Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Do all Civics eat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mskinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Do all Civics eat tires?

Well I took my car to Honda and they replaced my rear upper control arms under warranty and threw in a free alignment. Thank you Honda.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

sikassdrummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Do all Civics eat tires?

Originally Posted by mskinner
I only have 20,000 miles on my car and so I decided to rotate the tires. I know I should have done it a little sooner, but anyways. I noticed that the front tires were quite a bit more worn than the rears, which I expected being a front wheel drive car, but the problem I ran into was when I got to looking at the back tires. They are smooth on the outside half of the tread, but the other half of the tread on the back tires is bumpy. I went a head and rotated them thinking that maybe they will wear back correctly, but now my car has front end vibration, especially when braking, and is loud to boot just driving down the highway.

Is this a common problem with civics? My dad's had tire problems also, but thought maybe it was a fluke. What have you all ran into?

My car is a 2007 civic coupe Lx. (hooray for cheaper gas... I paid $2.05 today)
The best advise I can give is replace your upper control arms with the skunk2 that are fully adjustable .The factory spec on the rear negitive camber is -1.5degreese you can set it to about half the -.8
I did this even with my car being lowered
that threw my rear negitive to -2.2 and i went to .8 and i get great mileage out of my tires now
hope that helps
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

CivicLx06 is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited my local Honda Dealership today for the ABS O-Ring recall, but had them take a look at my rear alignment after reading this thread just to be safe. My rear upper-control arms did not have a "C" stamped on them, but they told me that the only way they could check the alignment was by putting the car on the machine because my tires are so new. The machine was gonna cost me $90.00, so I opted to hold off and keep an eye on my tires. Here is my question though, how many miles in on the new tires will it take to start showing the irregular wear if my rear alignment is messed up?
Old 03-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well most tires dont make it past 20k miles if you have the problem. i suspect you will start seeing major wear at least around 10k miles.
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

CivicLx06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them.
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

gearhead337 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys im new to this site but not to mechanics. I have a 2007 civic SI sedan ive had problems with third gear since i bought it.My deal keeps giving me the run around about the issue saying that they dont know if its covered in the warranty....My car has a sixty thousand mile power train warranty and it covers everything but the brake pads regardless of this, there is definitly a defective part inside the transmission. after much reasearch i found out that there is indeed a defective 3rd gear syncro in all civics from 06-07 as well as in the 07 accords. My dealers *** of service manager still denies all of this even after i brought him the TSB# 08-020.Now lets move on the next problem with the new civic is the issue with the un even tire wear. honda has issued a TSB # 08-001 stating that all 2006-2007 civic 2dr and 4dr including hybrid but the SI is not included..the problem is with the rear upper control arms being to short,the result of this is that there is extremely to much negative camber on the rear of the car which causes the inside of the tires to wear more rapidly.The part number for the rear upper arms are......RIGHT side #52390SNAA00 and the LEFT side #52400SNAA00. Would u like to guess what the part numbers are on SI ? THE EXACT SAME!!!!! Im having the same issue with the tires as everyone with the other models ive had to replace on set of tires already at 22,375 Miles "ill post pics shortly cause u gotta see this ****" Now lets go to problem number 3, the wheel bearing noise coming from the rear. I put my car up on the lift because its sounds like a damm train going down the road and is starting to get extremely unstable especially at highway speeds... whats happening is that the overall alignment is off.Those of you who know about alignment know about something called the overall thrust thrust angle of the car..? If this is off then your over all suspension geometery is off and basicly its like the tires are trying to roll in different directions from eachother....ive tried to get my alignment in spec from day one and its impossible to get everything to stock specs because of the defective parts on the car! If any of you guys especially SI owners are having these problems feel free to email me at
stephendupre337@yahoo.com im trying to get enough people to get a class action suit against honda if they continue to not address this issue,and please those of you that have installed lowering springs on you car disregaurd this cause lowering springs do effect your camber and they will add negative camber the lower u go the worse it gets..dont get me wrong i have done my fair share of tuning and i am not hatin im all for it ive also been racing my whole life everything from 125cc shifter carts to my current race bmw M3 "s54 motor" but i have not modified my SI in any way and im just looking for guys with stock cars to come forward so we can unite and get the B/S with our cars resolved...well thats it for now talk to yall later..

Last edited by gearhead337; 03-28-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good info, yeah honda is headed in the wrong direction. ever since 2001 models came out, quality just keeps getting worse.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

xxhaimbondxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda Civics have a control arm recall. Mine were replaced and the car was aligned. I called Honda America to complain about uneven tire wear that was due to this issue and got all 4 tires replaced for free at 16K. Strongly recommend calling Honda.
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

did the new control arms fix the problem?
Old 09-15-2009
Premium Member

wow, just wow. and i thought the decision to use plastic parts in the 01-05 civic auto trans was bad. on a side note, i had a tie rod wiggle loose and the shop said i was very close to having it fall off and losing all steering control. that wouldve been really bad considering i was driving hundreds of miles on the freeway at the time. i only thought to have it looked at when i was hearing loud clunking during every turn.