8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 EX Starts but will not run

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JeremyD is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 EX Starts but will not run

Last Thursday my friends 2006 Civic EX wouldnt start. I was able to take a look at it for the first time today. The car will turn over just fine, will even start, but after a second or two it dies. The chime sound is strong as are all the dash lights. No check engine light at all. When I went to start it I can rev the motor a couple of times real quick before it dies. When it dies the fan will stay on. Checked the fuses, anything that said ign everything looked good. One thing I did notice, very soon after the car is turned off I can hear a light click sound coming from somewhere near the firewall on the drivers side. I'm told that when they tried to jump start the car last week that they were getting the same results, It would turn over and start but would not run or idle. Anyone with any ideas? Could it be a relay somewhere? If so which? where? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

One_Fit_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 EX Starts but will not run

it just might be a bad ECU the click is normal sound but you might want to take the ECU to honda and run a diagnostic on it (or tow it in) but anyway good luck if the ECU has been altered than any warranty on it is good as gone but as for the click on the driver side there is nothing over there that would stop the car from running
Old 05-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a bad relay for sure, most likely the fuel pump is shutting off right after the car starts. otherwise revving it should keep the motor from dying.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

Scarecrow is an unknown quantity at this point

dissconnect the battery and let the ECM (ECU) reset itself, new jeeps do this a LOT.

I was told my ECM (module?) was bad, but it only did it one time, never happened again.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

JeremyD is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried resetting the ECM. It didnt fix it. Havent had a chance to figure out where the fuel relay is yet, but I am guessing that would be the cheapest place to start if I were to just start replacing parts one by one. Where could I find the fuel relay? Anyone have a pic?
Old 05-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check owners manual. i dont have any info on the 06+ civics. its possible your fuse box is labeled and its in there. usually relays are either in the fuse box under the hood, or sometimes under the dash by the brake pedal and sometimes behind the glove box.
Old 05-29-2011
Registered!!

toddhanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, did you figure out what the problem was? my 2006 civic is doing the same thing today. It will start but wont hold an idle. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 05-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It sounds like your crank shaft position sensor might need to be replaced, have you plugged the ecu into a code reader?