8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Rear impact protection

Old 10-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ionutneicu is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear impact protection

Hi everybody, I'm the unlucky "champion" of rear impacts, I received 2 rear hits in single month !
In first one, a Ford Mondeo hit me in the back smashing my back bumper and trunk lids.
The second one, a Mercedes E220 caused even more damage like in pictures I made later ( I removed back bumper, this time it has been completely broken ) :
http://hondafan.etp.ro/gallery/v/B01PCR/crash/

As you can see Civics has no rear protection at all. At smallest impact, the bumper will not give any protection. So your back trunk made by soft steel panel will get smashed. As result, your trunk lid will not close anymore. I saw in service the civic hatchbacks and accords and they have that rear bar protection !

Has anyone tuned this part ? Is a good idea to try mount some rear impact bar ?

Last edited by ionutneicu; 10-09-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justme2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rear impact protection

cars are designed to compress during an impact. This absorbs the energy of the impact and saves your life. Your trading your care for your life. it's a fair trade as far as I am concerned. I believe that anything over a 10mph collision has the potential to cause enough damage to total a modern auto.
Old 10-15-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear impact protection

hondas have some of the worst rear crash ratings ive ever seen, i think its only 1/4 stars or something. you always hear them advertise perfect front crash rating, but never rear. a van hit me from the rear while i was stopped and he was doing 35-40mph. i had $8k in damages and they almost totaled the car (at the time, car was worth around 9k). the whole rear of the car was smashed in upto the rear window. lucky the window was fine, that wouldve added another $1k. they replaced trunk, bumper, and both rear panels and had to pull the frame out. overall the body shop did a pretty good job. oh yeah, the van had a few scratches on the bumper but was mostly just a lil scratched up. nothing a few hundred would fix and some touchup paint.