8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

New '11 Civic LX Sedan!- Breaking In Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillies is an unknown quantity at this point
New '11 Civic LX Sedan!- Breaking In Tranny?

I got my '11 Civic LX Sedan (Auto) (190 miles) this past weekend!

So I heard I'm supposed to be gentle for the first 5,000 miles and then less gentle for the next 15,000 miles. And to change the oil after 1,000 miles. Any other tips?

I've had the car for about 4 days...only issue I'm having is it 'clunks' into reverse when I back out of my driveway. Also, sometimes it shifts into gears strangely during acceleration from a red light.

Is this a problem? Or is this the car figuring out how to shift?

Also, is it wise to have AC on when breaking it in? It's in the 90's here this week.
Old 05-31-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New '11 Civic LX Sedan!- Breaking In Tranny?

if you are parking on an incline, it can clunk going to reverse. very bad for the trans btw. which is why you should always set the e-brake before putting it in park. and then when you drive it next time, put your foot on the brake, lower the ebrake, then shift to R.
Old 06-05-2011
Grey and Grouchy

Crusty is an unknown quantity at this point

I also just took delivery on my 2011 LX auto coupe last week. Follow gearbox's advice about the parking brake. Regarding break-in, you should not have to do anything special for break-in of the tranny or anything else on this car. Just be kind and gentle for the first 1000 miles to let everything set in. A buddy of mine works for the local Honda dealer, his suggestion on oil changes is to keep the original Honda oil in it for the first oil life cycle, but not more than 6 - 8 months. Honda uses a high detergent oil that aids in the initial engine wear so it is wise to keep that in. AC on or off makes no difference, just drive like a gentleman for the first 1K.
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Phillies is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much! A guy I know advised me to change the oil at the 1,000 mile mark to "get all the dirt from the parts meshing together" out of the car.

If your friend is Honda tech, I suppose I should trust his advice more.

Right now I have a whopping 280 miles.

And I did the parking brake thing and haven't clunked the tranmission going into R since.
Old 06-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i would try to go 4-5k for the first oil change. it has special break-in additives for the engine to function properly and get everything seated. replacement oil will not have this.
Old 06-23-2011
Grey and Grouchy

Crusty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
i would try to go 4-5k for the first oil change. it has special break-in additives for the engine to function properly and get everything seated. replacement oil will not have this.

^ Yeah, that.