8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Is the R18 more then a base model motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all
Re: Sedan or Coupe

yup...i read that whole article long ago dude.

but thing is, it does have forged internals, oil jets that shoot oil directly underneath the piston heads, cracked conrods for strength, and the so-called turbo-like head design. Ok...the sleeves are something they may have to figure out soforth but this R18A1 is a damn good engine despite the negativity behind it.

also...as ive mentioned im trying to get the time to take a vid of my civic in motion, ill kick the thing into 7k RPMs with the Proshift a blazing.
gotta keep in mind however that right now with this engine so new to the market alot of aftermarket isnt quite readily avail as the k20 has as of now, so with that being said my civic has simple bolts on right now such as:

Performance related mods:
InJen CAI
2.25" full exhaust w/glasspack
Vforce axleback
Megan Racing downpipe

^that about covers it for the HP gains, although id rather have it where my
fidanza lightweight flywheel and ACT clutch kit were installed but thats weeks away yet.
Old 11-03-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Those aernt forged pistons and also I find it hard to believe that Honda would put the money in to forged internals in the R18 when the K20 doesnt even have them. The d17 also has oil jets built into the rods that lubricate the engine better at low rpms. That doesnt matter for high power output as I had a LONG conversation with Crower about this because their forged rods dont have the oilers. As far as I know only the S2000 and NSX engines have forged internals stock. Dont try to bs me. Im not buying it.

you have gained maybe 5 - 8 whp with those mods. give it up.

Last edited by dopes6070; 11-03-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

k20 is old compared to the R18A1 son.
they installed that k20 in cars from a few years back now!
Old 11-03-2007
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

umm hello the k20z1 comes in the SI "son" which is current and has a lot more power then your single cam R18
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

gave ya metal bud'

and yes...the k20 has more power, im not arguing that at all,
197HP vs 140HP .....mhm!

i only stated it is an older engine...thats all, which i just looked into here and yea...your right about the Z3's. man...got confused on these damn K20's ...

my bad!
but w/e, my discussion here is supposed to be aimed at the r18a1 anyhow....

Last edited by FGCOUPE; 11-03-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2007
Premium Member

but im saying its internals aernt even forged with its higher output. Why would Honda put the $ into forged internals in a economical engine like the R18? It was meant to be cheap economical and reliable like the d series. The k20 has been changed some since it was brought out so they could have thrown in forged pistons and rods at any time but they diddnt'.
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

R Series

The Honda R series Inline Four Cylinder engine is new for the 2006 Honda Civic (Non-Si). It is fuel injected, has an aluminum-alloy cylinder block and cylinder head, is a SOHC 16 valve design (4 valves per cylinder), utilizes Honda's i-VTEC system, and produces 138(JDM) and 140(USDM) hp (103(JDM) and 104(USDM) kW ) @ 6300 rpm and 128 lbf·ft (174 N·m) @4300 rpm SAE net (torque), with the redline at 6800 rpm. The R series is undersquare with a bore and stroke of 81 x 87.3 mm (stroke ratio of 0.93); it has a compression ratio of 10.5:1, features a "drive by wire" throttle system, and is quite economical, with its CARB ULEV-2 (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) rating, and 30/40 city/highway mpg (U.S. gallons). It also uses the same computer (ECU) controlled direct ignition as the Honda K-series engines; it has no distributor. The R Series engine is new, and thus relatively little technical information has circulated so far. The OEM service manual is available at HELM INC.

2006- Honda Civic (JDM FD1, USDM FA1, USDM FG1)
Displacement: 1799 cc
Compression: 10.5:1
Bore & stroke: 81.0 x 87.3 mm
Power: 138 bhp (140 PS, 103 kW) @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 17.7 kgm (174 N·m) @ 4300 rpm

Forged.....

Old 11-03-2007
Premium Member

Ok maybe forged rods but they are still super skinny like the d17 ones. and also those pistons are still cast and the ductile iron sleeves are still thin. 400HP is a really big goal for that engine. Especially with a supercharger.
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

who ever thought a B16B engine would be a ****in bomb in itself?
that motor makes me hard! lol
Old 11-04-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all

will someone lock this thread already? holy ****.
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

why ?
nothing wrong with it man.
Old 11-05-2007
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoonEM
will someone lock this thread already? holy ****.
yeah... total waste of time...

Dopes6070 >>> fgcoupe

PWNEDDD!!!!
Old 11-05-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

fg i have been coming on lately after a long time of being off.. at first i thought you were just a dumb n00b but now seeing how your run your mouth on **** you have no idea about. listen you have a sohc 140hp my dad bought one for economy because he drives from md to nj every week. he was even telling me the other day. (mind you this is a 50 yr old man that dont give two ***** about racing) he told me... i like the gas mileage but i miss the power, i cant even merge into traffic easy because it lacks so much power.... common the r18 is painfully slow. and i doubt your SUPER SECRET SC will do ****. dopes has proof and he has done **** to his car. your all talk. at first i let you go but your really becoming a tool. when someone has documents and videos and proof on what they have shut up and take the loss.. you made a mistake by buying a dx. if you wanted to be fast you woulda got a si, coupe or sedan who gives a ****. im not going to go to the dealer and say... HMmmmmmmmm 200 hp or 140 one comes looking sweet and sounds nice and the other is bone stock and since there is nothing out for the car im going to have to spend tons when the **** first comes out........ the k20 is a much better platform to start off on... dohc as a whole is much better. why do you think its rare to see a sohc in old civics any more the first thing they do is a swap.... hmmm for a reason... and i dontgive a **** about the innovative things the r18 has to offer.. it feels like **** towards redline... and no matter what it still will..... now im not talking down a r18 as for quality and reliability its a great motor, just not for speed..... so when you have a whole community of people against you... just take the loss buddy and do some better research next time... just cause a k20 can keep up with an evo when its swapped into a hatch dosnt mean anything....
Old 11-05-2007
Registered!!

first off....no need to be an *** when me and dopes were on a good level, i even gave the guy a ****ing metal cuz he was being level headed about it so lay off.

secondly, i dont care what you think of me personally, but yea....when i got the DX off the lot it was like what your daddy said. But after bolting on the CAI, 2.25" exhaust, Megan racing DP,etc definetly made the world of difference on how this r18 performed. I dont expect it to drop me into hyperspace at this point with the mild hop ups done to it, but considering....its alot better then it was stock. As soon as i can get a god damn vid i will post it.

last but not least, i didnt want an Si, nor do i want one now. So i dont need to take any losses here?
After looking around for sometime now ive comes across what dopes what saying and how even the Si all modded N/A cant do better then 12-13's.
Then to boot the Si is 300lb heavier then the DX MT models.
This is what gets me here....(im not slamming the Si but just cannot see what honda did here?)
but...to add an extra 57HP on a car that weighs 300lb's more? that blows me away!

till then....
Old 11-05-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

w/e but yea a cai and exhaust its all in your head. it sounds better but i doubt it made much diffrence.
when i had my 7gen i raced another 7g i had sri/headers/catback he was bone stock. we were almost neck and neck and i pulled VERY SLOWLY away thats when i gave up on the 7g. and i got a 91 that can take you or a family car your choice lol
and yea sorry to rant on you but there are so many n00bs thinking they have the best car in the world and its because they read some bs article online... i say dont talk **** till you can back it up. but thats just me...
Old 11-05-2007
Registered!!

like i said....and ETC...

Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT clutch, etc///

your dads DX is stock right?
there is a big difference, cuz i wouldnt go back stock myself.
Old 11-05-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all

Look man....all we are trying to ask is do a little research before you start posting like your all high and mighty. With a little bit of time under the car and under the hood, youll realize how ignorant your posts are right now. We were all new to this at one time, but dont try and make **** up to sound cool...youre not fooling us. Just ask questions and do some research, thats how we all learned. That and making mistakes...then you know not to do it again. If you think Im talking **** on you, then you are wrong. Im just asking you to read around a bit.
Old 11-05-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

Hey hey hey...easy. lol. Maybe we can mold him from being a douche into someone who actually wants to learn....thats all I was trying to do. Besides...we dont want someone coming along down the road, actually doing a search like we always tell the new people to do, and they read this thread and get false information.
Old 11-05-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

This debate has been extracted from the thread it orig had apeared in.

I think you guys are getting at eachothers throats a little too much. I wont delete this thread because I think its a decent debate in some respectes, although I have deleted several of the most recent posts. Please keep the peace from here on out.

Last edited by TRIZ; 11-05-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2007
Registered!!

Re: Is the R18 more then a base model motor?

for sure Triz....my appologies!