8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Disabling daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
User 061820 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Disabling daytime running lights?

Originally Posted by Wpattie
nope i have 2007 EX and once those DRLs are on... they are on till you restart the car. I know there is also some sequence of pedal and button pushing you can do to turn them off.. my friend did with mine.. but he moved away before i remembered to ask him ho he did it.
maybe facebook or myspace him???? haha j/k

I really don't mind the DRL as I am a safe driver...(see my post on my minor fender bender for ironic posting :P ) But all in all I still use my turn signal and keep my DRL's on, they really don't bother me.
Old 02-05-2009
Registered!!

johnniewalker is an unknown quantity at this point

can you mod by hooking it up to a switch?is there a way to bypass the ebrake and the head light switch? the drl is activated by releasing the ebrake and is de-activated by turning on the headlights..
i want them both on at the same time., but have an option to turn drl off .. anybody have any ideas how this can be done?
Old 02-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

look for the DRL control box under the panel near the hood release. then its just a matter of testing connector wires to see which is the hot wire you need to put a switch on. i doubt you will be able to make them "stand-alone" when you can turn them on anytime you want, since they are so deeply integrated with the stock headlight wiring. but you can at least have a way to turn them off anytime.
Old 07-13-2009
Registered!!

Drahkk is an unknown quantity at this point

I just purchased a new 2009 Civic, am picking it up tomorrow, and I intend to disable the DRL before I even leave the lot since my lying dealer claims it can't be done. He found me the exact car I asked for, down to the last detail. The only thing I don't like is the DRL he claims can't be taken out or disabled. I hate DRL with a passion.

DRL are not a safety feature, they are the opposite of one. First, they encourage people to flat out ignore their headlight controls. This is fine as long as everything continues to work perfectly. If the photocell malfunctions, they'll never know, because their lights are still on, but they're now driving at night with no taillights. That's a safety hazard. If they then get into, oh, say, a rental or spouse's car that doesn't have DRL, they end up driving around with NO LIGHTS AT ALL until its pitch black and they suddenly realize they can't see for some reason. That's a bigger safety hazard. The only time they become a safety feature is when a driver gets used to having them.

Second, they waste gas. Minimal, maybe, but if I can save a gallon a year its worth it.

Third, they waste lifetime hours on the bulbs. Even if they don't blow, headlights dim over their lifetime. If you run them constantly, they dim faster. At NIGHT, when I NEED them, I like bright lights. And I don't like replacing them regularly to keep them bright.

Fourth, they just flat out annoy the hell out of me when I see other people driving with them. High noon under a clear sky, and you have your lights on. Are you retarded? Its two in the afternoon and I'm sending my son out to work in the garden. Here, Junior, don't forget to take a flashlight with you. We tell our kids to turn off the lights when they leave a room, leave the house, go to bed, or whatever to save on the electric bill. Turn them off when you don't need them. Why doesn't the same rule apply in the car? If you can't see me at midday under the bright sun, you probably don't need to be driving at all anymore. If I realize you can't see me under the midday sun, I will call the local highway patrol to bring your blind butt in to be retested. If, however, it is dim, dark, dusky, foggy, rainy, extremely overcast, or for any other reason either I need to see better or I believe others might need a little help seeing me as well as possible, I still possess the common sense, courtesy, and physical ability to move my left hand three inches to the left and two inches forward and turn a small switch 45 degrees in a counterclockwise fashion. This motion does not require me to take my eyes off the road, nor does it in any way distract me from driving. That's what cell phones are for, which is another topic altogether.

Sorry for the rant. Think I made my point, though.

Last edited by Drahkk; 07-13-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Drahkk
I just purchased a new 2009 Civic, am picking it up tomorrow, and I intend to disable the DRL before I even leave the lot since my lying dealer claims it can't be done. He found me the exact car I asked for, down to the last detail. The only thing I don't like is the DRL he claims can't be taken out or disabled. I hate DRL with a passion.
There's only 2 reasons he might have said this. One is that he didn't know which is highly likely, I work with computers and I hate them. So someone that works with cars probably doesn't do cars as a hobby on the side and most dealers I've met don't know anything outside what the manual says. The second is even if he did know, it's illegal for him to even mention to you that it can be done. I used to work for telecommunications and I know how to hack a phone to give you free data but when customers would call and ask I'd tell them it's impossible. I can be sued by FCC or anyone else for even mentioning it. You seem very uneducated about how the world works.

DRL are not a safety feature, they are the opposite of one. First, they encourage people to flat out ignore their headlight controls. This is fine as long as everything continues to work perfectly. If the photocell malfunctions, they'll never know, because their lights are still on, but they're now driving at night with no taillights. That's a safety hazard.
Nobody I know here in Canada ignores their headlights because of DRL. I don't know anyone that drives around at night and forgets to turn on their lights, and if you did other drivers would flash at you to let you know. Besides that, people glance at their speedometer, tachometer, gasometer (okay I made that one up) every few seconds/minutes so when it gets to be about 6pm and the sun is low in the sky, you can't see any of these gauges anymore. At this point I turn my lights on so it lights up my dash and I can see my speed. This is what people do. And besides that, in the summer time here, this far north, it's bright until 10:30, almost 11:00pm. In late June I'm going to bed while the sun is up.

If they then get into, oh, say, a rental or spouse's car that doesn't have DRL, they end up driving around with NO LIGHTS AT ALL until its pitch black and they suddenly realize they can't see for some reason. That's a bigger safety hazard. The only time they become a safety feature is when a driver gets used to having them.
This I agree....almost. I had a rental when I moved down to New York for a few months and would drive around at dusk with no headlights because I was used to not having to turn them on until I could no longer see my speedometer as mentioned above. But it's not like you mention I couldn't all of a sudden see for some reason, it's not like the sun got turned off like a light switch and I was driving blindly. You're over exaggerating.

Second, they waste gas. Minimal, maybe, but if I can save a gallon a year its worth it.
You're over exaggerating again. You're worried about removing a safety feature to save $4 a year? Why not remove your cruise control, power window module, air bags, passenger seat, rear seats, or even your windshield if you want to save gas? Or better yet, put your fat *** on a diet and drop 10 pounds, that should save you a gallon of gas a year. You're talking nonsense.

Third, they waste lifetime hours on the bulbs. Even if they don't blow, headlights dim over their lifetime. If you run them constantly, they dim faster. At NIGHT, when I NEED them, I like bright lights. And I don't like replacing them regularly to keep them bright.
More over exaggerating. My car's 4 years old, maybe 5 if it was released fall of 2004 and I'm still running the factory bulbs that came with it. So ya, you might have to replace your bulbs 1 extra time every 20 years or so, does that really bother you? The DRL in some bulbs even uses a different filament so it doesn't do anything to the headlights.

Fourth, they just flat out annoy the hell out of me when I see other people driving with them. High noon under a clear sky, and you have your lights on. Are you retarded? Its two in the afternoon and I'm sending my son out to work in the garden. Here, Junior, don't forget to take a flashlight with you. We tell our kids to turn off the lights when they leave a room, leave the house, go to bed, or whatever to save on the electric bill. Turn them off when you don't need them. Why doesn't the same rule apply in the car? If you can't see me at midday under the bright sun, you probably don't need to be driving at all anymore. If I realize you can't see me under the midday sun, I will call the local highway patrol to bring your blind butt in to be retested. If, however, it is dim, dark, dusky, foggy, rainy, extremely overcast, or for any other reason either I need to see better or I believe others might need a little help seeing me as well as possible, I still possess the common sense, courtesy, and physical ability to move my left hand three inches to the left and two inches forward and turn a small switch 45 degrees in a counterclockwise fashion. This motion does not require me to take my eyes off the road, nor does it in any way distract me from driving. That's what cell phones are for, which is another topic altogether.

Sorry for the rant. Think I made my point, though.
Sounds like you don't believe they work as a safety feature. Google the statistics of DRL and you'll see that Stats Canada and whatever you use in the USA both show that DRL statistically reduce collisions and are safer in more circumstances than without. I can also vouch personally that when I would mistakingly drive without them in my rental in New York, I'd have cars cutting me off and doing U-Turns in front of me and I'd have to slam on the brakes to avoid them. Then I'd turn my lights on and it would stop. Regardless of what you believe, people are morons and can miss a vehicle, especially silver/black, at times. Do you think it's stupid to wear a reflective vest while jogging too? Reflectors on bike tires? They all help you be seen at night and during the day because even myself I've missed a car (more often a motorcycle) on occasion.

You may know a lot about cars or you may know nothing but your post clearly makes it sound like you know nothing about how the world works and have complete ignorance to how other drivers operate at times.
Old 07-14-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i like my turn signal drl, in fact i spent money and purchased the system myself cause my car did not come with one. they are very handy on cloudy/rainy/low visibility days when i dont feel like wasting all my park lights and headlights. when its sunny, i just turn them off. no sense in wasting my expensive turn signal bulbs either. but i do agree that white hi beam drl is pretty crappy looking and doesnt really increase safety as much as amber light (usually from turn signals). the signal drl wastes less power than hi beam drl at 1/2 power. and youre right, when you run the hi beam bulbs at low power, they start to turn brown since there is no halogen cycle going on. but at least you can run them at full power by using the hi beam and eventually they will turn clear again. running halogens at low power, however, will not reduce their lifespan. in fact, they prolly would last more than twice their normal life. i suggest you put a switch on yours and just use it when you feel like. alot of 06+ civic guys also change the hi beam bulb with a yellow one to add uniqueness. just keep in mind they do start to get annoyingly bright when it gets too dark outside. if its near dark but still light enough to see, i will usually just switch the park lights on instead. heres a pic of my drls. very noticable and bright, ive had cars actually sit and wait for me to pass instead of turning in front of me so they could check out my car.

Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

onequickfa5 is an unknown quantity at this point

yep...like this..but i pulled the fuse out sence then..and in person the fogs match the drls
Old 02-09-2010
Registered!!

flip_d2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kidekat
I removed my DRL fuse for about 5 months now. Nothing wrong with the car.

It too annoyed the hell out of me with lights on during the Summer.
Hey guys, which fuse are we talking about? I have a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe.
My DRL light buzzes when I put down my handbrake. If I take out the fuse... will this be fixed?
Which Fuse? My fuse box is under the hood on the passenger side.
Old 02-09-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flip_d2k
Hey guys, which fuse are we talking about? I have a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe.
My DRL light buzzes when I put down my handbrake. If I take out the fuse... will this be fixed?
Which Fuse? My fuse box is under the hood on the passenger side.
This is more of an 8th gen thread.

On yours you should locate the DRL control unit and re-solder the connections, it will solve the issues your are experiencing.
Old 02-27-2010
Registered!!

Excoastie is an unknown quantity at this point

I must chime in here.... For the most part I agree that the DRLs improve visibility from the front! That doesn't mean that I like them though.

first reason: It does nothing to the tail lights. Lots of the idiots around here think that their DRLs are an acceptable substitute for headlights in the rain. Have you ever heard the expression "Louisiana rain"? (picture really heavy, with almost 0 visibility). DRLs do nothing for improving visibility from the rear.... It's lots of fun coming up on an idiot driving 25mph in a 50 zone because of a little rain, and having to slam on the brakes because you can't see him until you're almost introducing yourself!

second reason: I work weird and crazy hours, frequently coming home in the middle of the night. My son's bedroom window faces my driveway. As a result of this I turn off my headlights as I'm entering the driveway, preventing a "spot light effect" on his window. Although the DRLs are not as bright, they will still cause this spot light effect

That being said, I'll probably keep my DRLs operating, as I know when my headlights need to be turned on, and do so. When I come home at in the middle of the night I will typically back the car in to the drivway (the reverse lights are not anywhere near as bright as the DRLs on my car)

JMHO

Exco
Old 02-27-2010
Premium Member

i completely agree, which is why i am currently bypassing the drl safety to allow them to run in both parking and headlight mode. unless its only cloudy, headlights come on for me in any other bad weather. and the drls add to the visibility while still functioning as turn signals. my drl has its own master switch to easily switch off and on as i please. but using the turn signal bulb, its not nearly as annoying as some hi beam drls.
Old 02-28-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I am temporarily living in Canada and will need to install DRL.
However, back in TN, i would always turn my parking lights on as soon as i turn the engine on (habit).
For the average driver, they don't care, so the DRL is a must, sorry to say...
I will turn my parking lights as always, will disable the DRL as sson as i get passed the inspection anyway. It does not turn the rear lights on.
For the average driver, use the the DRL. For concerned drivers, turn it off! The best ABS i know is human, except for ice.
that's all.
Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

JadedRedDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

DRL doesn't bother me. It's a safety feature for me because I know people on the road can see my car due to the DRLs being on. People have pulled out in front of my mom many times because her honda accord is a similar color as the road and it has no DRLs. Although I definitely do not let my guard down just because DRLs are on.

One thing that does bother me though with my 2009 Honda Civic is the DRLs do not turn off when I put my car in park and apply the parking brake. When I get into my car and start the engine, as soon as I release the parking brake and put the car into drive the DRLs turn on. But if I put the car back into park and apply the parking brake they continue to stay on unless I turn off the engine.

I was wondering if the other 2009 civics do the same thing or is something defective in mine?

One more thing, when you guys took a fuse out of your car just to disable the DRLs did you turn your parking lights on and look at the front of your car to see if they turn on?

Last edited by JadedRedDragon; 03-02-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2010
Registered!!

2010CivicDave is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought my civic in december, and wouldnt dream of disabling the DRL.

Why?

I dont see them (the DRL on my car), but the other drivers do, which helps them to see me coming. Why is this even an issue when you cant even see them while youre driving your own car?

The other driver - So you see their DRL on the highway, heading toward you at highway speed, imagine if they were passing a slower vehicle, their DRL helps you see it happening at a distance, because the DRL themselves are alerting you to their presence on the roadway (if you only see one of their DRL, they are staying in their lane, if you see both, they are probably passing another car and are in your lane).

Why do people think this is such a bad thing?

And dont give me the "their not bright enuff" or something because I have averted many an accident thanks to the DRL on the other guys car, even tho he/she was being an *** and being in way too much of a hurry. I drive 37 miles to AND from work everyday thru 3 counties so I see this type of thing 6 days a week.

And im thankful for DRL!

Last edited by 2010CivicDave; 03-07-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2010
Registered!!

Doc2006Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

if u dont want ure DRl's on when u first start up your car then dont touch the brake when u start the car. i ahve the 5spd 06 ex and i jsut set the parking break and start the car and my day time running lights stay off until i hit the brakes at some point. My wife's 2010 civic turns on when u hit the break to put it from park to reverse or drive... so it just depends on ure car but i pulled my fuse and it hasn't caused any problem. i love my civic other than some minor issues i am having cause my intake is to big for my car.
Old 12-15-2010
Registered!!

fudd022 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who would have thought it'd be as easy as removing a fuse? Just removed #37 from my new 2011 Civic and glad to be rid of the DRLs!

FYI - to all the people that wonder why you'd want to disable DRLs, I disabled mine for safety. The DRLs are too bright, and being a city dweller, it's easy to forget to turn on your headlights at dusk. I even forget to turn on my headlights at night sometimes, since the DLRs are so bright.

Last edited by fudd022; 12-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

matt1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Disabling the DRLs was the first thing I did. It was done the day I bought it.

Low bean DRLs don't bother me, high beam DRLs (like the Civic) annoy me.

http://lightsout.org/

Pulling the DRL fuse cause absolutely no other problems with the car.
Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member

drls are just a waste of resources (gas), unless you have leds like the audi. if you cant see cars in bright sun, you shouldnt be driving. and if its cloudy, turn your lo beams on. its amazing how many people cannot grasp such a simple concept lol. luckily with civics its just a couple fuses.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

U6vh2k3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have noticed that when I am driving a car with Daytime Running Lights, the car in front of me will tend to slow up a bit.

I have been told that drivers do this because they find the DRL's annoying and are trying to encourage the car with DRLs to "go around".

From lightsout.org

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has recently released a technical report finds DRLs are of practically no use, and further admits that DRLs have negative safety consequences."

Last edited by U6vh2k3; 05-14-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member

i was going crazy when a motorcycle got behind me today with non-stop flashing hi beams! the lo beams were also on but flashing hi beams? i was getting so distracted and annoyed and my eye was constantly looking back in the rear mirror. i could see his lights reflecting off speed limit signs in full sun! i am all for those guys making themselves more visible, but this is way too far and could easily cause accidents. get an hid kit, some driving lights, amber drls whatever so long as they are not flashing im okay with glare. i seriously felt like running him off the road for being so annoying.

i will admit that amber turn signal drls are not annoying and do make some cars look "cool" but as far as visibility, i can still see a car just fine without any lights so long as its not nighttime.
Old 05-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

or the option of fog lights being used instead
Old 05-29-2011
SRCivic03

SRCivic03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ready to Pull my DRL fuse I have either the noise under my dash or the "DRL" warning light on my dash all the time until I turn the normal night lights on.
I was just curious if that will solve the issue with my high beams not working if I pull the DRL fuse.
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

I disabled my DRLs, if you cant see a bright red car during the day then you should not be driving. I just did not like the way that they looked and I see no safety benefit. Ive driven vehicles with and without DRLs and I have not noticed a difference. Actually the truck I used to drive without DRLs, ha ha, no one was pulling out in front of that...
Old 11-22-2015
Registered!!

Jorgelgomezm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
You may need to check ur user mannual and in fuse section find out which fuse number is belong to DRL then remove it and that's it.
I've got a civic 2014 and the fuse number is 21 (7.5 amp)
Cheers
Old 10-10-2018
Registered!!

Deryk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Below are the steps to turn off the daytime running lights while keeping the vehicle running.
  1. Turn off the vehicle.
  2. Engage the parking brake
  3. Turn the Vehicle back on
And thats it! After those 3 simple steps the vehicle will be running but the daytime running lights will be off. Watch the video below for more info.

Works on my Honda civic coupe.