8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Short ram or Cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dewime is an unknown quantity at this point
Short ram or Cold air intake?

I have a 09 ex. Is it better to go with the sri or the cai? And is there even any difference in Horsepower gain?

Last edited by dewime; 02-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Short ram or Cold air intake?

scroll down a few lines. just need a few effort on your fingers
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ir-intake.html
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

Thanks i was looking at the weapon R. You think the old intake is gonna be a pain to remove?
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

check bobdodolina intake and think if it is worth the price to pay for a brand one and to get maybe 3 or 5 ponies?
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

Even though it wont be much which do you think would give the most power?
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

where do you live - does it rain much or much water in the ground? if yes, go SRI. If no, and it's hot, go for CAI (they suck water - they are placed close to ground to suck colder air, but they suck water as well).
as informed in the link posted, an E-bay piping with a good filter will just do the csame unless you have much more in your engine (CAM, ECU, etc, prolly over 4k easily to go up to 50hp, maybe).
If you just want the bling, find the shiniest pipes.
If you want power, find yourself a Si instead of the EX.
Or go to the magazine stand and see the newest KRZ in the hinda tuning magazine, courtesy ot LHT tuning -t ehy will be lighter and give better torque/weight ratios

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

do you live in an area that rains a lot or gathers puddles? That was the CAI vs SRI argument for me. I live in Vegas, and when it rains, we often get flash flood warnings. Why is that an issue? if the intake picks up enough water, you can hydrolock your engine.

I stuck with an SRI because the difference in "gains" were negligible.

edit: damn, sandro beat me to it..
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
edit: damn, sandro beat me to it..
CAI and living in Quebec, so i dodge water puddles constantly
That's why i am also called Dai"dodge" (bwaaahahahaha! - evil laugh)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-28-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

I wanted to just get a little more power out of a daily driver but i know an si would have been a better choice
Old 02-28-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
CAI and living in Quebec, so i dodge water puddles constantly
That's why i am also called Dai"dodge" (bwaaahahahaha! - evil laugh)
"大dodge"?

Originally Posted by dewime
I wanted to just get a little more power out of a daily driver but i know an si would have been a better choice
If anything, it'll give you more noise than sound. Sure, I opted for a spendy *** SRI (AEM V2), but my butt dyno told me it gave me more "gains" than my old Weapon*R Dragon intake. Plus, it has the AEM dryflow filter.
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Far as I know, the R18 engine is very similar to the D17A2 in the 7th gen D17A2 - does not respond well to any mods - they are already topped on what they can deliver without going very far in mods. They are econo cars with a marketing that calls them "sport" (quaquaqua!).
no easy shortcut to a econo engine. Sorry to break the news, but you got the wrong car.
And from a quick search, i could not find the best single simple mod for the 8th gen - crower cam - it seem they did not make one for the 8th gen civic...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-28-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

"大dodge"?
Oh, yeah, if it's big, i sure dodge them
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

I live in texas it dosent rain that much but i would still rather play it safe with a sri. I was told that the sri sucks up the hot air in the hood and was wondering if it really effected anything?
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

that's the reason the cai exists. very rare to snow in TX too, except for this year, but come on... look at this...
Name:  Untitled-1copy.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  40.8 KB
up here, we are driving these - much better mileage per bone (warning - might not pass emissions depending on fuel the day before and driver is in the way of exhaust ports ):
Name:  220px-DogSledRace.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  4.6 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

The only problem is when it does rain it rains alot. I would rather have a cai because it does get pretty hot in the summer. is there any way to minimize the water that runs up in there?
Old 02-28-2011
Administrator
Administrator

I live in Vegas.. It gets hot as HELL here.. and I'm still rockin an SRI. Solely based on the fact that when it rains here, streets turn into rivers.

but, it sounds like you're set on getting the CAI, so go for it.. You can nab an AEM bypass valve, but I've heard that's only effective if the filter is completely submerged in water.. Not so much if it's not..
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

have you ever had a problem with it getting to hot?
Old 02-28-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Nope. That's why I'm still rockin the SRI. Engine temps stay happy.

Only thing that got too hot was my seatbelt. Damn thing burned the **** out of me when I decided to sit in my driver seat wearing a wifebeater..
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

Lol what brand did you go with?
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

I personally have been in storms pretty close to where tornadoes touched down (in TN/GA/SC)- only thing i did was to change to right lane and slow down (no other option anyway) or avoid any places that i knew there were water accumulation chances.
Honestly, you just worrying too much.
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

Well I think I goin with the cai. And thanks for the help
Old 02-28-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by dewime
Lol what brand did you go with?
*ahem* lol
Sure, I opted for a spendy *** SRI (AEM V2)
Old 02-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

just slow down (you can't see in front anyway when the water raises enough to cause troubles) to the right lane to be able to "dodge" the puddles without crossing the lanes and keep away from the areas the water accumulates - i was in nashville TN, remember that there was a large flooding there too?