8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

need some serious help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twentyinches is an unknown quantity at this point
need some serious help

Hello all,

I'm new on here and need some help, I have used the search but nothing quite what i'm looking for. I just installed a Fujita short ram intake (SR-1926) in my gf's 08 civic EX auto. the thing has like 2100 miles on it.
All was fine and dandy for a day, until today the car shut off on her 3 times. I went for a ride with her and when we're driving around 35ish whatever, well when she lets off the gas you know how the car will be held back by the tranny and slowly downshift as you slow.. well once we're going slow sometimes when it downshifts the idle pretty much goes to 0 and it sputters.

Sometimes it wont completely die but other times it usually will. what in the heck is this? I didn't think a SR would cause this... I checked all hoses and clamps are tight.
any ideas?

thanks a ton!
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need some serious help

is the MAF sensor installed properly with no air leaks?
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
is the MAF sensor installed properly with no air leaks?
Hey Gearbox, first off thanks for the reply!

About the MAF, yeah it only goes in one way into the intake and I just screwed it in tight. So i'm assuming it is, but would the smallest of smallest leak there cause a problem like this? I'll dbl check it tonight, seal it up with something...maybe make a homemade gasket.

it's just weird, she just drove to work and no issues.. but I bet once she comes home for lunch it will do something like it has.

and I encouraged her to get the damn thing lol.. i feel like a tool now
Old 02-10-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well its interesting, normally intakes dont cause any problems and on the previous civics, they did not use a maf. you have everything else hooked up right? like the air temp sensor, and breather tube? just check again for leaks and go from there. its also possible that the intake made such a difference that you may need to reset the main computer and relearn the idle speed. eventually it will happen on its own after driving a tank of gas, but this may help. you drive the car til its warmed up, then shut off and either disconnect the battery or pull out the FI ECU fuse for 10 secs. put it back, then start the car and let it idle for 10 minutes without pressing gas or using any lights/accessories. may also want to ask or search around 8thcivic.com maybe theyve seen this happen before.
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

yeah I thought it was strange too, none of the 4 cars i've had have had any issues with intakes. but yeah all is hooked up correctly, but air temp sensor? where is that.. there is only one plug that I took off the stock intake and that's for the MAF (which I still need throw a gasket on).
I'll do that and reset the ecu, good call maybe that will work.
thanks again and i'll check that site too if these tips don't work.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

honda55555 is an unknown quantity at this point

the same thing happened to my 08 civic ex i put in a fujita sri and the engine stalls when i try to accelerate lightly from sitting at a light. another thing was the rpms would drop slightly and cause the engine to sputter. wat gas are u using regular or premium cause it helped a little when i went to regular with the engine sputter but it still stalls i have not clue wat to do
Old 02-23-2009
Premium Member

just make sure the maf gaskets are on and everything is tight. then reset the computer and do the idle learn.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

yea i did reset the ecu twice already. same thing the maf is on but there was no gasket for it. i let it idle for 30 mins
Old 02-26-2009
Registered!!

yeah isn't it messed up!? I took the thing off, and put it back on making sure everything was tight, including the MAF, it's sealed up. It just died today on our way to the store..
The gas put in it is super, which is 89 octane i think here, with the 10% ethanol but that shouldn't make a difference. The car ran perfect with it before the intake.

It's always when you let off the gas to come to a stop, and as it does it's final downshift before you come to a stop is when it does it. Like when the rpm's dip a little below the idle before it jumps back up to normal idle, well...except it dips too low and stalls out. but not all the time..

I even pulled the battery while i reinstalled it, and then let it idle for 10-15 mins... didn't work unfort.
Old 03-02-2009
Registered!!

yea same **** happens to me im goin to wait til summer maybe the warmer weather might help but i doubt it cause i live in chicago. if not il wait till i put more miles on it cause im at 9000 now. i had a aem sri im my previous car 96 accord and it ran fine its probably something with fujita.
Old 03-14-2009
Registered!!

LaughingMILLS is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my civic, I put the air filter on the intake tube to far, cutting off the air. PROBLEM FIXED
Old 03-16-2009
Registered!!

theres a ridge in the air filter that doent allow u to push the tube in any farther. was urs a fujita?
Old 03-16-2009
Registered!!

ci0vi8c is an unknown quantity at this point

my brother just put a cold air intake on my sister n laws SI and it did the same thing he figured it culd only b the MAF or the O2 censor...b/c it wuld idle then cut off so he finally just took it off an put everything bak stock and it had no problems! thing is now the dealerships are getting these cars to where if anything goes wrong or u need help ull come to them.....just a big money scheme if u ask me!!