8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2008+ hondas have TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
2008+ hondas have TPMS

tire pressure monitoring system, basically an extra light on the dash that comes on to tell you the tire pressure is low in one of more tires.
Old 12-08-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrmeku is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2008+ hondas have TPMS

Yeah, I love this feature. If I didnt have it, many nails in my tires might have gone unnoticed
Old 12-09-2008
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
tire pressure monitoring system, basically an extra light on the dash that comes on to tell you the tire pressure is low in one of more tires.
fedral law says it's required on all cars model year 2008 and up. so honda has to put it on. like the had to go OBD2 and had problems with doing so.
Old 12-09-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. so will it still be accurate if someone were to change to a different size tire/ aftermarket (small and big) rims?
Old 12-09-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

would prolly need to recalibrate it? lol i can see why its being required tho. because most people are stupid and never check their tire pressure. if they see an idiot light come on, at least then they will drive to a jiffy lube and ask what the light means. and maybe jiffy lube might actually fill air in the tires.
Old 12-09-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Hmmm I wonder how this system really works... Wonder if its as simple as that wireless valve cap thing that used to be advertised all the time on the right hand ad stack on this site.
Old 12-09-2008
Premium Member

more or less, its a pressure device connected to a gauge light icon that comes on when pressure drops below a certain set point.
Old 12-09-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

there are sensors inside the wheel, attatched either to the valve stem, or on a band around the wheel. this sends a wireless signal to the ecu telling it it has good pressure or not. also the light is triggered if the pressure(generally) drops 3psi below any of the other tires, or if the pressure drops 3 psi below the set standard for that particular wheel
Old 12-09-2008
Premium Member

are they set at stock pressure like 30psi then?
Old 12-10-2008
Registered!!

99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough

You can put aftermarket TPMS in aftermarket wheels. They make them for motorcycles now too. When I put the 22's on my Tahoe they rebuilt my old ones and when they finally went out, I bought aftermarket ones for less than half of what oem's cost. They all only last for 4 or so years depending on your driving. The trick is to get some that have a replacable battery. OEM tpms'es can't replace battery. I'm pretty sure they built them like that so you can take it to the shop and get fugged wit oem prices. OEM for my Tahoe was $200. Aftermarket was $75. And my aftrmrkt tpms'es can replace battery for $5-$10 per battery.
Old 12-11-2008
Registered!!

cb1111 is an unknown quantity at this point
TPMS has been mandated since mid 2007....

...the sensors must alert when the actual pressure falls 25% below the required psi.

The sensors themselves are gum pack sized units with a valve stem attached that mount from inside the wheel. The sensors need to be calibrated to the car and the local dealer quoted $100 for the adaptation.

The sensors themselves sell for about $90 each (you obviously need 4) and will fit most aftermarket wheels.
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Either way you should check your tire pressure every month, it'll only tell you when you need air when it's to late
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

Hondauser1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone had a problem withe their TPMS? I have been told by the dealership that when the tire dealer put new tires on my Civic that they damaged the TPMS and that each one to have fixed is $172.00. Not only that, they charged me $47.00 to seal the new tire that was damaged by the TPMS. I want to know if this is a PROBLEM that Honda is having but are not being forthcoming about and should be a recall.

Any comments, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hondauser1
Has anyone had a problem withe their TPMS? I have been told by the dealership that when the tire dealer put new tires on my Civic that they damaged the TPMS and that each one to have fixed is $172.00. Not only that, they charged me $47.00 to seal the new tire that was damaged by the TPMS. I want to know if this is a PROBLEM that Honda is having but are not being forthcoming about and should be a recall.

Any comments, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.
No recall.
You are just a victim of the untrained tire kickers.
That isn't recall-worthy.

Sounds like your tire installer owes you a working set of tire pressure sensors.
They are somewhat easy to damage if you don't know what you are doing, and some installers will never learn if they aren't forced to fix their own mistakes.

No comment on your price quotes, but a dealer level scanner is about the only thing I know of that can program new sensors. You are either stuck paying the price, or get your installer to step up and cover their mistakes.

HTH