8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Disabling daytime running lights?

Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
koreth is an unknown quantity at this point
Disabling daytime running lights?

Hey, i just happened to come accross a website about a hybrid owner disabling his DRL in order to increase gas mileage slightly... I dont have a hybrid, but the DRL annoy me. The site showed just removing a fuse fixed the problem. Is this true with the EX's also? (dont have my manual handy to look myself) Also, will that cause any harm to any other lights/systems/engine/doors (jk)/etc?

Also, just wanted to point out i feel like an idiot... I have had my EX for about a month and a half, and on my ride home from work today just realized the sunroof actually tilts up as well, not just opens up... I always saw pics of the tilt on SI's so i thought it was one of their features... i got all excited. lol

Thanks
Jon
Old 09-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hilorains is an unknown quantity at this point
According to an article I found on the web, for '06 civics, all you need to remove fuse #37 (7.5A) from the INTERIOR fuse box under the far left side of the dash to disable the DRLs. Supposedly no after-effects. I didn't try it yet so I can't confirm.
The following users liked this post:
Utahrded (02-09-2022)
Old 09-06-2006
Registered!!

anyone happen to have actual experience doing this and knowing it doesnt affect anything else? I know its easy to test, but i'm wondering any long term effects (dunno why there would be any, just curious)
Old 09-07-2006
Registered!!

Guess I'll give it try. Thing is, its my wife's car and I don't drive it. Though I know she doesn't like the DRLs.
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hilorains
Guess I'll give it try. Thing is, its my wife's car and I don't drive it. Though I know she doesn't like the DRLs.
Someone else will have to try - wife said to leave the the DRLs.
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hilorains
Someone else will have to try - wife said to leave the the DRLs.
I took the fuse out. Disabled them fine. High beams still work, headlights still work... Dunno what else to check for... taking the fuse out of that shouldnt blow anything else right?

btw its a pain in the *** to get to fuse 37.

i love them off... dunno why, i just never liked them on... i've never liked DRL on any car, whether it be actual DRL or fog lights... It annoyed me to no end sitting in a parking lot or something and wanting my lights off, the only way i could do it was to turn the engine off...
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree i disabled the drl's on my subaru before i even got it home from the dealer
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by koreth
I took the fuse out. Disabled them fine. High beams still work, headlights still work... Dunno what else to check for... taking the fuse out of that shouldnt blow anything else right?

i love them off... dunno why, i just never liked them on... i've never liked DRL on any car, whether it be actual DRL or fog lights... It annoyed me to no end sitting in a parking lot or something and wanting my lights off, the only way i could do it was to turn the engine off...
Don't like them either but not my car. Doesn't like me modding car either but probably still gonna put on either a mesh or billet grill.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
hey its ok

Hey dont feel bad about not knowing about the sunroof, I work for Honda and just found out after 4 months that you can program the radio to display whatever you want!!!
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

beto is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by koreth

Just an FYI....If you pull up on the hand brake, the DRLs will go off, even with the engine running. (like in a parking lot, waiting......)
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea Just Make Sure You Dont Drive With It Up Hahaha!
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

thebighappyhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
the sunroof tilts up???
I've had my EX for a month and I don't know that you are talking about???
HA HA HA
Old 12-25-2006
Registered!!

Kidekat is an unknown quantity at this point
I removed my DRL fuse for about 5 months now. Nothing wrong with the car.

It too annoyed the hell out of me with lights on during the Summer.
Old 12-25-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I had hopes I could add DRL easily to my 7th gen. No such luck. The 8th gen DRL looks great IMO. I would keep them enabled.

The system on my 00 Corolla was on constant once the brake was released (no going back off if the parking brake was reset) and if you removed any of the fuses for the system it caused all kinds of weird results. I made a small spacer for under the parking brake to space it up just enough to leave them off (when I wanted them off) But then you have to look at the brake light on.

The Honda system sounds great I can't wait !!
Old 12-27-2006
Registered!!

xxhaimbondxx is an unknown quantity at this point
I really don't get how DRL can annoy a someone? Unless of course ur are looking directly at them. But this is not the case since ur the one driving the car, so who cares whats going outside?

DRL is actually a little, but still some level of safety feature, it is helpful since some bad a$$ drivers during the day may not notice our small a$$ civics.
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

Trukfr8 is an unknown quantity at this point
I disabled my day time running lights...

I too was so annoyed at the daytime running lights always on. I think there should be an option to turn them on/off. I understand it is for safety, but it is my car and I do not like them on. On my '07 sedan, you have to pull up the parking brake before the car is turned on in order for the lights to go out. In my car, the DRL stay on if the car is running and I pull the parking brake...so I took out #37 fuse and the DRL problem is not an issue any longer. I have fog lights, so I drive with the headlights on during the day if I want to be safe. I just think it should be the drivers choice. (eventually drivers will get used to seeing lights on, so DRL in a few years will no longer be safe). In the owners manual, it does say #37 fuse is only used for daytime running lights.
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Stick is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by xxhaimbondxx
I really don't get how DRL can annoy a someone? Unless of course ur are looking directly at them. But this is not the case since ur the one driving the car, so who cares whats going outside?

DRL is actually a little, but still some level of safety feature, it is helpful since some bad a$$ drivers during the day may not notice our small a$$ civics.
Agree. I don't see the point in disabling something you can't even see, especially if it helps some de de de ******** from pulling out in front of you. If a bystander doesn't think it looks cool, who gives a mouse fart? Hell, I didn't even know they were on there until I pulled up behind another car at a stoplight and saw the reflection.

Stick
Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate the daytime running lights, and anytime I see somebody driving around with their lights on in the daytime I say man, they should turn their lights off!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would never want drl running if I get a new 07 civic, the fuse will come out the day I get the car
drl is like the people that drive around below the speed limit with the headlights on during the day....arrrghhhh
thanks for the info bras , the fuse will be out before I leave the lot if i get my new 07 si coupe
Old 02-25-2007
Registered!!

MutantCheese is an unknown quantity at this point
I also pulled fuse #37 to disable DRL's, worked fine.
The following users liked this post:
Utahrded (02-09-2022)
Old 02-25-2007
Registered!!

starzy is an unknown quantity at this point
if you wanted to leave the DRL on while you drive and shut them off while you sitting in the parking lot you, pull on your Ebreak and then shut the car off and turn it on, and then when you take the Ebreak off they will turn back on
Old 07-17-2007
Registered!!

hmiwb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Disabling daytime running lights?

Personally I used to turn my headlights on during the day anyway so I'd have a better chance of being seen. The DRLs just make that automatic and at reduced voltage it shouldn't burn the headlights out much sooner than they would anyway. I do wish there was a switch to turn them off once in awhile, but overall I'm happy to have them.
Old 07-26-2007
Registered!!

Bronwyn031 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Disabling daytime running lights?

I agree with CraigW.
Why would anyone want to disable your DRL?
Those are installed for safety purposes. Your more likely to take notice of an approaching car with headlights ON versus being OFF, before deciding to dart out into oncoming traffic.
What does it matter if your headlights are on WHILST you're driving; you can't see them anyway.
DRL have been huge in Europe and Asia for quite sometime and I'm kinda glad that North America is finally catching on.

B.
Old 07-26-2007
MWE
Registered!!

MWE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xxhaimbondxx

DRLs are a far more important safety feature than most people, particularly young people, realize. You can be the best driver in the world, but if others can not see you, your chances of getting hit go up. As you age, your eyes degrade, particularly the ability to discern colors and general low light vision. Currently popular car colors make it worse; silver and other neutral color cars are very hard to see in the early morning or evening. As the driving population ages, there are more and more people out there whose vision is not the best ... it is in your best interest to make your car visible.

Many insurance companies grant discounts for cars with DRLs. That indicates that DRLs work. Further, anyone who accepts a DRL discount from their insurance company and then purposely disables their DRLs may have some problems should they have an accident.
Old 07-26-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

DRL stands for Daytime Running Lamps, not Daytime Running Lights. And disabling them is illegal in Canada. Just in case we have any northern members doing it.
Old 08-17-2007
Registered!!

MarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura about

i dnt like the DRL's either, im glad theres a way to disable them, thanx guys
Old 08-20-2007
Registered!!

SLICK_SI is an unknown quantity at this point

same here. everything still work fine with me. high beam work also
Old 08-26-2007
An elephant.... with stamps for hands.

thatsmrgimp2u is an unknown quantity at this point

Just unplugged mine, no problems.
Old 04-13-2008
Registered!!

dcubed121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebighappyhouse
the sunroof tilts up???
I've had my EX for a month and I don't know that you are talking about???
HA HA HA
With the moon roof close push in on the button. not forward or back but push strait in.
Old 04-13-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I didn't think they were such a safety concern until I went down to New York and had a rental for a few months. I kept forgetting to turn the lights on when it was getting dark and I was having to dodge people every 2 seconds just pulling out in front of me or making u-turns right in front of me, it was retarded. Then when I turned the lights on it stopped happening. So I'm glad I have my DRL in my Civic.
Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

Wpattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beto
Just an FYI....If you pull up on the hand brake, the DRLs will go off, even with the engine running. (like in a parking lot, waiting......)
nope i have 2007 EX and once those DRLs are on... they are on till you restart the car. I know there is also some sequence of pedal and button pushing you can do to turn them off.. my friend did with mine.. but he moved away before i remembered to ask him ho he did it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disabling daytime running lights?