8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Brand new '09 Civic Leaking!

Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valerina is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Brand new '09 Civic Leaking!

Hey everyone, I'm brand new here as I just bought my new Civic not even 2 weeks ago and today I noticed my car was heavily dripping when I have my AC turned on, but when it's off it's fine. I'll be going back to the dealership tomorrow to get them to fix it and tell me what's wrong but it makes me upset since I bought a new car to NOT have any problems for a while. Has anyone heard of this happening? What could it possibly be? How should I go about talking to the dealer about this? I didn't buy extended warranty because I didn't want to go through Honda for all my oil changes since I hear that's what you have to do with ext. warranties to be valid but now I'm reconsidering. I'm just worried it will end up costing me a bit when my warranty runs out and it happening again. Hoping I just didn't get a lemon.
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brand new '09 Civic Leaking!

Heavily dripping from where?
Old 08-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hehe. its water coming out of the a/c condenser. if you want to be sure, just touch it with your finger. completely normal and every car with a/c system will do it.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I was thinking... water coming out of the exhaust pipe while the A/C is running is perfectly normal.

I'm just wondering if this is a serious thread... his post just gives me the vibe that he's being sarcastic.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

to me it sounds like a she
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

yes I'm a she and no it's not leaking from my exhaust but from the front of my car on the right hand side under the hood (when you are sitting in the car). I don't think this should be normal unless all new cars leak with the AC running til the car breaks in

Last edited by valerina; 08-17-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yes i meant front of the car. its water. my 2002 civic does it, 92 accord does it, every new car made with a/c system does it when the a/c is running. if you dont believe me that its water, go feel it and smell it for yourself. the only other two fluids that can possibly leak are oil and coolant. if its not any of those, its water from the a/c. it will happen for the entire life of the car. if it bothers you that fluid is leaking, then keep the ac turned off. the dealer will just laugh at you and send you home if you dont believe me.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

onequickfa5 is an unknown quantity at this point

its water...every car ever made does this...if its blue its coolent and if its brown its oil
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

really? I really hope it's water, later on I'll leave it running and find out what it is (colour/smell). I hope it's water it'll make me very happy to know it's normal and just water. I had an '94 accord before and I don't remember it doing that before. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

it's water condensing near the AC compressor....it's normal for all cars...you can see water all the time when you go to a mall...at least that's where I went to with my wife and my boy
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

okay, it was quite a bit of liquid dripping out but I had the car running for a while in the parking lot and it was a super hot day so hopefully its just the condensation but it was just heavily dripping
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, just the AC pulling moisture out of the air. Its the same as if you go and stand outside by a window AC in your house and you see it dripping. No worries.
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help and the reassurance, now I can just enjoy my new car that really needs a wash badly :P
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by valerina
thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help and the reassurance, now I can just enjoy my new car that really needs a wash badly :P
Mine too...