Interior Post information/questions/Issues about Interiror Parts here.

Sun Visor split open?

Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powermixx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sun Visor split open?

Count me in this mess too. We bought an '06 used. The driver visor flopped off within a year. Now the passenger side is screwing up. What options do I have? This is rediculous.
Old 07-29-2010
Registered!!

Tiznonay is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, this is a common problem. It pops out when it heats up. sh*tty thing is even if they fix it under warranty, they replace it with the exact same thing.

I've got an 06 I bought new, and it's come real close to splitting open in the CA summers, so I'm always really careful about using em when its hot. thats all you really can do.
Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

prtcannon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '08 Civic and the same thing happened to me about a month and a half ago. As you're all aware, it's really obnoxious.

I just visited the dealership where I purchased the car (Charlotte, NC) and was informed that since I have 40,000 miles on the odometer, the warranty on the visor has expired. It's going to cost $130 to fix.

Seriously?

Come on, Honda. I bought the car because of its legendary reliability.
Old 08-10-2010
Registered!!

sonjar is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the dealer and they wanted 81.00 dollars for a replacement. I told them that this never ever happened to my 1998 voyageur(still using the car) and this is clearly a defect. A dangerous one at that. So I refused to pay up and went and saw the salesman who sold me the car and told him that he should tell people that Honda has defects. Of course I don`t expect him to do this but I told him I WILL most certainly let everyone know that buying a Honda sucks. They expect that people pay this every few months. He said he`ll see what he can do but no promises it`s been months.
Old 08-10-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

At least you got to enjoy your sun visor till it ripped open. Shoot, my visor was already ripped when the car was purchased--straight from the dealership.
Old 08-16-2010
Registered!!

und1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can order this part on-line from Bill Kay Honda in Illinois. I did a seach for the part and found this dealer to have the best price. It's around $43.00. The part is easy to replace. The dealer will charge around $60-80 plus installation. (What a joke...charging you $40-$60 for removing and replacing two screws.)
Old 08-16-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know if the sun visors, regardless of yr, are compatible/interchangeable?
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

__Doc_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on this boat. 07 coupe driver side split. Dealer told me 52$ I said **** that. I bought some Gorilla super glue and it held up for about a month. The only way I can get mine to stay up is if I squeeze the cam until it's almost flush with the roof then it stays up.
Heat also messed up my window molding ( Indiana here )
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
Does anyone know if the sun visors, regardless of yr, are compatible/interchangeable?
I know at least the '06-'09 models are the same.
Old 08-20-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol i was at the dealer last week and someone was in with his 2010 getting his 4th set of visors.
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

DaytonaCivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

I had mind replaced less than two weeks ago as well, the Service manager told me its a design flaw as well, he has seen a lot of them falling a part.
Old 08-27-2010
Registered!!

lopez33 is an unknown quantity at this point

THIS JUST happend to me. =(. ITs quite annoying
Old 09-01-2010
Registered!!

wisterok is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Sun Visor split open?

Count me in too. Both of mine split a few days ago - the driver side was worse than the passenger side. I have a 2006 Civic EX that I bought new in southern New Mexico. I live in Oklahoma now. Oklahoma has had some vicious heat recently but if I had been aware of this problem maybe I could have been more diligent about parking it in the shade or covering the windshield. I had a 1990 Civic that never gave me a lick of trouble so this was a surprise. Water over the dam. I have less than 17K miles on it and I'm hoping to get some satisfaction from the dealer. The closest dealer to me is Ft. Smith, AR about 45 miles from home. Does anybody know for sure if there's a TSB out on this and if so how do I get the number? Appreciate any help.
Old 09-01-2010
Registered!!

youthfulstone is an unknown quantity at this point

My sun visor split last Thursday, only to have the passenger side split open as well on the way to the dealership! They didn't charge me for labor, but charged me $10 for each visor replacement part. I live in AZ, so now I'm always weary of using them to block out the sun, only to have them split again.

Honda's claim that it's an environmental problem is ridiculous. The car is being used under normal circumstances and isn't being abused, and the visors are still failing. If it were an environmental problem, they shouldn't be selling vehicles in a region where it cannot perform safely and properly. This issue is obviously a result of poor design and needs to fixed.
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

redrex87 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2009 civic had the same problem and the Honda dealer said it happen all the time. It took two trips to the dealer for them to fix it, one to order and two to install. I told the service writter that they should have large stock of them if they always beak.
Old 09-18-2010
Registered!!

billdadune is an unknown quantity at this point

I now have both sunvisors split, the driver's side fell off while I was driving and the passenger side is split and just hanging (this started happening months ago but I thought it was just my imagination so I didn't go to the dealer right away). I have read all your posts and I see we are all frustrated with this issue (I contacted the dealer and they won't help since I am out of warranty based on mileage and Ron at Honda Corporate has left me a couple of messages but has not actually spoken to me. The dealer keeps sending me back to Ron and Ron keeps sending me back to the dealer). I am considering filing a class action lawsuit against Honda. If you are interested in possibly joining this potential lawsuit email me and give me some general info so I can try to determine how big this problem really is:

Year/Model of your Honda (mine is a 2007 Civic LX)
Mileage (mine is about 70K but the car is just 2.5 years old)
State of Residence (mine is Florida)
Who you have contacted (for me the dealer and Honda Corporate at 800-999-1009 Ron Ext 117732 and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)

Honda needs to make this right...you would think they would have learned from Toyota's recent quality and defective product issues. I have owned 5 Hondas and have always been pleased with the quality until now. I do not understand why Honda refuses to take care of its loyal customers. I am so frustrated I may never buy another Honda.

If you might be interested in joining a possible class action lawsuit email me at billdadune@yahoo.com with the subject line: Honda Sun Visor.
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

jeremypwong is an unknown quantity at this point

My Honda is 2006 Civic Si. Both Passenger & Driver side sun visors were split. I couldn't stand with hanging passenger side visor, removed and threw away. For my driver side sun visor, I squeezed and made stay up. For my advise, do not throw away. I called American Honda for assistance at 800-999-1009 today and they opend a case for me to look at my sun visor issue on next couple days. Bad thing is: they will only replace the defective part which is stayed attached to vehicle. See what happen!!!
Old 11-18-2010
Registered!!

Palndrm12 is an unknown quantity at this point

My driverside visor has also split open, 2006 Civic EX. It was some time ago I believe around 50,000 miles way out of warranty. The dealer told me that they usually only cover interior trim parts for 1 year, my car was probably 2 or 3 years old at the time. He quoted me $62 for the part and $20 installation fee for a total of $82. I can't even imagine living in a warm climate as I am in Southeast Michigan. I design similar parts and I am familiar with the tests that these have to go through and this is most certainly a design flaw. Most likely a material issue as it seems the plastic cannot withstand thermal expansion in the warm climates. I have to imagine they saw this in testing. Well I am going to try and call the suggested number and see what happens. My car is now at 95,000 miles and nearly 5 years old but I still have the visor attached I just don't use it. Good luck to all those fighting this issue.
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

chevyblazer383 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am replacing the passenger side visor at about 60K miles miles after replacing the driver side at about 40K miles. My choice was to buy a replacement from e-bay for about $40. Takes about 2 minutes to replace. Would be nice for Honda to take responsibility for the bad design but haven't bothered to do anything about it because I don't think it will be worth the effort
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Bobcat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 2007 civic and had my driver side visor replaced within my original warranty. Then it broke again late last year after my warranty expired and was told I had to pay for it. I just stopped using it. Last week I went to the dealership for an oil change and inquired about the sun visor replacement. I was told that Honda extended the warranty on 5/10/11 for the sun visor on 2006-2009 civics to 7 years from date of purchase or 100,000 miles whichever one comes first. Ask your dealership to replace it for free. Supposingly, Honda redesigned the visor to correct the problem. We'll see about that...

Last edited by Bobcat; 06-14-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Casey C is an unknown quantity at this point

is there anything in writing covering this? Just want to know if i had a leg to stand on if i went to the dealership? my drivers side just broke just like all the others listed on here. bought the car used at carmax.. 2007 SI with only 43K on it
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

Bobcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Sun Visor split open?

Casey,

Yes, it's in writing, I had my dealership print me out a copy. Only they had access to the website for the notice it's called "service bulletin". On the notice, it said "Owners of 2006-09 Civics will receive a notification of this warranty extension." I haven't received the notification yet, I just so happened to ask when I went in for the oil change. To be safe, I would call your dealership and ask about it and make sure that your car falls under this extended warranty and that they have the part in stock.

Best of luck!
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

nm49 is an unknown quantity at this point

See visorsettlement.com
Get your money back.
Class action suit was settled.
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

BrianBeasley is an unknown quantity at this point

In the past, Honda Civic owners have posted messages on this site concerning failed sun visors. I work with one of the law firms representing the plaintiffs and class members in a case against Honda regarding Honda Civic sun visors. As "nm49" correctly stated, we have reached a settlement with Honda in the case.

If you own or lease (or previously owned or leased) a Honda Civic (model years 2006 through 2008, as well as some 2009 models) you might be eligible to receive settlement benefits--including an extended warranty on the visors and reimbursement for what you paid out-of-pocket to repair your sun visor. The notice that went to the class regarding the case and the settlement is available at www.visorsettlement.com, under the "Notice" link in the left-hand column. You may review it to see if your vehicle is covered under the settlement and if you are entitled to benefits. The notice contains information on how to submit a claim for reimbursement if you paid out-of-pocket to repair or replace your Civic sun visor.

If you have questions, feel free to call me or Steven Tindall at 415-421-1800 or log onto www.visorsettlement.com.

Brian Beasley
Rukin Hyland Doria & Tindall LLP
Old 07-18-2011
Registered!!

barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very simple. Called my local dealer. Knew all about it and had plenty in stock. Replaced the passenger side, too, even though that hadn't broken (yet). No cost, 10 minutes of waiting, and absolutely no hassle about it ('07 Civic Hybrid).
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

Calruby is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't about split visors but I thought I might get an answer. My 2001 Honda Civic EX has been great for 10 years now but the fabric on both sun visors is badly deteriorated. Everything else in the car looks very nice. I called the local Honda dealer and they can order new visors and install them for about $100. After 10 years, I can't complain. But I'd like to know before I go in...is this something that should be covered under warranty? If I do need to pay, then I'll glady pay. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 08-14-2011
Registered!!

barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calruby
This isn't about split visors but I thought I might get an answer. My 2001 Honda Civic EX has been great for 10 years now but the fabric on both sun visors is badly deteriorated. Everything else in the car looks very nice. I called the local Honda dealer and they can order new visors and install them for about $100. After 10 years, I can't complain. But I'd like to know before I go in...is this something that should be covered under warranty? If I do need to pay, then I'll gladly pay. Thank you in advance for your help.
You might be able to talk a dealer into covering this under the extended warranty for this issue. l would think you might have a chance, especially if you live in a hot part of the country. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

This is an 8th gen only problem...Glad they did something, because a visor that wont stay up is certainly a safety issue. The 8th gens visors are now covered for 7 years or 100k miles.

I don't think you will get far on a 10-11 year old 7th gen with fabric issues...but good luck. Just get them online or at the dealer and replace them yourself.
Old 08-28-2011
Registered!!

Reabralop is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortunatley mine still stays in position but the plastic has broken. So it doesn't go back up without special treatment. Been thinking of this cheap fix and finally did it today. Metal spring clip (big one). I just put it on and seemed to work so I'll give it a try the next few days. If that fails, I'll follow up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Visor 2.jpg
Views:	2065
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	81626   Click image for larger version

Name:	visor 1.jpg
Views:	3677
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	81627  
Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

scottinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Sun Visor split open?

My driver's side sun visor (on my '07 Civic LX coup) finally came apart last week after loosening up all summer. I clamped it down with a large-size binder clip; kept the black plastic portion on but took of the metal prongs (one was blocking the mirror). So far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sun Visor split open?