8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mjlenz is an unknown quantity at this point
HID question

My 07 ex coupe stock headlights suck (lo beam) so I'm thinking about getting an HID kit. Is the stock wiring/electronics sufficient for the mod or am I going to have to do something besides install the kit? I see kits on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW for $60 or best offer. What's some of your expert opinions?
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

Re: HID question

one more question. What color temperature would you all recommend?
Old 06-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it wont be much better than the halogens you have. the optics were not designed for hid. you may get a tad brighter light at the expense of more glare (other drivers will kill you) and spotty beam on the ground. try an upgraded halogen first like the philips XP bulb. they make em in 9006 which is your lo beam size and you can get em from aidauto.com its a big brightness improvement over oem bulbs and whiter too. but if you go with hid stick to 4300k color and get an upgrade wire harness, stock one is too weak. but aftermarket bulbs suck and usually run too hot and mess up the headlamp reflector over time. they also dont last very long and have poor construction. its no match for an oem xenon bulb from philips or osram, but those are obviously only available in d2s d2r standard xenon projector sizes.

now if you must have hid, then do it the right way and put a pair of real xenon projectors in your current lights. then you will have a near factory xenon setup. check hidillusionz.com for details and pics. and look over on 8thcivic.com for more info.
Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

Thx!
Old 06-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

aside from that, you also have to watch for bad quality kits that can emit too much interference and cause static on radio stations and also ruin the car's ecu. but if youre set on getting a kit, try and find a good shielded ballast and some rebased philips bulbs. they are not as good as the real thing, but at least the glass bulb capsule is the same (they take the philips glass bulb piece and transplant it onto a halogen base like 9006 so it fits a halogen reflector). the 2006+ has the best beam when using hid in halogen housing compared to previous years. there is still more glare, but overall its not too bad and you get lil bit more light on the ground. here are some pics of 4300k hid in 06+ civic reflector.