8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

OEM XM Radio Installation-Ridiculous!!

Old 11-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krazymatt is an unknown quantity at this point
OEM XM Radio Installation-Ridiculous!!

I have been wanting to install Sat. Radio on my Civic for a while. I found a decent price on the OEM kit from an online Honda Dealer I found on this forum but the online instruction .pdf from Honda seems downright ridiculous for a guy to do himself, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I don't know what's worse: Pretty much having to disassemble the entire dash/instrument cluster area, or having to strike the A-Pillar Cover where the air bag resides with a rubber mallet???!!! I didn't read any further, but I'm sure you have to drill or saw somewhere on the body to install the XM antenna. I called the local dealer and they will charge $315 to install the XM. So with the decent deal from the online Honda dealer and the labor to install I'm still looking at close to $600 for XM radio!!! WTF!!!

What is it with Honda? They don't ever offer any accessories on their cars such as XM radio or fog lights already installed like many other manufacturers do, but then they want to charge human body parts to purchase accessories and get them installed. I would venture to assume that they don't sell very many Honda Accessories!??

Last edited by krazymatt; 11-07-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OEM XM Radio Installation-Ridiculous!!

haha yeah thats a problem. fog light install is almost as bad. xm is meh anyway. prolly better you didnt waste the $$. poor quality and you will get tired of it fast and go back to cds.
Old 11-07-2008
Registered!!

krazymatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I agree with you man; definitely not worth the money and effort. I'll stick to my IPOD and CD's. It's still annoying though. In my opinion, an EX model of any Honda is supposed to be fully loaded, and should not be skimping on Sat. Radio, and fog lights. Well, at least it has a micro-rear wing. It used to be that EX Hondas didn't even include the rear wing. The least Honda could do is not include the "xm ready" text on the actual radio. Having to spend nearly $1000 for XM radio is pretty damn far from "XM Ready!!!"
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

redline2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krazymatt
I didn't read any further, but I'm sure you have to drill or saw somewhere on the body to install the XM antenna. I called the local dealer and they will charge $315 to install the XM. So with the decent deal from the online Honda dealer and the labor to install I'm still looking at close to $600 for XM radio!!! WTF!!!

\:

You money would be better spent on an aftermarket radio with xm. You will end up with more features than stock and save money