8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2007 Civic SI 3rd gear news

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thumper039 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2007 Civic SI 3rd gear news

I had this issue also... same complaints as everyone. I just didn't know about it until stumbling onto this forum.

I drove the car since in was new, now has 22K. I am an adult female and don't "abuse" the car.

It just started popping out of third and more of everyone else's complaints. I also lost the front right speaker which suddenly started cutting in and out.

I took it to the dealer. They already had fixed several other cars and knew exactly what I was complaining about. One of the service managers said that early on it was difficult because they couldn't always reproduce but he himself had taken one car out and it did it and that was all the convincing he needed.

I got my car back today and I can tell you that it is a world of difference. The shifter feels tight. I wish it had been this way from the start!!!

Now my concerns are related to the car not being "factory tight" anymore and hope that I don't have other issues related to the fix. As a loyal honda owner (this is my second civic, my parents had 3 of them), I wouldn't hesitate to get another - but might get an element next time.
Old 10-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did they tell you what was fixed?
Old 10-28-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

I no longer work for Honda but this was a very big on going issue when I was there. I never have got one to do it on test drives but we did repair 2 separate vehicles just due to whom they complained to. Honda did release a "third gear set" which pretty much replaced everything for 3rd gear, even nuts and bolts. When we tore the transmissions down we could never find any kind of damage or difference from the old to new parts. The cars ran the same to me after the rebuild so I don't know if they are redesigned parts or the same being replaced. The part numbers were exactly what came in it stock. So either the same part was put back in or honda redesigned the part and gave it the same number. Hope that helps ya
Old 11-09-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats up fellas. i am a honda tech and i personally have done 3 of these cars already. Honda knows about the problem and doesnt give you a hard time if you have the condition. its a decent amount of work to replace the 3rd gear set but after its done the problem is fixed and your good old reliable honda is back to normal. If any of you guys have any other questions about these new civics just hit me up id be more then happy to try to help you out. and FoSho the part is redesigned and does function better and properly.
Old 11-09-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good to hear
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

redline2k is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my 06 si in today with a complaint about third gear and an oil leak. They didn't even give me a problem. I will have a rebuilt trans tomorrow afternoon. My car is a certified preowned with 43k on it.
Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

Mj40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys!
I got my SI about 5 months ago, and have about 4,200 miles on it.
I started feeling the 3rd gear notchiness and slip out shortly after I got my 2008.
I took it into my dealer with the tsb. They drove the car a few times over the course of 2-3 days, and couldn't duplicate the problem. I now am getting a little worried and upset. I understand they need to duplicate it, but in the same sense I paid $22,000 for a car I no longer feel comfortable and reliable with. They documented the problem, and even had a rep document in case I need goodwill assistance after the warranty expires.
Love the car, but I paid for the ease-of-mind. It's just not what I'm getting.

Any Suggestions?
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mj40
Hey guys!
I got my SI about 5 months ago, and have about 4,200 miles on it.
I started feeling the 3rd gear notchiness and slip out shortly after I got my 2008.
I took it into my dealer with the tsb. They drove the car a few times over the course of 2-3 days, and couldn't duplicate the problem. I now am getting a little worried and upset. I understand they need to duplicate it, but in the same sense I paid $22,000 for a car I no longer feel comfortable and reliable with. They documented the problem, and even had a rep document in case I need goodwill assistance after the warranty expires.
Love the car, but I paid for the ease-of-mind. It's just not what I'm getting.

Any Suggestions?
Try a different dealer? It seems that some dealers are still being hard-asses about the tsb.
Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

Try a different dealer? It seems that some dealers are still being hard-asses about the tsb.
Hmm. A dealership that I didn't buy it from will help? Ok, I'll give it a try. To be honest, I didn't know that was an option.
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2008
Registered!!

Eshqipo is an unknown quantity at this point

I went in to get this problem corrected twice and after the 2nd time all they did was replace the trans. fluid. They were never able to duplicate or witness the issue first hand, therefore unwilling to repair it.

My question is this, i now have an 07 si with 60K+ on it and the issue is back and more apparent.
Is this something that Honda will repair for me without me shelling out the $$$ for it since I went there twice to address? Or am I footing the bill for this one?
Old 12-20-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mj40
Hmm. A dealership that I didn't buy it from will help? Ok, I'll give it a try. To be honest, I didn't know that was an option.
Thanks!
Yeah, I don't think that will be an issue. I got my last oil change at a different dealer than where I bought it and was talking to the service advisor about it and they said I'd have to just set up an appointment and they would have to keep the car and drive it.
Old 12-23-2008
Registered!!

jmoux088 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the vehicle with 10,000 miles on it. Its an 2007 civic si. Third gear would grind pop out and etc. I took it to the dealership in uniontown pa and they said not a problem no signs of abuse well fix it. I get it fixed now 1st 2nd 4th and 5th act up and do not shift smoothly. I personally love my Si and have 7000 more miles on it sincei got it 3 months ago but i dont feel like its reliable since i myself cant even duplicate the problem. Its becoming a bigger issue daily and I wanna get rid of it for a SUV now that gas went back down. I cant even take it back to the dealership since the one in uniontown pa where i got it fixed went out of business. So what do I do?! Closes one to my house the head mechanic is my ex father in law so he sure as hell aint touching my $20,000 car honda has called me and been told that I am unsatisfied but with working 140 hours every two weeks its impossible to find time to take to a dealership and seeing as I drive 1 hour to work each day I need a vehicle.
Old 12-23-2008
Premium Member

i would just sell it and save yourself future problems.
Old 12-29-2008
Registered!!

NightHawk6Speed is an unknown quantity at this point

My 07 Si also had a problem with this 3rd gear crap.. its so frustrating when u go to take off and u get to that 3rd gear and your hoping it goes in and then it doesnt!!! u have to pull it out and try again and i have a loud exhaust so it not only affected my driving, but also my exhaust let people know it didnt shift lol... making me seem like i cant drive.... pretty frustrating... i had been dealing with this 3rd gear crap for months and it did it again and i hit the roof and finally took it it to honda dealer... they got it to act up for them as well and they fixed everything under warranty and it works like a dream !!!!!! so happy... if yours pops out of 3rd or anything take it in i was so relieved !!!!
Old 12-31-2008
Registered!!

KARSI is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at buying a 2009 SI. Anyone know if I can expect the same issue on the 2009?
Old 12-31-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by KARSI
Looking at buying a 2009 SI. Anyone know if I can expect the same issue on the 2009?
You should be ok I believe. I think that during 2008 the problem was resolved.
Old 01-01-2009
Registered!!

NightHawk6Speed is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure about how 09 si will be.. they do look different imo i think 06-07 look better.. so ya ask about if they know anything about that 3rd gear from dealer or try that 3rd gear alot at diff engine speeds .
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Angry Re: 2007 Civic SI 3rd gear news

Considering my '08 Si is exhibiting a mild case of the problem, and I only have 4,000 miles on it, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the '09 exhibits the problem as well.
Old 01-07-2009
Registered!!

p35600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: 2007 Civic SI 3rd gear news

Hey FoSho,

I had to deal with this 3rd gear issue on a 2007 Civic Si I bought used with 16k on it. I new right away something was wrong and googled 3rd gear and found all this out. I took it to Honda and they had a tech drive it and I was told there is nothing wrong with it. I wasn't willing to accept this and took it back and told the head tech to take it home, run his errands, drive his kids around town or whatever it would take to experience the problem. Two days later I got a call telling me that the car is messed up and that they will replace everything needed to fix the problem free of charge. He said the first time he took it out nothing happened. When he went to take it to work the following morning it popped out of 3rd gear 3 times on his drive. So go ahead and laugh FoSho, but get rid of the, "It's a Honda and nothings wrong with it attitude" and start helping the customers that keep Honda in business. I'm happy with the car I purchased and that the dealership is going to right this problem, otherwise, I would have been stuck feeling like I was driving a lemon. So thank you Honda and if anyone else is experiencing a problem with 3rd gear be persistent. It will pay off!
Old 01-07-2009
Premium Member

so did it get fixed and now it doesnt pop anymore?
Old 01-08-2009
Registered!!

p35600 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll let you know when I pick it up. It is supposed to be done Saturday. Now after digging around about all this I'm wondering about the tires. When I bought it I was told it went through the Honda Certified inspection. They replaced two tires which I thought was odd with only 16k on it. I'm gonna keep an eye on my rear tires for uneven tire wear. I'll follow up when I know more.
Old 01-08-2009
Premium Member

yeah you prolly have the alignment problems like the other 06+ civics.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

BoB.cfg is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a 07 Si last week today and a couple days ago noticed that sometimes when going in to 3rd I feel like I hit a wall and no engage. take it out put it back in, fine. It's not "popped" out on me but you can feel it not wanting to engage.

I have owned a 92 lx 5spd, 02 ex 5spd and now this, been driving manual for 12 years. I got a super great deal on it with only 12k miles but I'm fearing this thread. Good thing I decided to purchase the super extended GM warranty at the dealership I bought it. keep me safe until 100k and my last 02 civics no claim warranty from nissan paid for it in full so that keeps me sleeping at night.

I really like the car though, fun car, my younger brother is jealous with his 89 crx si.

Watching this thread like a hawk...
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

I brought my car in for the 2nd time and they replaced the 3rd gear set and synchronizer. The GM originally had told me they were going to take time to test it again, but when I showed up, they said they parts are on the way and it'll be done in 2 days.

I made sure and emailed the GM my many concerns politely, as I was scared to even stick any money into it, considering the issue was with such a major component.
Good news, ahhhh...
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

Bob:

My advice to you is print out this tsb and bring it in to your dealer. If they can't duplicate it or won't do anything now, at least make them document it in your file that you've had a problem.

Honda TSB: http://automotivetech.org/at/6spdtsb.pdf

Blog:http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/01/h...e-fix-is-free/
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

gearhead337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FoSho
wow...haha all I can do is laugh. I work at Honda as a service advisor & tech on the side. I've had these complaints before. I have test drove & inspected several brand new civics. I have found no issues what so ever. I've test drove over 100 miles on 1 paticular civic. Nothing. I couldn't get 3rd gear to pop out! I have even drove with several customers.....nothing happens as soon as I'm in the car!

I'd really like to see some more cars but right now I can't find anything. Honda should go get that guys car on the new report, strip the tranny appart, & when none of the parts come back as a manuf. defect I'm gonna laugh. It would be even more funny if the gears wear worn from improper driving. This is usually the case with all cases I've seen.

Just my 2 cents. Honda knows what they're doin!

They wanna see a messed up tranny, they should came for a ride in the turbo They would heard all kinda noises & shudders. Stop complaining I wish my 02 civic shifted as nice as a new one!

Hey man im here to knock u off that lil smart *** trip your on! U sound like the usual smart *** lil punks ive been dealing with about the issues with my car and guess what ******* there is a problem with the third gear set syncos in the 2007 si and just cause u havnet seen one yet doesnt mean that there isnt a issue! honda use to know what they were doing but now im not so sure..the whole chassis geometery on the new civics are ****ed up! They have the same defective upper control arms on the SI as well if u dont believe me next time you at your job go cross refrence the part numbers! It lil ****** like you that stero type SI owners as being lil tunes that dont know **** well guess what ******* i know my **** ive done my research and you know what Honda put together thousands of civics everything from th DX to SI with defective parts and there engineering has gone to crarp its only a matter of time before the whole thing blows up in their face and there reputation is ruined,and u know what ? All of us are gonna be laughing at u because the time honda has to cough up the millions of dollars its gonna take to bring all the defective cars in and replace the parts there gonna have to back on expenses starting with laying off lil ****** like YOU! THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT !!!!
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

GuillaKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

**** man this is scaring me =O haha
Old 09-19-2009
Registered!!

Since my '08 SI has been fixed it has not popped out of 3rd gear once. Right away I noticed quite a difference.

One thing i do notice in 3rd gear(no other gears do it) is that sometimes I feel a little notchiness in the gear. I'm not sure if it's going to lead to a problem or is normal.

Anyone have an idea? I'm sure many of you are more tech savvy than myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

swinler is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '07 Si sedan currently with ~75k miles. I was experiencing the grinding and occasional 3rd gear popping out last fall. My local dealership was very cooperative and performed the fix as stated in the TSB (with just under 60k miles). The tranny ran just fine until earlier this summer (with about 70k miles). Now, after the fix, my 3rd gear has occasionally been grinding, and all gears seem to be a bit more notchy than before. I just replaced my MTF with Amsoil Synchromesh and hope it helps as it appears to help a lot of other owners. I also replaced the drain plug with a magnetic plug to catch some of the metal bits (synchro debris, perhaps?). BTW, the magnetic drain plug was ~$3.00 from Advance Auto Parts; $50.00+ for a Skunk2 mag. plug - are you kidding me?

Here's my question: Has anyone had their transmission repaired free-of-charge more than once?

One thing I have noticed is that both before and after the TSB fix, my shift from 2nd to 3rd was/is always successful if I make a conscious effort to press the clutch all the way to the floor - if the clutch pedal is off the floor even just a bit, the shift may not take or I may get some grinding.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket 06+ civic Si transmissions or components? I'm seriously considering abandoning Honda's transmissions, if I can...

The rest of the car is great (but I did purchase mine used with the Skunk2 rear camber kit already installed, so I never experienced the rear tire wear issue)

Last edited by swinler; 12-05-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: more information!
Old 12-06-2009
Premium Member

you may want to also check 8thcivic.com for aftermarket parts suggestions. i know the newer honda ones arent that great anymore.

Quick Reply: 2007 Civic SI 3rd gear news