8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Filled in Diesel instead of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazycrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Filled in Diesel instead of Gas

Hi,

I have 09 Civic

I happened to fill diesel into the car instead of gas. I filled about 2 gallons and then I realized that i was filling diesel. The car already had about 2 gallons gas. I got scared and drove off.

Can anyone tell me what do I do next? One option I could think off was drain off all the fuel from my car then fill it entirely with gas so the remaining traces of diesel will get diluted. This is what I heard but I am not sure if this would be right way..

Can someone please help me out?
Old 09-11-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Re: Filled in Diesel instead of Gas

Holy crap, I find it hard to believe you drove off. I'd be surprised if you made it home.....or even out of the parking lot.

Anyway, if this isn't a joke, you HAVE to siphon the gas out of your tank. Stick a hose in there, suck on the other end and let it all drain out.....all of it. Have a friend take you to the gas station to fill up a container and bring it back to fill your tank FULL....all the way up. Your timing may be off a little with the combustion on the last bit of diesel but it should work itself out.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

TB2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crazycrazy
Hi,

I have 09 Civic

I happened to fill diesel into the car instead of gas. I filled about 2 gallons and then I realized that i was filling diesel. The car already had about 2 gallons gas. I got scared and drove off.

Can anyone tell me what do I do next? One option I could think off was drain off all the fuel from my car then fill it entirely with gas so the remaining traces of diesel will get diluted. This is what I heard but I am not sure if this would be right way..

Can someone please help me out?
I thought the Nozzle's were different sizes on Gas vs Diesel? I am also surprised if this type of fuel made it in there- It ran at all.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for your prompt replies and suggestions

I don't know how I manged to insert the diesel nozzle inside the tank. Probably the car ran coz of the gas that was still inside..I did have some problems like the car would take some time to start once I stopped at a signal
Old 09-11-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TB2008
I thought the Nozzle's were different sizes on Gas vs Diesel? I am also surprised if this type of fuel made it in there- It ran at all.
They are at all the pumps I've used, I tried to put a diesel nozzle into my tank once and couldn't figure out why it didn't fit. Who knows what other small town gas stations use though.
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

over here the diesel pumps look exactly the same and the nozzle is the same size too. they are just green colored handle instead of black. they are even sometimes right next to each other on the same pump. very common and easy to put diesel in. you shouldve towed the car home instead of driving it. i wonder if any diesel car owners have put regular gas inside? lol
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Over here in NY you have to hit a button that says 89 91 93 or whatever so its hard to screw up.

Some guy on youtube shows you what to do if this ever happens. Basically he uses the fuel pump and a piece of hose to pump the fuel out of the tank and into a bucket. He then just fills it with gasoline and lets the rest of the diesel burn off. Simple enough if you ask me. You need something to power the pump while the car is off. Id change the plugs after all the diesel is burned off.

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 09-11-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Scarecrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Over here in NY you have to hit a button that says 89 91 93 or whatever so its hard to screw up.

Some guy on youtube shows you what to do if this ever happens. Basically he uses the fuel pump and a piece of hose to pump the fuel out of the tank and into a bucket. He then just fills it with gasoline and lets the rest of the diesel burn off. Simple enough if you ask me. You need something to power the pump while the car is off. Id change the plugs after all the diesel is burned off.
yep, one of my troops filled one of our diesels with regular gas... i had to use a hand cranked pump to siphon it out, then pump out the siphon tank into a 55 gallon drum and sent it off to hazmat to let them deal with it..

if you need to burn something that normally wont burn, dump that diesel on it and it will burn. Thats how we burned POOP from our outhouses in Iraq.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

So it really is like that movie jarhead huh?
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Hi,

Yes I think I will try to siphon out the (gas+diesel) from the car and then fill the tank completely with gas.

But, I am a bit concerned as I drove my car so there are chances that diesel got into my car engine, so will that be a problem? And I am not sure actually how much got in. Any idea if this would screw up my car?

I also got in touch with a local mechanic who said He'll open up the engine and replace the filters. However, I am not sure if this required.

Also, my car is still under warranty but obviously they won't cover up for my stupidity. But, if I let the mechanic have my car fixed and since he would be replacing the filters etc., will it make my car warranty void?
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol engine filters? thats new to me. i dont think there are any lol. just take out the remaining stuff and fill it up with regular gas. drive it thru the whole tank and change the plugs, im sure it will be okay. any more problems later you can take it back for warranty cause they wont know it had diesel in it before.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Yea, if your mechanic is trying to change your engine filters DO NOT take it to him look elsewhere or do it yourself. lol
Old 09-12-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Make sure he tops up your headlight fluid.