8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Car is Violent when Cold. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tenshi O. is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Car is Violent when Cold. Normal?

I just bought a used Honda Civic 2006 SI with navigation package. It had 9k miles on it, so it was practically brand new. I put 93 octane into it (since you usually don't have any options between 89 and 93). Here is a problem:

When the car is cold (i.e. sat overnight, or 8-9 hours while at work), the car seems to be fairly violent. I start the car, back out of the parking spot, and slide it into first gear. As I am easing the car up to 15mph or so (3 - 4k rpm), I get a fairly violent jutter. It's sort of a rhythmic "slip stick slip stick". I'm not sure if it's the clutch or the engine, but it feels almost like a really hard downshift (like there is suddenly a lot of weight on the engine in short pulses). These pulses continue through second gear and just a little into third. After about 1 minute, the problem goes away. If I pump the gas just a little harder in each gear, I can get it to go away sooner. There are no grinding sounds or smells from the clutch, but there are very short revving sounds from the engine. The part that concerns me most is that it is strong enough to jerk me just a little bit. The car continues to ride a little rough for the next 5 - 10 minutes (but I hear that's normal with any manual when it's cold). Do any of you experience this, and is this normal, or should I have my vehicle checked? (it's still got the factory warranty and 11 months of a certified used vehicle warranty).

I'd like to qualify this post by saying that this is the first manual that I have owned, so I've not had one to drive on a regular basis before, and some of it is new to me. That having been said, I am certainly more than competent enough to drive a manual without stalling out or grinding gears. I am experienced enough to know that these problems are not being caused by anything that I am doing with the clutch or the gas, so please refrain from pugilistic comments on that subject.

If I allow the car to warm up for 5 - 10 minutes before I slip it into gear, everything is significantly smoother.

I have also been told that the car has a "downshift sensor" on it. As it was explained to me, if you ease up on the gas or slowly break in the lower gears, you can feel the car preparing for you to downshift. I certainly do feel some sudden resistance when I begin to ease up in the lower gears, and this is a similar feeling to what I experience above (though why it would do so in first gear ... I don't know). Does such an animal exist, and could my problem be related to this?

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.
Old 04-04-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car is Violent when Cold. Normal?

Not a clue, but subscribing to see how this turns out.
Old 04-13-2007
Registered!!

sonitex is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a service bulletin for this problem on the 06 Si. SB# 06-052. The affected VIN ranges from 700001 thru 707606. It has to do with updating the ECM with the HDS with software version 2.005.004 or later. It eliminates to some extent the surging in first and second, and also the rpm hang when shifting. This SB is dated Aug 9, 2006. I had an Si that was out of the range of VIN, but had the same problem. The dealer updated my ECM and it drives so much better.

Last edited by sonitex; 04-18-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

20strong is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that all of the Si's are unhappy when they are cold. I have a 2007 and mine does it to. I just let it warm up till the rpm's drop under 1500 and then baby it. If I stand outside the car and smoke a cig she is warm enough and doesnt do it.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

Bronwyn031 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a 06 Si and mine does the exact same thing under cold starts unless I let it warm up 1st.
My friend says his 05 RSX does the exact same thing and another friend says that his 02 Honda Ex does that too.
Nevertheless, I took my car into my local Honda dealership and had service take a look at the car.
They reported back to me that the car wasn't registering anything wrong with it in the Fault Computer; that if the problem persisted bring the vehicle back.
The next night I got out of work (nights) and didn't warm the car up tried to drive it away. YEEE-HAWWW! Ridem Cowboy!!! The bucking was so major in 1st gear that it actually startled me.
After shifting into 2nd the bucking subsided and after the car warms up the problem completely goes away.
I never took the car back into Honda but rather I just take the 6-7 minutes to warm her up before driving her away.
Now that spring has come to S. Cali, the problem doesn't manifest itself at all.

I think the problem has something to do with the idle speed of the K20 motor under cold starts. After the engine warms up you will notice that the idle RPMs are like around 18k and as the motor warms itself up they calm down around 12k or so. Just give the motor a chance to wake up and you'll see she's right as rain
Manual Honda's just don't like to be driven cold.

b2f_

Last edited by Bronwyn031; 04-16-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

mysterymanmarty is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive Got An 07 And It Doesnt Do It And Never Has , No Problems To Speak Of , Except Trying To Shift Without The Clutch Into 6th Never Is Very Smooth
Old 04-28-2007
Registered!!

Kup4036 is an unknown quantity at this point

u guys are scaring me!!! Im getting ready to buy an 07 civic si, and youre telling me, I have to baby it, adn let it warm up before its good to go? hell, even a bottom of the line american car doesnt do that., and I hate american cars!!!
Also, somebody,pplease talk me into buying this car. I really really really want a civic si, but Im hearing some of the horror stories on this web page and seeing other bigger cars (camry) for the same price. please talk me off the ledge!!
Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

Chrispy07SI is an unknown quantity at this point

it doesnt matter what you drive you should not be driving your car right off the get go when it is cold, especially in Canada where the winters are really cold, firstly your pistons are actually partially oval shaped when cold to allow for heat expansion and smoother running when warm secondly, cold oil does not flow as well as it does when warm, so the engagement of a gear is likely going to be rough when cold
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

Kup4036 is an unknown quantity at this point

just got my civic si on sat. love it. however, it is currently summer here, adn no problems of course. i am now worried about winter.

ugggggg