8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Adding subwoofer/amp to new 07 Si Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007
dlm
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dlm is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding subwoofer/amp to new 07 Si Sedan

I would like to add my subwoofer from my old car to my new car's system. The Si already has a smaller subwoofer in the rear dash. Has anyone tapped into the inputs for the stock subwoofer's amp for use w/ an after-market amp? I think this would be the ideal signal to use for an input (I'm assuming Honda has some sort of cross-over to eliminate some of the bass going to the mid/high speakers.) If anyone has done this please let me know what you found out/did/and how it worked out.

Thanks!
-D.L.

Last edited by dlm; 05-04-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Adding subwoofer/amp to new 07 Si Sedan

Hello Dim,
I have a 2007 EX Sedan. The first thing that I did when I got it was to take it to a stereo shop to have new amp/speaker/subwoofer installed.

The put Alpine R speakers for the front. Alpine R has seperate woofers and tweeters. The tweeters was a bit challenge to put in, but they manage to replace the stock tweeters at the bottom of the A pillar.

As for the Amp, I had a Alpine 4 Channel 50 Watt RMS amp, which is bolted to the right rear seatback. The beauty of this is that you can flip the backseat back forward to make any adjustments to the amp. Also, it is hidden from prying eyes.

I believe the stereo shop connected to the amp to the speaker level output of the stock head unit. Then you can adjust the "strength" of the signal via a screw on the amp.

As for the subwoofer, I went with Alpine R 10 inch sub. The shop custom made a 1 cubic foot box and screw it in the trunk on the right side, press us against the seat back.
The shop hook up the 2 front channel of the amp to the front speakers and the 2 rear channel to the Subwoofer. On the Alpine Amp, there is a switch for the rear channel to select for either regular speakers or subwoofer so it is flip to the subwoofer postion.
The 2 rear speakers are driven by the factory OEM head unit and I have not touch those. I adjusted the fade to 'R2 'and it fills in the fullness of the sound.
If you got money, then a better set up would be an amp to drive the regular speakers and another amp to drive the subwoofer.

Also, they score the spare tire card-cover so it is now "hinge" to allow the spare tire to come out without removing the subwoofer.
From the outside, there is no sign that there is any upgraded aftermarket equipment, but I can tell you the system sounds killer now....my friends comment that it is the best "factory" system they have ever heard and surprise that the little civic sounds so great...until I show the the setup.

All for now. and hope that helps

Plastics
07 Civic EX Sedan black (of course)

Last edited by plastics; 05-05-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: additional info