8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Dealer OEM upgrades vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sophocles is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealer OEM upgrades vs aftermarket

Hello, first time poster.

I'm wondering what the general feeling is regarding the OEM upgrades offered by the dealer on new cars vs. aftermarket parts.

I'm planning to buy a new Civic Si in the near future (either 2010 or 2011 model) and I can't decide if I should get it fully loaded with all the dealer options (like the "sport muffler" and "sport brake kit") or if I should get it bone stock and upgrade everything on my own with aftermarket parts.

What are the pros and cons to each approach?
Old 10-15-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dealer OEM upgrades vs aftermarket

oem is better built for certain parts, but they do not have a big selection. so for aftermarket just stick with known brands and usually they will work out.
Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

The only OEM part/stuff I'd use is is the transmission fluid. Everything else can be substituted using aftermarket parts.

But if you're talking about getting performance parts from the dealer I wouldn't just for cost reasons. They charge up the @$$. You can buy them elsewhere for less.

OEM body kit parts are another I'd buy just cuz they look clean.
Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point

OEM body parts are better. Pretty much any OEM part for looks is better besides rims but even their rims are nice just the price is insane.
Old 10-15-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Don't buy any aftermarket body kits or rims, all that stuff looks like garbage. You'll see plenty of it on this site. Performance parts, sure aftermarket is the way to go.
Old 10-15-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't buy aftermarket rims...?
Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Don't buy aftermarket rims...?
Old 10-15-2010
Banned

Rims... mmmaybe. I just like the conservative look. I have seen very few cars where the rims look correct on the car. This site, once again is full of perfect examples. But, I will say that a brand new Civic has a much better chance of the rims looking decent because it has modern styling so matching it with modern rims makes sense. A 9 year old civic with modern rims is like putting a chandelier in a trailer park home.
Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

Sophocles is an unknown quantity at this point

So I understand the OEM body upgrades offered by the dealer (front & rear underspoiler) are going to look better than any aftermarket body kit. Is it possible to get these elsewhere, or are they only available from the dealer?
Old 10-15-2010
Banned

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
Says the guy that not only doesn't own a floor jack, but also can't figure out how to jack up his car without bending his unibody. >>https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-me-crazy.html
Old 10-15-2010
Banned

Originally Posted by Sophocles
So I understand the OEM body upgrades offered by the dealer (front & rear underspoiler) are going to look better than any aftermarket body kit. Is it possible to get these elsewhere, or are they only available from the dealer?
OEM is OEM; you don't have to order them on the car, you can buy them later. But they will still be made by Honda and the price wont be any better. You're better off buying them on the car, they will certainly be cheaper when buying the car, than separately.
Old 10-15-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prodresurgence
Rims... mmmaybe. I just like the conservative look. I have seen very few cars where the rims look correct on the car. This site, once again is full of perfect examples. But, I will say that a brand new Civic has a much better chance of the rims looking decent because it has modern styling so matching it with modern rims makes sense. A 9 year old civic with modern rims is like putting a chandelier in a trailer park home.
Fair enough. When I read your post, I was thinking I'd rather have a set of Volk TE37s or CE28s than HPF rims. That and I like the way my Buddy Club rims look, and they're lightweight (my 17's weighed in at 17.5 a piece), so that was an extra added bonus. Then again, the Volks are expensive as hell

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
Says the guy that not only doesn't own a floor jack, but also can't figure out how to jack up his car without bending his unibody. >>https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-me-crazy.html
Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

Really? REALLY?

A simple got you commenting and going out of your way to find that thread and link it? Someone's butt hurt.

Here, open wide, here's a lollipop for you.

And here's some more :rofl mao:
Old 10-15-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Name:  Popcorn.gif
Views: 68
Size:  2.9 KB
Old 10-15-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most oem rims are matched to the civic hub and give that smooth ride we all know. aftermarket are usually universal hub and can cause vibrations. i love my aftermarkets but its not fun driving on the freeway with a shakey steering wheel (that only would get fixed by swapping back to oem rims).

if you want cheaper oem parts, check www.handaaccessories.com they are usually much lower price than most dealers.
Old 10-16-2010
Registered!!

hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point

Bone stock
Much better stereo stuff & alarm sysyems available aftermarket w/out dealer markups. My 1st 96 hatch I got from the dealer w/radio (POS), alarm (POS, shitty wiring job) and nice ASC moonroof installed by ASC (wiring still below my standards) all w/dealer markups. 9 months later it was totalled and i got a bone stock cx. Installed Alpine & Kicker stereo system myself, had a higher end security system put in by a shop that installed it to my liking, and had an ASC moonroof installed by ASC to my liking.
The dealer price for the alarm was 300$, aftermarket was 535$. Dealer price for the moonroof was 1600$, mine was 1000$. Stereo was no comparison cuz aftermarket was like 4Gs but sounded awesome.
Almost any upgrades u can get better & done better & cheaper than from dealer if u do your homework.
And the Borbet rims for my summer tires have never given any problems.
Old 10-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hb pickup
Stereo was no comparison cuz aftermarket was like 4Gs but sounded awesome.
Holy crap, you spent 4G's on a sound system?
What did you get?
Deck with touch screen carputer, 2 18's and, amps for every speaker, crossovers, and custom EQ?? all enclosed in a custom enclosure?

I cant even list enough things for 4k sound system :X
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Holy crap, you spent 4G's on a sound system?
What did you get?
Deck with touch screen carputer, 2 18's and, amps for every speaker, crossovers, and custom EQ?? all enclosed in a custom enclosure?

I cant even list enough things for 4k sound system :X
Seriously.. I have an Alpine iDA deck, infinity reference 6"x9" rear speakers, alpine type-r 6.5" front speakers, 2 alpine PDX amps, a Monster 1-Farad cap, Alpine imprint unit, JL Audio 13TW5 sub, and connected it all with a JL audio 0-ga 2-amp wiring kit, and all that only cost me about $1500.. Plus 50-100 bucks in materials for my sub box.
Old 10-16-2010
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

$4,000 on a sound system.lol.@ OP good luck finding a 2010/2011 SI.There's a shortage of new SI's.The plant in Canada where SI's are assembled had a lot of workers laid off in 2009/2010.Honda has released the 2011 Si,but a few months ago,if you went to the dealer.They would've told you Honda was redesigning the Si for 2011.That was bs.Honda is redesigning all Civic models in 2012.I don't trust salespersons.So deceiving.
Old 12-28-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ your kinda late to this thread.