8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012_Civic_EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Maintenance Schedule

I know that the i-MID will provide information on when servicing is required...but still would like some opinions on the general maintenance schedule.

Could someone that had a recent generation Civic let me know what is the general maintenance schedule? And when the major servicing (timing belt, plugs, etc) occurs?

Also what the general life of the brakes, alternators, water pump, etc.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Maintenance Schedule

That stuff should be in your driver's manual. Honda, well at least for my car, recommends changing the timing belt at 100k. Water pump is usually done during that procedure. The brakes are usually changed at either 2 years or 30,000 miles. That number may be a little different. Alternators are usually replaced when they just....die I suppose. Never had one conk out on me. But like I said, that stuff should be in your owner's manual.
Old 06-14-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

R18 is a chain.

Maintenance indicator may be similar to the 8ths mm ?? It would push your oci to 7500 + if you would let it go that long (not me)

Plugs and serpentine belt 80-100k, ATF 25k

I set my own schedule for service.
Old 06-14-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know whether or not they used chains or belts. The tension does need to be adjusted every now and then on those though, right?
Old 06-14-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

It uses an auto-tensioner.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
That stuff should be in your driver's manual. Honda, well at least for my car, recommends changing the timing belt at 100k. Water pump is usually done during that procedure. The brakes are usually changed at either 2 years or 30,000 miles. That number may be a little different. Alternators are usually replaced when they just....die I suppose. Never had one conk out on me. But like I said, that stuff should be in your owner's manual.
Absolutely NO information in the manual regarding the maintenance cycle. The reliance is totally on the i-MID. That is why I am interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

20twelve is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really want to know the proper time to do maintenance to the car, you need to routinely check your fluids, brakes, tires, etc. The maintenance minder you see on the iMid screen is very good at computing oil life. It bases oil life % depending on how you drive the car, however it isn't capable of taking into account the climate you live in, or if you drive through a lot of dusty areas or dirt roads; all of which combine to affect your engine's oil life. So I recommend checking your oil level and color routinely (atleast once a month).

As for other things, the car has no way of keeping tabs on them, other than let you know if the level is below a certain amount or is malfunctioning.

If you aren't familiar with maintaining certain things on your car, I recommend taking it to a Honda dealer and asking their advice.

A basic maintenance schedule for any gasoline vehicle would be:
-Oil every 5-7k (nowadays motors are much more efficient and don't require oil changes every 3k)
-Tire rotations with each oil change
-Air filters 15k
-tranny fluid...really depends on the preference. Some ppl like to change it every 25-50k, others never change it. Research and ask professionals
-brake fluid ~30k
--blah blah
It's mostly common sense, and really depends on how you drive. If you don't feel comfortable with something, call or stop by the dealer (or service center preference).
Hope this helps some.
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 20twelve
If you really want to know the proper time to do maintenance to the car, you need to routinely check your fluids, brakes, tires, etc. The maintenance minder you see on the iMid screen is very good at computing oil life. It bases oil life % depending on how you drive the car, however it isn't capable of taking into account the climate you live in, or if you drive through a lot of dusty areas or dirt roads; all of which combine to affect your engine's oil life. So I recommend checking your oil level and color routinely (atleast once a month).

As for other things, the car has no way of keeping tabs on them, other than let you know if the level is below a certain amount or is malfunctioning.

If you aren't familiar with maintaining certain things on your car, I recommend taking it to a Honda dealer and asking their advice.

A basic maintenance schedule for any gasoline vehicle would be:
-Oil every 5-7k (nowadays motors are much more efficient and don't require oil changes every 3k)
-Tire rotations with each oil change
-Air filters 15k
-tranny fluid...really depends on the preference. Some ppl like to change it every 25-50k, others never change it. Research and ask professionals
-brake fluid ~30k
--blah blah
It's mostly common sense, and really depends on how you drive. If you don't feel comfortable with something, call or stop by the dealer (or service center preference).
Hope this helps some.

So basically basic stuff. Nothing extreme. Nothing unique. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2011
Honda Civic 2012

Strangazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2012_Civic_EX
I know that the i-MID will provide information on when servicing is required...but still would like some opinions on the general maintenance schedule.

Could someone that had a recent generation Civic let me know what is the general maintenance schedule? And when the major servicing (timing belt, plugs, etc) occurs?

Also what the general life of the brakes, alternators, water pump, etc.

Thanks.
http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...-30575-52430-0 the site will guide you through what you need to do when you need it too.