8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Question... 8th gen 2011, or 9th 2012? Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LookingAtSi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question... 8th gen 2011, or 9th 2012? Engine?

Hello everyone,

I am currently a Honda driver, and being happy with the simplicity/reliability (but wanting more performance), I have been taking a look at getting a Civic Si.

Currently, what I have thought of is:

1. The 17" rim upgrade (I like the design better, and heard it is lighter, but really it was just preference over the standard design).
2. The performance brakes... not because I plan on driving fast, but because I will be driving A LOT in the mountains, and brakes that resist heat better and cool faster are important for the repeat, sharp turns.
3. The CD changer... I will use my iPod a lot, but still have a ton of CDs and like the option.

My questions are:

1. Should I just wait longer, and go for the 9th Gen? Is there any significant performance/electronics upgrade?

2. How much performance could I gain without sacrificing reliability? I don't plan on racing this car or anything, but have on multiple occasions almost been run off the interstate by truckers not paying attention, or people on back-country roads driving drunk (or so I assume). I would prefer being able to quickly shift and get out of the way, instead of braking hard and trying to find a good place to slide off the road.

I am a Civic Si novice, I've been reading over several threads here and over some I have found on Google, and just wanted to directly ask these questions to get the opinions of more knowledgeable people.

Thank you!

EDIT: After looking heavily at the supposed/guessed specs for the new 9th generation, there seems to be a lot of speculation that it will be a non-VTEC 2.4L engine, with more torque and less horsepower. It seems like the larger engine would reduce fuel economy, and for a car being used mostly to drive and not haul, the 2011 would be a better bet for power and economy.

Also, why does it seem that everyone labels the Civic as near the bottom of its class? For the price range (Mazda 3/Mazda 6/Altima/Scion/etc) it seems like the Si is the best performer that is actually a car, and not a crossover design... Can someone help with this?

Last edited by LookingAtSi; 03-16-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: More questions
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Question... 8th gen 2011, or 9th 2012? Engine?

nobody can answer for the 9th gen, only honda test drivers. Also, no one did dig this new facelift.
Mazda 3's are monsters in racing. the others are simply cars.
Si's are good, but nowhere close to the older hatch Si is my understanding.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LookingAtSi is an unknown quantity at this point

The Speed3 just isn't "car" to me... it is wider, heavier, and looks like a crossover/CR-V style instead of a car.

Either way... I talked to a friend who knows Hondas pretty well. I am thinking of getting Hondata to re-program the ECU for a lower VTEC kick (4,500 instead of 6,500 RPM), giving me more AUC with respects to horsepower. The Hondata site states that an intake (and/or head) upgrade are required, to stop a dip in performance with the early VTEC kick. K&N seems to have a decent reputation, and the Hondata dyno testing shows a 10% increase in WHP (217) with these two modifications to the car.

Those two options are simple, yet effective, and I think will last me for now.

Also- I had a recommendation of an AJ Performance turbo kit. Not cheap by any means ($5,000), but requires no permanent modification to the engine, with claims of up to 420 WHP with proper tuning without sacrificing the daily driving/reliability characteristics of the car... does anyone here think it would be worth penny-pinching for this kit to add later, or no?
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I own a Mazda Miata - visually i have my concerns with all the "hoooow cuuute" comments... Honestly... But they are monsters... Can't compete with my 7th gen civic - i would need a 6th gen 89 vic to get to them.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-right-me.html