8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

ABS info light / Gearbox 2nd gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hajay is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS info light / Gearbox 2nd gear problem

Hi all

I have a 06 Civic 5d coupe (the euro model), and I've been having two small issues with it, that I'm not quite sure are normal or not.

Firstly, the info system sometimes warns me about the ABS system when I start the car. It just pops up for a couple of seconds and then it's gone. Is this supposed to happen? The manual says the ABS light should go on when starting, but as far as I can tell, it should be the one in the dash, and not through the info system?

I'm refering to the (i) icon, and after that after pressing the i button on the wheel, the icon changes to an ABS icon.

Second, the 2nd gear sometimes fails to change in. It gets a similar feel as the 1st gear - ie. when you're still going a bit fast for 1st - but in any car I've driven in past the 2nd gear never had this same feature, so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the gearbox. Again, as far as I can tell, the 2nd gear should feel pretty much the same as the 3, 4, 5 and 6.

I had the dealer take a look at them - didn't seem to figure anything out. Then again, it wasn't very confidence-inspiring when they didn't seem to understand what the difference between the info system and the dash ABS light were...

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ABS info light / Gearbox 2nd gear problem

the ! icon is for park brake and brake fluid level. i would check the fluid level cause it could be a tad low and barely low enough to trigger the light. low fluid could also affect the abs system and cause that light to turn on also. it does sound like you have a trans problem but i wouldnt know where to start. im not too familiar with the info system on these newer cars, but check everything "brake" related like fluid and pads. so long as the light goes off and stays off most of the time, youre prolly fine.
Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hajay is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ABS info light / Gearbox 2nd gear problem

hm I guess I'll need to tell the dealer to take another look at it since they just cleaned the gearbox or something and said that should fix it.. (didn't)

The i light I meant is not the handbrake. That's different from the info system notification icon which looks a bit like it

It might be the fluid levels as you said though... It only comes up for a moment just after the engine has started, so I guess the levels could be going up and down maybe confusing it. However, as it does't happen on every start I'm not so sure. I do get a feeling it happens more on cold days.