8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Looking into the 2008 Civic....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ps2cho is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking into the 2008 Civic....

Hi guys,

I am currently a student and I drive an old 1988 Mercedes 300TE. It averages about 15mpg on my trips to work and school (sidestreets and freeway).

I want something new and does great gas mileage for the cheapest price and I found the civic.

How reliable are the civics in reality? I know my Mercedes is an absolute tank and it never need's anything done to it. (last generation before Mercedes turned to more profit by cutting quality)

Also in real terms, what is the average MPG on it? I want to buy new so I can take care of it and make it last a long time.

Does everybody like their civic?

What about upgrades for the future to boost some HP? Do they take benefit from KN Filters etc? I don't want a rice car here...I'm not into that. I want to get black and then when I can afford it, tint the windows black and get some nice black rims.

I am a student so I gotta save up some money before I look to buy it because I can't afford to take out an $18,000 loan because I couldn't afford the monthly payments.

Thanks, ps2cho
Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

Jutty is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking into the 2008 Civic....

I have had my 07 since June and have 8000 miles without any problems thus far...i average 33 mpg, but i can make it better or worse...depends on my shifting...plenty of upgrades out there for the civic
Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

Ravenous is an unknown quantity at this point

It'd honestly be hard to go wrong with it whatsoever.

Last time I did the math, I was getting some 32mpg when I was off the pedal.

I have never, *ever* been a Honda guy before, in any shape or form; I've always deferred to almost any other Japanese manufacturer simply b/c I never was drawn to the lines of their cars.

Since the 8th gen dropped, I saw one in person and was like 'dwaaaaahhh....?' Had the local dealer find exactly what I wanted, and I intend to keep it, period. (This coming from someone who trades autos every 6-8 months, and no, I *don't* say "I intend to keep it, period" every time. lol.)

Quality wise, though I didn't like the designs, even I could admit Hondas are solid.

Get your finances in order, and jump in. You won't regret it.

Also, props on colour scheme.. I'm about black on black on black, ad infinitum, as well.
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

KenB is an unknown quantity at this point

Save up and get the Civic ps2cho -- you won't regret it. Others may try to persuade you that there are other faster, quicker, or better cars out there. But for the money, you won't find a more reliable, fun to drive, nicely equipped, car.
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

Ravenous is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KenB
But for the money, you won't find a more reliable, fun to drive, nicely equipped, car.
And for that matter, long-term residual value.
Old 11-05-2007
Registered!!

Jutty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ravenous

I have never, *ever* been a Honda guy before, in any shape or form; I've always deferred to almost any other Japanese manufacturer simply b/c I never was drawn to the lines of their cars.
I was the same, except that I have grown up in a Ford family, so I never even saw myself in anything but a Ford...(of course I am buying another Ford this week...need a 4x4...civic shall remain though as my DD)
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

Argo is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't think I would ever own a Honda. I figured my next car would be another GM. (I could never bring myself to own a Ford...ick.) However, my parents bought an Odyssey a few years ago, which was my first time driving a Honda. I loved it. My friend bought an '06 Civic and I fell in love with it. This year I did a fair bit of research on a few different makes and models and I soon realized that the best vehicle in my price range with regard to reputation, reliability, quality, safety, fuel efficiency, looks and fun to drive put the Civic far ahead of the rest. I've only had mine for a few weeks now but I love it so much and it's so fun to drive.

Take it for a test drive and try out the manual transmission if you can. It's really fun to drive and it has a lot of pep.

I'm only on my second tank of gas, but the first one was 33 mpg, mostly city driving.

Good luck, and I'm certain you won't regret joining the club!
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough

Definately... my mom wanted me to test drive the Si before she decided to buy it and I LOVE the transmission. It is so smooth and easy to shift! Wow. I was really impressed.