8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drdoom76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold Air Intake

I have a 2009 Civic Si.. I'm looking for a cold air intake that is good. Every website for a cold air intake says they have the best.. yada yada. I'm just confused on which one to go for. I'm looking for one that has the best hp gain with the best gas mileage gain as well. A combination of the two. I live in Ohio, so the weather varies from dry to wet and snow. Can anyone recommend an intake that is actually worth somethin? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Cold Air Intake

You aren't really going to see much of an increase in HP to be honest. Your throttle response may be more sensitive, but the gains from an intake are gonna be pretty small. If, you're looking for more HP, your best bet would probably be some headers.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

what about gas mileage? My wife's all about that crap. Lmao.
Old 02-09-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Eh, you may, you may not. If you don't have a lead foot, you could possibly see gains since the car is being more efficient with the air. Over the life of the vehicle though, I don't think you would see a major boost in savings. Most people who go with headers and exhaust though aren't looking for gains in fuel economy though.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

would you recommend a kind of intake though? AEM, Injen, K&N, just about all of them say the same crap..
Old 02-09-2011
Trance Addict

Lol. I have an AEM one personally. I notice more pep in the lower RPM range. It's a short ram intake though. The water around where I work gets bad, so I'd rather play it safe.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

What is the difference between short ram and normal?
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

and what the heck is "MR Technology"?
Old 02-09-2011
Trance Addict

The cold air intake goes down, from what was recently installed on my car, into the bumper to suck in cold air from outside. The short ram just basically takes up the space the stock air filter and box take up. I had a CAI, and for the reasons I had stated, switched it out. The CAI gave the car more power in the higher RPM range, whereas my SRI seemed to give the car more pep in day to day driving.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Awesome.. It seems to be between these three unless you have other suggestions..
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...222/index.html
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...303/index.html
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...023/index.html
Old 02-09-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Before it had an untimely date with a tree, my 07' coupe sounded SICK with a Weapon R SRI...gave it an addicting growl over 3k rpm.

Id go short ram before cold air any day. then you dont have to worry bout swerving round potholes lol and the hp/fuel thing is horse **** anyway lol it just makes it sound sweet.
Old 02-09-2011
Trance Addict

Lol. Yeah man. Hydrolock is no joke. My friend has his Vic do that to him. The puddle wasn't even that big. 2 grand......
Old 02-09-2011

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Oh man I gotta show you some pics of REAL hydro lock! I was out jeepin with my uncle and this guy got washed down a creek at @5' deep, swamped the whole cabin and engine.
That **** had it up an runnin again in @ an hour, took out the spark plugs and cranked the engine, spit out all the water! It was certainly something to see! I think I may have pics of that one, LOL I'll get em up after work
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Wow.. That's crazy.. So i'd be safe goin with the Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake? It's short ram right?
Old 02-09-2011

Yeah man, short ram is the way to go IMO. Brand is still up to you.
But I remember doin some research on it and once I found out hp gains were minimal at best, I went for the one that people said sounded the best. And it did.
You'll prolly LOOSE mpg's when you get, cause you'll want to rev that beast just to hear it growl
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

And if you stay off the throttle and drive normal?
Old 02-09-2011

Meh...who wants to do that??! LOL
I mean you do get 'better' mpgs...its just something you really wont see as far as a dollar amount saved at the pump.

But to prove it to your gf, just pull up one of the mfg's sites and they may have gains listed there? Idunno. Its a civic man! they've been great on gas since the 80's lol

Or the classic line 'Just trust me, baby' may do the trick
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Lmao. She's too smart for the last one.. I pulled up a bunch of trusted websites with stats about them. She's thinkin about it now. Lol. Thanks for the help.. Looks like i'm going for the Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake.
Old 02-09-2011

Sweet man. You'll be happy with it.
It's a lil bit of a bitch to get the foam element out of the cage its inside to clean it, but it aint hard. And you dont really need to clean it alot...like every other oil change or thee...unless you drive alot of dirt roads.

If you liked my advice, REP me one for it!!
Old 02-16-2011
Registered!!

SubieSTI555 is an unknown quantity at this point

In theory you are supposed to get a "small" increase in mpg if you continue to drive the way you normally do but most people when they hear the difference in how their engine sounds it makes them drive harder which in turn cancels the increase in mpg and as for CAI ive had one on my civic for 4 years now ive driven through pretty intense rain storms, drove through fairly deep puddles and even hit my fair share of potholes and never had any trouble with it now if u decide to drive through a lake that will definitely make it suck up water lol AEM also makes a attachment that you put midway through your intake pipe and it will filter out any water you may suck up, but its all personal preference either way you will enjoy the mod.
Old 02-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh, the brand name does not do much... just slap an e-bay tube and *important* a good filter like AEM and you done.
Old 02-17-2011
Registered!!

So.. the Secret R pipe is the exact same as any pipe??
Old 02-17-2011

Honestly, no. The design of the pipe itself is not a strait pipe. Its kind of a pipe inside a pipe, hard to explain. I

Whatever it does it does it good, and if you have the money go for it. The ebay pipe/AEM filter route is another option, and simply that.

Myself, I have a modified airbox. Most of the plastic stuff removed, with a factory replacement K&N filter and a screen I fashioned out of a hand collander and pipe adaptors. I will post pics later today maybe...

oh and the guy who sunk his jeep, LOL, i dont have any good pics, I was just watching in awe and didnt think so snap any, it all went down pretty quick, LOL
Old 02-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Yes, but question is always: how much power are you going to get? 5 ponies? is it worth the price?
They might starting making difference with heaviers mods on the engine itself, not much in a stock engine
Old 02-17-2011

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Yes, but question is always: how much power are you going to get? 5 ponies? is it worth the price?
They might starting making difference with heaviers mods on the engine itself, not much in a stock engine

Second that! Rep for you, sdaidoji
Old 02-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
Second that! Rep for you, sdaidoji
and than this comes in my profile:

"French advice at its finest!!"
Bwaaahahaha!
Thanks, you made my day! I had a blast reading that!
unfortunately i cannot give you another rep (site restrictions - already gave you one sometime ago )

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-17-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2011

As promised:
My ghetto fabalous intake

Name:  P2160708.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  68.2 KB

And a few more shots. Had to cut off the plastic tab thing, and bend back a metal one:

Name:  P2160711.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  65.4 KB

The finished product:

Name:  P2160732.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  59.5 KB

I got some better ones but my camera aint behavin' right now
Old 02-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Wow!
You did a much better job than this one (just for reference, note the thread name )
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ever-done.html
Old 02-18-2011

Thanks sdaidoji , I wondered if I overdid it by using the bigger collander screen...it was the only screen material that was A. heavier and still having a tight mesh and, B. formed to shape. Guess it worked out! Like I said I will try to get a better shot up in a few days.

But that all it takes, folks. A trip to the hardware store with an idea!
Old 02-19-2011

Heres the better pic:

Name:  P2180733.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  75.3 KB