8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Drive to Neutral to Drive on HWY on AT, Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xxhaimbondxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Drive to Neutral to Drive on HWY on AT, Safe?

OK, I had mixed stories on that form different people, so any professional advice from a pro would be appreciated. I like to drive on the hwy and if I go down hill, I just shift my AT to neutral and when I get to the bottom, I shift back to Drive again. It seems to me that this saves quite some gas, however, I was pointed out that it wouldn't be too healthy for a tranny to be shifted to Drive at high speeds. It doesn't look like tranny mind that I do that. I did that to my older cars and they were fine. What do you guys say?
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

aaron_c is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly doubt that it saves you enough gas to use the energy of shifting into neutral honestly, but at the same time, I don't think it'll hurt anything either. When I drive my dads '01 Tacoma, I bump the shifter into neutral sometimes because my legs are long and its kinda cramped in there. It doesn't seem to do anything at all, you can barely notice it going in and out of gear (the only way you can tell is because the rpm's drop).

Hope that helps a little
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

It must save quite a lot of gas, just think, some hills could be half to a mile long. When I am going 80 mph, my RPMs are at about 3000, maybe more. If I am cruising down the hill, instead of 3000, I could only be at 700-800. And if you live at hilly area, then it is a definite benefit.
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

aaron_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, you must live in an area with 'real' hills lol. The biggest hills where I live may be as long as 50 yards either way, not much of a hill compared to what you are talking about. Yeah, I guess I could see it saving gas on a hill that long.

Go for it, and if it breaks, let us know so nobody else will do it lol.
Old 01-07-2007
Registered!!

Trukfr8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well it may sound logical but, shifting to neutral may use more gas and is very dangerous. Go to Save Gas - AutoAnything Tips to Saving Gas. It talks about this very question.
Also have you checked the local laws? I know it is against the law in a commercial vehicle to shift into neutral, because of the less control of the vehicle you have. (Just spilling my 2 cents worth)
Old 01-08-2007
Registered!!

frotrk is an unknown quantity at this point
i shift mine into neutral and right back to drive on downhill. seems to override the grade decent and reduce rpm and engine braking
Clark
Old 01-08-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
i think its bad for a tranny over a period of time.

but i have no evidence to back this up.

"The burden is on the state your honor!!!"
Old 01-08-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
This urban legend is a popular gas saver myth for foothill dwellers and weekend ski trippers. Not only is this ineffective at saving gas, but it is extremely dangerous. There's no reason to cut-off your acceleration control - coasting with your foot off the gas uses the same amount of fuel. And, letting your vehicle drift downhill can generate triple-digit speeds - one reason why coasting downhill in neutral is illegal in many areas. And if you're thinking of the next crazy step - turning off your engine to coast downhill - the cops should cut-up your license.
Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

frotrk is an unknown quantity at this point
well i would rather come off the hill at 63mph @1500rpm than 56mph and 2100rpm.
Clark
Old 01-10-2007
Registered!!

X026092 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by frotrk
well i would rather come off the hill at 63mph @1500rpm than 56mph and 2100rpm.
Clark

It does not matter fuel consumption wise if your foot is off the gas. But you will put a strain on your tranny when you pop it in to drive.

Larry
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
do it more. you gain .01 hp for everytime you do that. but seriously, why cut off your accel when your moving?
Old 01-23-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing i've ever heard about this was in driver's ed, like 9 years ago, and at that point, they were saying it was bad for the transmission. The teacher was like 60, tho, so I don't know if it applies to modern cars. His contention back then was tranmissions weren't designed to be in neutral over 30mph. Either way, civics are pretty efficient to begin with, why risk your transmission to get an extra 0.1mpg??
Old 01-23-2007
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
what i heard is that you use more gas if you put it in neutral going downhill. the explanation is that the engine will require gas to keep it idling at at 1000 rpm or so, whereas having the car in gear and foot off the gas keeps the engine running using the momentum of the car. so it wouldn't matter if the car is going downhill at 2000 or 4000 rpm (foot off gas), the fuel injectors are not spraying and gravity is doing its work in keeping the engine running.
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Originally Posted by dalaw
what i heard is that you use more gas if you put it in neutral going downhill. the explanation is that the engine will require gas to keep it idling at at 1000 rpm or so, whereas having the car in gear and foot off the gas keeps the engine running using the momentum of the car. so it wouldn't matter if the car is going downhill at 2000 or 4000 rpm (foot off gas), the fuel injectors are not spraying and gravity is doing its work in keeping the engine running.

Well said!!
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
Either way, civics are pretty efficient to begin with, why risk your transmission to get an extra 0.1mpg??
Mine isn't efficient at all. Over two tanks of gas, (I didn't reset at last fill up), I have made exactly 600 miles, and that mostly hwy driving, no hard accel. I didn't have my first oil change because its still on 40%. I'm guessing by the time my lease is over, it might give me promised mpg.
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

SOHC_VTEC_pwr is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its stoopid!!
Old 01-23-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xxhaimbondxx
Mine isn't efficient at all. Over two tanks of gas, (I didn't reset at last fill up), I have made exactly 600 miles, and that mostly hwy driving, no hard accel. I didn't have my first oil change because its still on 40%. I'm guessing by the time my lease is over, it might give me promised mpg.
Wow, even when I drive like a complete *******, I still get like 330 miles before my gas light comes on.
Old 03-14-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
you have a new car...of course it doesnt feel bad right now. even on my car, it didnt feel bad and i have an 02. FROM EXPERIENCE....do not DO NOT....do it. the more you do it, the more youre damaging your car. its not a gas saver, what maybe 2 mpg AT THE MOST....please save yourself a 6,000 tranny swap from Honda and stop messing around.