8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 Radio Keeps Resetting 3 Minutes

Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mlmpetert is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Radio Keeps Resetting 3 Minutes

Hi, new to the forum..... and need help.

I have a 2006 4 door EX.

About a week ago I replaced the battery and now i have a problem with the radio. Every 3 minutes on the dot the radio turns off completely and i have to reenter the security code. Once i reenter the code i have radio access again, but then it turns off and i repeat the process again and again in order to listen to the radio. Each time i get the radio back the presets remain and i can use the radio as normal, albeit for 3 minutes.....

I hold 1, 6 and power and then enter 45522. This is the code i got from calling honda and giving them my vin. The honda dealership has no idea what im talking about them when i describe the problem and tell me i need to bring it in....... not trying to take it to a dealership if i dont have to.

Also checked a couple fuses and i only identified 1 radio fuse (7.5 volt) and it was fine. Should there be 2 fuses going to the radio, one that supplies backup battery to keep time and presets and one that powers the radio during regular operation? If so i cant locate separate fuses.

Any thoughts or ideas would help

thanks,

noob
Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough
Re: 2006 Radio Keeps Resetting 3 Minutes

I had this problem after replacing the battery in my 99 540i... may not be a Honda but all I did was pull that radio fuse(just 1 under hood), disconnected the positive lead, held the brake peddle, tried to flash the lights.... anything to remove the power from the resistors inside the vehicle. After looking like an idiot in the car for about a minute I plugged the fuse back in, then reattached the positive lead. (good time to check your connections) entered my radio code, and never had another problem with it. Make sure that both of your connections are tight, positive&negative because this is the only thing you have messed with. If all else fails turn the car on, and hook up a multimeter to the battery and read voltage. Should be 13.5V, at a minimum, to check and see if your alternator is still strong (monitor for 30 seconds for fluctuation). Or bother your local autozone and parking lot borrow a multimeter. After that Honda and 80 bucks for diagnostics will guide you in the right direction. Hope some of this helps, and good luck!

*NOTE: If done correctly you should loose your presets, and time.