8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Bad gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brinday is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad gas mileage?

Hey. I just bought a brand new 07 lx coupe. I just went through my first tank of gas and only got 22 mpg. Is this normal? I didn't drive crazy or anything.. didn't stomp on the gas at lights and drove about 70 mph on the freeway. I would say I drove 70% freeway 30% city. Also, there was only one time I had the AC running. I just thought it would be at least 30 mpg. I've also seen a lot of posts on here saying people are getting really great gas mileage.
I love the car. I'm just kind of worried about this considering I drive a lot.
Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Re: Bad gas mileage?

It is New and I am guessing it is an auto.. Let it break in and then start watching the MPG. If it stays like this then it is under warranty and Honda should look at it.
Old 07-21-2007
Registered!!

wincros is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=brinday;4205271]Hey. I just bought a brand new 07 lx coupe. I just went through my first tank of gas and only got 22 mpg. Is this normal?

I am wondering too. Fifth fillup on my 07 EX coupe with manual transmission. 22 mpg. This is very disappointing. I have always gotten averages at city mileage or better on any car I have had. I got rid of my WRX which got 20 mpg under the same driving conditions. Except it weighed 500 pounds more, had 89 more horsepower and AWD. The Civic is a nice car otherwise.

Wondering how long to wait before seeing the dealer about a possible fix. Anyone heard whether this is a known problem?
Old 07-21-2007
Registered!!

be0524 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I got my 07 civic ex auto last year, I was so disappointed. My was like 23-28 mpg. Right after the first oil change, it got imporved, and the guy from the honda dealer told me that honda put a special engine oil at the beginning, and that'e the reason he told me. (he recommended the first oil change between 5k to 6k) After the oil change, mine works fine. For sure, your driving style also could be a part of the problem. I used to drive 300zx. It drank gas alot. When I drove my civic with the way I drove 300zx, gas mileage was so bad. Now I'm getting like 32-37mpg, usually I hit 400 with full tank.
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

SpencerCoy is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm i drive the 5 speed lx and ive pretty much been over 29 every tank... and i drive it like a bat out of hell on crack... usually hitting 6k rpms on every shift :-D i love street racing.
Old 03-10-2008
Registered!!

doof is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my '07 LX. It's got a manual tranny.
The BEST I can get is 29mpg, a pretty far cry from the advertised 36 - 50mpg. I've got about 6500 miles on it now. It should be broken in. The funny thing is, when I first got it, it did a lot better. A couple of weeks after I got it I took it on a trip from Michigan to New Jersey and got 46 mpg driving 70mph with the AC on!
It started getting bad as soon as it started getting cold outside. Now that spring is coming and it gets a little warmer every now and then I see a difference right away in the mileage. I know that every vehicle is affected by cold but this is ridiculous!
I've taken it to the dealer 4 times and they can't find anything wrong. They say they just have to wait for Honda to respond to enough complaints about it.
I'm pretty disappointed. I traded in a '99 Accord for it. With the 200hp V6 I got 29mpg city and 35 highway... better than with my new Civic.
Before the Accord I had a '95 Civic. With that car I averaged 40 city and 47 highway! My brother in law is driving it now as a work beater and still gets 45mpg, and it's got well over 200000 miles!
I wonder if Honda is just losing quality along with almost every other automaker?
Very unhappy...
Old 03-10-2008
Registered!!

Oh by the way, I love the car otherwise
Old 03-10-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Have you changed the oil yet?
Old 03-10-2008
Registered!!

Yes I did. I think probably about 1000 miles ago or so. Didn't make any difference.
Old 03-10-2008
Registered!!

Something else I forgot to mention... Every now and then when accelerating it will miss or hesitate slightly.
And the dealer actually told me that they have had others with the same complaint. Everything scans fine but they just can't figure out what's wrong. No engine lights have come on or anything, the car is garage kept, and it's usually my wife driving. When I drive, I drive like I'm twice my age because I'm trying to save as much gas as possible. I live in Canada where California gas prices are pretty low compared to what we pay.
I bought the car based on the advertised 36 to 50 mpg.
Old 03-11-2008
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point

What did you say 36 to 50 mpg... you must be thinking of the hi-bred my 08 4 door with man.tran. gets about 27 mpg and I drive like the little old lady from Pasadena.
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Well I have very similiar complaints on very new cars & in cold tempatures, especially this time of year. The cold makes it hard to keep combustion going & to ignite the air/fuel mixture....ever try to light a lighter in 10 degree weather?

-I also generally see my customers cars horrible on gas mileage brand new....they all report to me that after around 10-15k the gas mileage rose up......this being do to the engine being worn in.

You also must note that those MPG fixures on the window stickers are usually w/o any accessory drives ie. power steering, a/c......and are also done in a lab on a treadmill w/ controlled climate. Absolutely no wind resistance!!!

The Government actually passed new regulations on what companies can post. As of 2007 I believe every manufactuer in the usa had to start using "real world" estimates. Not lab figures...........
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rocksinger
What did you say 36 to 50 mpg... you must be thinking of the hi-bred my 08 4 door with man.tran. gets about 27 mpg and I drive like the little old lady from Pasadena.

No kidding! I just looked on Honda's US website and they only say 26 to 34 mpg.
Here in Canada they're advertised at 36 to 50 mpg. Hybrids are rated at 60 mpg.
That dosen't make sense.
Seriously, when I went to look at the car they even had "50 MPG" written on the windshield of the showroom model with that yellow washable paint. And it was just a DX. Then they had the vehicle information on the side window and that said 36 city and 50 highway.
Why would they advertise them so much higher here in Canada? I don't get it.
When I brought it to the dealer, they acknowledged that I was getting bad gas mileage. I'm confused...
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

FoSho said: I also generally see my customers cars horrible on gas mileage brand new....they all report to me that after around 10-15k the gas mileage rose up......this being do to the engine being worn in.

So if I only have 6500 miles you figure it will probably get better after a while?

FoSho also said: You also must note that those MPG fixures on the window stickers are usually w/o any accessory drives ie. power steering, a/c......and are also done in a lab on a treadmill w/ controlled climate. Absolutely no wind resistance!!!

Why did I get up to 46 mpg before then? And my old '95 civic (still on the road) gets around 45.

FoSho said: The Government actually passed new regulations on what companies can post. As of 2007 I believe every manufactuer in the usa had to start using "real world" estimates. Not lab figures...........

I wonder if that's why Honda's US website only says 26 to 34 while in Canada they claim 36 - 50? Makes sense.
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

1> Yes, 98% of what I see and what my customers tell me.....you're mpg should go up with engine break-in

2>46 mpg in an 07 civic? That is freakin amazing...most my 02 civic was 40 on the highway....36-38 average....07's are bigger and have a bigger engine...plus they're ugly & very not-very-wind friendly j/k
Plus...45mpg in an old civic is freakin amazing....how are you coming to this conclusion?

3>Yes, this would explain why now new cars in america have realistic mpg......The government "just" recenlty made this legit....so you will be seein more of these realistic figures...I doubt canada has jumped on the bandwagon yet......

Plus you have to understand....if you had a product wouldn't you want to boast about it and make it look really well? We'll people run car companies.....and people like to make money...and not all people are honest....just how the business goes man.....car business is anything but legit .... I hate to say it! So, this is why you get "stretch" mpg fixures! But....they do get those figures....in a lab,no wind, and no accessory....so techanically.....it's not a lie

Last edited by FoSho; 03-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

Murderjetz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by doof
I wonder if that's why Honda's US website only says 26 to 34 while in Canada they claim 36 - 50? Makes sense.
that's probably because a canadian gallon is bigger than an american gallon. I don't really get that because...i thought the term "gallon" was imperial...and canada uses the metric system. Yet we still sometimes rate fuel economy by MPG. same american "mile", but different than the american "gallon". it's weird...but anyway, my point is, we have a different gallon, resulting in a much different MPG rating.

1 U.S. Gallon = 3.785 Liters
1 Can Gallon = 4.546 Liters
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

gotcha ya!
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

FoSho said 46 mpg in an 07 civic? That is freakin amazing...most my 02 civic was 40 on the highway....36-38 average....07's are bigger and have a bigger engine...plus they're ugly & very not-very-wind friendly j/k
Plus...45mpg in an old civic is freakin amazing....how are you coming to this conclusion?

And Murderjetz said that's probably because a canadian gallon is bigger than an american gallon. I don't really get that because...i thought the term "gallon" was imperial...and canada uses the metric system. Yet we still sometimes rate fuel economy by MPG. same american "mile", but different than the american "gallon". it's weird...but anyway, my point is, we have a different gallon, resulting in a much different MPG rating.
1 U.S. Gallon = 3.785 Liters
1 Can Gallon = 4.546 Liters

I realize what you guys are saying and I know you've got a point.... BUT... Here in Canada, yes we use the metric system, but the Canadian gallon is not actually used at all as a normal measurement as far as I know. We always use Litres.
And if I would figure my previous gas mileage by the Canadian gallon, then I would have gotten about 55mpg.
How did I figure it out?
I simply convert the amount kilometers that I got on the tank, which was 680. That makes 422.55 miles.
Then I convert the amount of Litres (which is 35) I used to US gallons. That is 9.25 gallons. 422.55 divided by 9.25 is 45.6 mpg.
Also, the dealer is saying that 29mpg is too little.
I don't know... Now that it's starting to warm up outside it's getting much better. I'm getting roughly 35mpg as soon as the temp stays up around 50F.

Anyways, thanks for the input.
BTW I still love the car
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Murderjetz is an unknown quantity at this point

it's funny you mention using the metric system, and then you go and talk in degrees Fahrenheit lol.

but anyway, I rarely hear anyone give me gas mileage in litres. I guess in this area, it's usually in MPG for some reason. like if someone tells me "6.9L/100KM"...I have a lot of trouble figuring out what that means. it just seems so ***-backwards.
Old 03-29-2008
Registered!!

Skunkwerks Boss is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a new ex last month, the first time I filled up and hit the highway, I got 36 mpg. Filled up again, drove the whole tankfull in town and got 27.5 mpg. I am way good with all of that!
Old 05-12-2008
Registered!!

Atlblkz06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a Civic LX next weekend and I'm doing some HW.

I do agree that mileage will improve by a bit (~5mpg) but 22MPG is just ridiculous.

And no, mileage tests are not done on an engine dyno. That makes absolutely no sense.

They drive the car under controlled circumstances over several miles at set speeds with the AC ON.
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

dglstvns is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Bad gas mileage?

I bought a new Honda Civic 2007 one year ago. I have keep a complete record of the mileage and found that I am getting 10 MPG less that was posted on the car when I bought it. The window sticker estimated MPG was 30 to 40. I get 20 to 30 MPG. I am looking for other people who have found the same thing and are mad as hell about it.
Old 12-29-2009
Registered!!

carlitos65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Bad gas mileage?

Having same problem here. Just bought an 06 Civic coupe and just went through my first gas tank and it gave me about 27 mpg. I'm a bit dissapointed because my main reason of buying this car was to save money on gas. The car had 89k miles at time of purchase. First thing done to it was the 90k mile service. My mechanic also told me that the motor mount needs replacement because the rubber was cracked. I am having second thoughts on it but unfortunatelly I can't back out because it was bought as-is.