8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Manual or Automatic Trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KC2LLW is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual or Automatic Trans

Hello,
I am about to buy a 2008 Civic LX my question is should I go with the manual or Auto I drive about 80% highway to work and it is about a 36 mile commute round trip mornings are traffic free but afternoon is about 10 miles worth of traffic also wondering if ethier is better on fuel. I am parking my F-350 dually diesel due to $4.50 a gallon and 15MPG!
Thanks
Steve
Old 05-16-2008
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Manual or Automatic Trans

I have a manual 2008 4 door EXL Civic and love it, very smooth and hassle free shifting, wouldn't have it any other way although it's a deal killer at trade in time most dealers seem to like auto. Very little difference in milage.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

yzfmik is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming from manual Trans Am's (2) and a Mustang, I went with the Auto Civic. I drove a manual and I thought the clutch was way too light, it wasn't enjoyable to me at all. I like being lazy in the Civi I guess, lol.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Don't know if you still are trying to make the decision but I wouldn't have anything but the MT. Even in traffic situations clutch and transmission on Honda's is so effortless it doesn't bother me at all. Also there is a pretty significant mileage difference, manual transmissions are more fuel efficient.
Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

LTFA182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it's just me, but I just love driving manuals. More fun, more performance when you need it, and it does save you gas....depending on how you drive. But, if you are going to be stuck in traffic everyday clutching and shifting every 2 seconds might be a little annoying. The LX should be great on gas either way. I myself drive an 07 SI.
Old 05-29-2008
Registered!!

Jutty is on a distinguished road

and MT is cheaper! that was a big plus for me...
Old 06-13-2008
Registered!!

Scorvus is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it true a manual tranny weighs less than auto tranny?
Old 06-13-2008
Registered!!

johnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scorvus
Is it true a manual tranny weighs less than auto tranny?
yes, that is true
Old 06-13-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

and auto tranny breaks easy lol
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

Snake Bit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheelspinLX
Also there is a pretty significant mileage difference, manual transmissions are more fuel efficient.

This isn't true. The auto gets slightly better mileage than the manual (rated 36 MPG highway versus 35 for the manual trans). Yes, manuals are more efficient. However, there is a significant gearing difference between the two. The manual turns about 1000 RPM higher than the auto on the highway. The better efficiency just doesn't quite overcome the significantly higher RPMs.

I, like a lot of people here, initially wanted a manual. However, I test drove both and found that running approximately 3500 RPM on the highway would have driven me nuts. I also drive 80% plus highway miles; and average 35,000 miles a year, which means relaxed cruising is EXTREMELY important to me. With the automatic I cruise at a much more relaxed 2400 to 2500 RPM - and have consistently averaged 38 to 42 MPG!

You definately need to test drive both, on the interstate, to see how well you'd be able to tolerate the big RPMs the manual runs at. And its also much easier to resell an auto......
Old 06-18-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yup same here, 38-42 mpg in my auto. in the old days it was true that auto got less mpg, but thats because the engine was more inefficient and the trans would end up rubbing power. at 65mph, the rpm is only 2800.
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Originally Posted by Snake Bit
This isn't true. The auto gets slightly better mileage than the manual (rated 36 MPG highway versus 35 for the manual trans). Yes, manuals are more efficient. However, there is a significant gearing difference between the two. The manual turns about 1000 RPM higher than the auto on the highway. The better efficiency just doesn't quite overcome the significantly higher RPMs.

I, like a lot of people here, initially wanted a manual. However, I test drove both and found that running approximately 3500 RPM on the highway would have driven me nuts. I also drive 80% plus highway miles; and average 35,000 miles a year, which means relaxed cruising is EXTREMELY important to me. With the automatic I cruise at a much more relaxed 2400 to 2500 RPM - and have consistently averaged 38 to 42 MPG!

You definately need to test drive both, on the interstate, to see how well you'd be able to tolerate the big RPMs the manual runs at. And its also much easier to resell an auto......
The fact is there is more drive line losses in an automatic transmission because there are more moving parts and more energy lost in the torque converter than in the single clutched manual transmission.

I also get much better mileage than what the EPA says I should get. 100% city driving I average 36-38mpg. Highway is a different story if I drive 60-65mph your talking 40-42mpg easy, but if I drive at 70-75mph your talking more like 39-41mpg. The best mileage I ever got was driving on 55mph twisty highways without wind and that was 45 mpg.

The only time I've ever dropped below 35 mpg is when my car was brand new and it wasn't broken-in (I also followed break-in procedure meticulously and drove my car off the lot with 8 miles on it), or the couple times I beat the hell out of it.

It's a fact that the automatic is easier to resell but the cost to me is probably offset by the extra costs automatic owners will pay in maintenance and repair on their slush box. Bottom line is if it bothers you to change your own gears for every shift of every drive then just get an automatic. If your an enthusiast who likes the control of changing your own gears then get a manual.

Last edited by wheelspinLX; 06-23-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Cause I'm full of it.
Old 06-19-2008
Registered!!

Snake Bit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheelspinLX
I think your 3500rpm on the freeway is exaggerated unless you drive like 90.

I test drove both, back to back. My typical cruise speed is 75-78 MPH. At those speeds, my auto runs at not quite 2500RPM. The 5-Speed I drive right before was turning almost 3500RPM.

I agree with everything else in your post. In fact, I WANTED a manual; for all the same reasons you mention. However, the high revs just don't work in my situation. I'm constantly making 4-8 hour interstate trips so the high revs just don't work for me.

And our gas mileage is remarkably similar; as one would expect given the very close mileage estimates (36 versus 35 highway). I too have a best of nearly 45MPG (44.something) on a highway trip with lower speed limits - I averaged about 60MPH that tank.
Old 06-23-2008
Registered!!

Yeah I was actually wrong lol so I will edit my post to be less full of ****.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

franklingc is an unknown quantity at this point

100% pro Manual.
In fact, I just got mine yesterday.

They are a lot more fun to drive, cheaper to buy, easier to fix, lighter,....

Feels like real driving
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 10 hour drive to college with the manual tranny. In my 07 coupe. I was turning close to 3500 at about 80 or 85. I think yall are a little off on that note. I drove about 85-90 the whole way and got about 34 mpg. Highest Ive ever gotten was 36 that was doing sixtyfive on about a hour and a half trip. How do you get such good milage, Ive never had that good. I am getting 20 somthing driving it to class and to eat never getting over probly 25 but thats not normal driving.

I have about 8,000 miles on the car give or take a few
Old 07-02-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I like my auto on my 05, and the 8th gens have one more gear.

But I must say this, HONDA ! I HATE GRADE LOGIC !
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

SHALAKO is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer auto but I do a lot of city and traffic driving and dont feel like shifting, also I like auto in case someone else has to drive my car i dont have to worry about them not being able to drive stick
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

MarkR is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Manual or Automatic Trans

I originally ordered a manual coupe but, low and behold the car came as an automatic. At first I was disappointed and I took a test drive and it was a lot more enjoyable than I thought. The dealer didn't charge me the cost of the auto, plus gave it to me for cost if I still wanted it. Done deal!
I travel on the freeways about 500mi. a week and my best mileage is 36mpg. This is averaging 80mph. I traded in an 02 LX coupe manual and I still get as good mpg in my 08 and it alot more powerful. Good Luck
Old 09-19-2008
Registered!!

spinks is an unknown quantity at this point

Manual all the way if you are good at driving them. This clutch is like none you have ever driven but you will get used to it. If you arent in a hilly area your good with a clutch because this car has no torque. Starting on a hill from a stop you have to burn the clutch a little bit if you don't want to put a serious strain on your motor, but on the other hand your burning the clutch =\. I'd get a manual just b/c im that kinda person but if your lazy and your not gonna be in any kinuv races just go with an automatic.
Old 09-19-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I would hope he has bought a car since mid May.
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

xplicit503 is an unknown quantity at this point

Manual is fun, but the roads here where I am going to school at suck, and a bunch of hills. Not to mention a ton of cars on campus. Kinda wished I got a auto now... T_T
Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point

When I test drove the 2006 LX, new, I found that the hills in Omaha, NE were a deal killer on the automatic. While the engine has good horsepower, the torque is deplorable. If you're driving steep hills, you really should get the manual. It works so much better for me than the identical vehicle in auto.