8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Honda defroster reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006
KRM
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KRM is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Honda defroster reprogramming

You may have noticed that when you turn on the windshield defroster, by default, the a/c will run to provide de-humidified air to the windshield. That is the way Honda has set it up in most of its' recent models. To me, the annoying aspect is that in the defrost modes the a/c control is disabled and there is no way to turn off the a/c. In many situations (particularly warm, rainy conditions) it makes sense to have the a/c go on, but in others, like very cold damp weather, or when driving in heavy or blowing snow, when you are trying to minimize icing on the winshield, it doesn't seem to make sense at all. Also, the manual emphasizes how running the A/C decreases MPG and encourages owners NOT to run it whenever it can be avoided!

Fortunately, there is a solution to this problem that is not documented in the owners manual! As I said, it appears to work with most recent Honda models and I have tried it successfully on my 2006 Civic. Here's how to reprogram the defoster:
- With the key in the "Off" position, set the controls as follows.
- Blower control to "Off"
- Temperature control to coldest
- Mode button to select panel vents only (cannot be selected with the key off, so select this before turning the engine off before starting programming)
- Holding down the recirculate button AND the A/C button, START THE ENGINE. (Continue holding the two buttons) The recirculate button indicator light will flash for about seven seconds. Then the A/C green indicator light will flash on. The defroster is now reprogrammed!

Now the defroster will work as follows.
When selecting Defrost or Defrost + Floor the A/C will still come on, BUT so will the A/C indicator light, and the A/C button is NOT disabled. Now you can push the A/C button and turn the A/C off! It will NOT come on again if you stop the engine and then restart, although you can push the A/C button to turn it on if you wish.

Since in very cold weather I tend to leave the control in the defrost + floor with the A/C off, this works fine for me. Just remember to occasionally run the A/C for a while to keep the seals lubricated. (Just not all winter long!)
Old 11-13-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
nice! you get a sticky
Old 11-18-2006
Registered!!

TimThein is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that the driver should decide whether to use the A/C or not. My old 1993 Acura Integra had that feature. However, in the early days of my ownership of that Integra, I was not aware that I should use the A/C to help defrost my windows, until my service advisor told me. He said most people are used to American cars that automatically turn on the A/C when defrosting the window.

I'm glad you're sharing this undocumented feature. This month was the first time I used the defrost function. For a brief moment, I wondered why the air was colder than I expected. I quickly realized that the A/C must be on by default and then I quickly realized that I couldn't turn off just the A/C.
Old 11-23-2006
Registered!!

chuckseider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re-reprogramming

KRM -- Thanks for the great tip. Do you know how to change the program back if you decide you want it back to the factory setting?
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

I'd like to know how to change the program back to factory setting too.
Old 12-05-2006
KRM
Registered!!

KRM is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Resetting to factory setting

Just repeat the steps that I described in the first post and it should be reset
back to the default programming.
Old 12-11-2006
Registered!!

xxhaimbondxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Hm. I have a 07 Civic and I tried the above procedure, but it worked only when I put the temp setting to HOTEST. Also I tried to go back to the factory setting, however, it stayed in this new setting anyway, even though the recirc light flashed. No matter what I am still happy for this little improvement, I hate when things power on without my saying so, specially like A/C in the winter.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

I tried repeating the steps to reset back to default programming and it didn't work. Does anybody know the correct way for an '06 Civic Coupe EX? I'd like to know just in case there is a good reason to reset it.
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

xxhaimbondxx is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried to reset it back also but it didn't work either. I guess disconnecting the battery will solve everything.
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
07 Honda Civic EX-defroster

I just check my 07 Honda Civic EX sedan and the defroster comes from the factory not connected to the A/C. So no need to disconnect

Plastics
Old 01-15-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
think this will work on an 02LX? because i hate the gas mileage loss, and it bugs the hell ouot of my girl that the ac is always on.
Old 01-16-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
never mind, tried it, it works
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

emadasghar is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by KRM
You may have noticed that when you turn on the windshield defroster, by default, the a/c will run to provide de-humidified air to the windshield. That is the way Honda has set it up in most of its' recent models. To me, the annoying aspect is that in the defrost modes the a/c control is disabled and there is no way to turn off the a/c. In many situations (particularly warm, rainy conditions) it makes sense to have the a/c go on, but in others, like very cold damp weather, or when driving in heavy or blowing snow, when you are trying to minimize icing on the winshield, it doesn't seem to make sense at all. Also, the manual emphasizes how running the A/C decreases MPG and encourages owners NOT to run it whenever it can be avoided!

Fortunately, there is a solution to this problem that is not documented in the owners manual! As I said, it appears to work with most recent Honda models and I have tried it successfully on my 2006 Civic. Here's how to reprogram the defoster:
- Mode button to select panel vents only (cannot be selected with the key off, so select this before turning the engine off before starting programming)
- Holding down the recirculate button AND the A/C button, START THE ENGINE. (Continue holding the two buttons) The recirculate button indicator light will flash for about seven seconds. Then the A/C green indicator light will flash on. The defroster is now reprogrammed!

When selecting Defrost or Defrost + Floor the A/C will still come on, BUT so will the A/C indicator light, and the A/C button is NOT disabled. Now you can push the A/C button and turn the A/C off! It will NOT come on again if you stop the engine and then restart, although you can push the A/C button to turn it on if you wish.

Since in very cold weather I tend to leave the control in the defrost + floor with the A/C off, this works fine for me. Just remember to occasionally run the A/C for a while to keep the seals lubricated. (Just not all winter long!)
brilliant post. thank you!
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

dextor is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone tried this on a Canadian 2007 LX Sedan yet? Can it be reseted using this method?
Also, is this even turned on in the Canadian Civics? Just because we have strong winters here...

Last edited by dextor; 02-18-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
i don't know about the 07s, but i believe i read that this can be reverted back to the stock setting by doing the same thing, but instead turning one or more of the ***** all the way to the right, rather than the left. Then hold down the buttons and start the car. I unfortunately don't remember which ***** go all the way to the right to reset it, tho, and I haven't tried resetting it on my car. Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

RBP LX is an unknown quantity at this point
I found instructions in a Honda Element forum explaining how to return to the factory setting. I have modified them to apply to the Civic. I have also tested them and it works!

Click image for larger version

Name:	HVAC2.jpg
Views:	10503
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	70126

To deactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. Select dash vent button
2. Turn fan **** to off position.
3. Turn temperature **** all the way to coldest setting
4. Turn vehicle off.
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while starting the vehicle.
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. Now when you select defrost mode the a/c compressor will turn on but so will the a/c light on the a/c button. You can now press the a/c button and turn the compressor on or off. Even when you turn the car off the setting will be stored.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. (Select defrost mode button)
2. Turn fan **** to off position.
3. Turn temperature **** all the way to the coldest setting.
4. Turn vehicle off.
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while starting the vehicle.
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. After this, the a/c light will turn to green and it's back to factory setting!

Last edited by RBP LX; 03-18-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

RBP LX is an unknown quantity at this point
Nearly 100 views since I posted this and no one else has tried it yet?

Last edited by RBP LX; 03-24-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2007
Registered!!

sonitex is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda defroster reprogramming

Note: In the instructions to turn the AC light on in both defrost mode, so you can turn the AC Compressor off, you do not have to start the engine. All you have to do instead is place the ignition switch to the Run position. Also, when the recirc button stops flashing, continue to hold the buttons down until the AC light comes on, then release buttons. I did this to my 06 Si and my 06 EX

Last edited by sonitex; 03-30-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Great info hear!!!
Old 04-05-2007
Registered!!

AudioQuest is an unknown quantity at this point

Works for 2005 CR-V as well!
Old 04-05-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

works for my EM2!!!

Id just like to say thanks again for the info!!!

It didnt work on my friends DC5 though...
Old 09-13-2007
Registered!!

HondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KRM
You may have noticed that when you turn on the windshield defroster, by default, the a/c will run to provide de-humidified air to the windshield..................
+1 Rep for you...just did it and it worked like a charm...thanks again
Old 09-13-2007
Registered!!

Buds302 will become famous soon enough

****in great info man... worked for me. i just did it 5 min ago
Old 09-14-2007
Registered!!

RogerB is an unknown quantity at this point

Worked on my 05 Coupe. Didn't really benefit me much the other day when it was cool and raining. The windshield would fog up even with defrost mode on, and I'd have to manually turn on the AC to remove the moisture.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

hmiwb is an unknown quantity at this point

Worked great on my 07 LX! So why doesn't the factory send them out this way standard equipment? Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by KRM

Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

Wpattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dextor
Has anyone tried this on a Canadian 2007 LX Sedan yet? Can it be reseted using this method?
Also, is this even turned on in the Canadian Civics? Just because we have strong winters here...
The A/C doesnt come with the defroster in the 2007 canadian model, atleast not in my EX.
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

User 061820 is an unknown quantity at this point

worked great for me too thanks dude
Old 05-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

any code for the dc5??
Old 11-02-2008
Registered!!

kugmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice, highly informative post...
Old 01-28-2009
Registered!!

twowheels is an unknown quantity at this point