8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Maintenance Interval

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken Simmons is an unknown quantity at this point
Maintenance Interval

I just purchased a 2009 LX. I was reading thru the owner's manual and it seems that the maintenance (oil change, air filter change, etc) is determined by a light on the dash. Is the duration between oil changes (and other maintenance) based on car mileage or are there other things factored into all this? Also, the list seems kind of short; no fuel filter change out, no timing belt. Do I need to adjust to all this or is there another source of more conventional maintenance based on mileage??
Old 04-08-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maintenance Interval

with regular oil i recommend every 5k miles or 5 months for oil changes. ignore the dash light. timing belt will be fine upto 100k miles thats true, same with fuel filter. its not like the older hondas.
Old 04-08-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

dont the newer honda civics have a timing chain for i-vtec? the R engine i'm questioning b/c i know the K have them.
Old 04-08-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah newer ones have the chain. so maybe its more like 150k.
Old 04-19-2009
Registered!!

bruce-r is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ken Simmons
I just purchased a 2009 LX. I was reading thru the owner's manual and it seems that the maintenance (oil change, air filter change, etc) is determined by a light on the dash. Is the duration between oil changes (and other maintenance) based on car mileage or are there other things factored into all this?
In addition to the "light on the dash" your odometer will also tell you how much life is left in your current oil. My 2009 civic owner's manual states:
Based on the engine operating conditions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining engine oil life and displays it as a percentage
I just did my first oil change on my Civic. I had just over 7K and still had 15% oil life left. Normally I wait until 10% on my wife's Fit, but I had the time this weekend to take care of it, so I did.
Old 04-24-2009
Registered!!

Pimento is an unknown quantity at this point

Its the maintenance minder system, it measures oil viscosity to determine when it needs to be changed, so there is 100% no harm in waiting for the dash light, youll never run into an issue getting your dealer service according to the dash lights. We had a civic get 13,000 km before an oil change (im Canadian heh).

But yea the codes represent different services, it tells you when to do air filters, oil changes and everything.