8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

HID headlight oppinions

Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point
HID headlight oppinions

So I traded in some books on Amazon and I will soon have about a $90 credit and I was looking to get something for my car.

I do a lot of night driving on dark country roads with deer and I was thinking some HID lights for the high beams would be a good addition. Has anyone had any experience with these? They seem pretty straight forward to install. Just plug in the wires and mount the ballasts somewhere out of the way, right? Other than that its just changing a light bulb correct? Any brands to try to get or to stay away from? ALso I've heard that the DRL function of the lights does not work with HIDs?

Would you try to do the low beams as well? Pros/cons? Any legal issues to lookout for? If I could keep the cost to around $60 that would be great, I want to get some Razo pedals too.

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID headlight oppinions

well you do need a separate relay harness. plugging them to stock wiring is a mistake and can melt/destroy the factory harness. hids draw much higher amps than halogen on startup. hid in the hi beam is fine so long as you are not switching it on and off alot which will ruin the bulbs and ballasts. they also can take upto a minute to fully warm up. overall, prolly better to upgrade the halogen bulbs.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok good to know, this project had to go on the back burner apparently my credit doesnt apply to items not sold directly by amazon... So i will probably look elsewhere for a kit.

How much turning them on and off would create a problem?

Also can I hook the relay into the plug for the original lights so that circuit would activate the relay therefore switching on and off the HID system? I was thinking that way I would keep all the original control functions.

Also I have heard of some issues with the DRLs would pulling the fuse and disabling them solve the complications?

And I think I want to use the high beams so there is less of a chance of being pulled over. Any experience with legality of these lights and how often the laws are enforced?

Last edited by 07exNavi; 05-20-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

-turning them on/off too much greatly reduces their life, just like fluorescent bulb

-you can hook relay to the original plug yes, so the stock switch works like normal. i have details in a different thread about the exact wiring to do.

-yes you would need to pull the drl fuse for any hid setup unless you only do hid lo beams. simply pulling both drl fuses will solve the problem.

-for hi beam hid, technically they are illegal but so long as you turn them off within 500 ft of oncoming traffic there shouldnt be a problem.

-