8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

ABS and dry road ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS and dry road ?

Does the ABS work on dry asphalt and is it noticeable ?
I had to do a panic stop the other day from about 35-40 and the barkes locked up on me. Thought the ABS should kick in- but I did not feel the pulse in the pedal. Heard a bit of a screetch.

I have a 2007 EX coupe with auto- and I did replace tires with awesome Potenza pole positions 6 months ago, and 3000 miles ago had all 4 disc pads replaced with HAWK HPS set.

The car brakes much harder now, but was wondering if I screwed up the ABS- shouldn't it adjust based upon wheel slippage etc ?
Old 08-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ABS and dry road ?

hmm maybe its less noticable on the newer civics. but it should come on whenever the wheels start to lock, even on dry pavement. maybe the tires are just gripping the road better and abs doesnt have to work as hard.
Old 08-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

^ that.

If you just changed pads (and no other brake component), you wouldn't have done anything to affect your ABS functionality.

NOTE: the following paragraph is just me theorizing - I'm not an expert by any means, but I am pretty good at brainstorming and asking questions:
Could also be speed-related (you weren't going THAT fast). It could also depend on whether you're doing straight-line braking or not. ABS is designed to apply braking force while still allowing steering control of the car. Maybe it realized, based on traction/speed/steering, that it didn't need to engage the ABS system?

If possible, go to a LARGE empty parking lot or deserted middle-of-nowhere roadway and test at various speeds? If concerned, have it officially tested.
Old 08-06-2010
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

i thought you would hear a little screeching even with the ABS. just as long as it's not one long SCREEEECH. i can only guess here, as the only time i've actually felt ABS kick in and do it's thing, I was driving an STi and exiting a freeway in San Jose. (glad it did too, cause 1) it wasn't my car. 2) it was sold through a broker. 3) i was taking it to another broker to be delivered to the kid's parents, since the kid couldn't obviously afford it)

theorizing here too...

just teh screeching being the ABS slightly letting off the pads, and adjusting around... maybe that was the screeching you heard. if anything, find an empty lot some day (or night for a little more safety) and test it out some...
Old 08-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by grendel
If possible, go to a LARGE empty parking lot or deserted middle-of-nowhere roadway and test at various speeds? If concerned, have it officially tested.
Might not be a bad idea. When the ABS kicks in it will feel like the car is going to rattle apart. Also, regular braking is default when the ABS isn't working right.