8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Notice: pops and rattles - Honda's viewpoint

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry Wright is an unknown quantity at this point
Notice: pops and rattles - Honda's viewpoint

I have spent the better part of 90 days sorting out pops and rattles on my new 2006 Civic which is a fine vehicle. But it IS a new design. Most of the technician practices have to be reviewed as they don't work well with this car.

I have worked with Honda and they tell me most pops outside the cabin have a solution. Strut replacement and front end tuning seems to be the key to it. You will need a skilled dealership so choose carefully. Technicians tend to do procedures like they did on the older Civics. Not all of course. But that will not work here. The gauge of metal on the frame is thinner and that affects re-installations in important areas of suspension.

Also, the 2006 Civic has a front end rattle which is known by Honda but has an unknown cause. It is under investigation. If you don't notice it, you're one of the lucky ones because I am told they all do it to some degree. The best solution is to contact Honda at 18009991009 and start a case on it so you can be informed more readily when the engineers figure out the solution.

This also applies to alignments and steering. If you notice a dramatic steer to the left or right, Honda wants to know. If you notice the Civic is out of alignment, take it in to a dealership you trust. The problem here is some technicians will try to align the vehicle with the procedures from the older Civics. Not because they are bad technicians but because training the fleet of technicians who serve us takes time is new design. I experience this one myself. They had to fly in Honda experts to train the technicians on alignments.

I hope this notice helps. The '06 Civic is a fine car; but it in a new design. The bugs will haunt us for awhile yet. In the end, we will have a fine vehicle.

take care,

Terry
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Terry,

My car went back for an alignment after 400 miles with a nasty pull the right. The car was aligned and I was given a spec sheet showing it was corrected but still pulls to the right.

I will call the number!!!
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

good idea

Originally Posted by kero
Terry,

My car went back for an alignment after 400 miles with a nasty pull the right. The car was aligned and I was given a spec sheet showing it was corrected but still pulls to the right.

I will call the number!!!
Kero,

Smart move. Honda wants to know about this problem. When you call be as descriptive as you can and get the case number. The main call line is to take input only. If you need feedback, have them transfer you to your case manager and then talk. Keep in mind our Civics are newly designed and it's going to go this way.

hang in there,

Terry
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Terry,

Can you please provide that number again, I can't remember where it's posted!
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

civic_dx-g is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 08-11-2006
Registered!!

checking in

Originally Posted by kero
Terry,

Can you please provide that number again, I can't remember where it's posted!
Kero,

How's is the progress with your Honda going? I see you have the customer service number.

let's hear the latest - I am waiting on a TSB solution to the rattle. A recall may not happen.

Terry
Old 08-12-2006
Registered!!

marichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down pos and rattles

I finally got rid of THE car! First of all, this brand new car was in the shop for 12 days (2nd day I bought it) b/c of that rattling sound coming from the front. They tried to fix it...faulty struts they said. I called the BBB and filed a claim at Honda Corp. Honda corp was asking me to sign a release form waiving my rights to sue b/c of those struts should it happen 2 more times in place of an 8 year/100000 mi warranty. The service manager at my dealer said it was fixed...but I still took it to my trusted mechanic...he said, definitely, there was something wrong with it...but he was "suspicious" of that contract.

The car is still noisy...especially over bumps. Guess what? I traded it in...I suffered b/c of the neg equity, but wants to go through all that figuring out what is wrong with a BRAND NEW CAR?

I got a Toyota Camry 2007...rides better! I don't know why I listened to that overrated Civic Sedan!
Old 08-12-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by marichi
The car is still noisy...especially over bumps. Guess what? I traded it in...I suffered b/c of the neg equity, but wants to go through all that figuring out what is wrong with a BRAND NEW CAR?

I got a Toyota Camry 2007...rides better! I don't know why I listened to that overrated Civic Sedan!
hmmm... you are comparing a camry to a civic? cars in two completely different classes and about $7k apart. Why don't you compare the civic to a BMW, it also probably rides better.
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

marichi is an unknown quantity at this point
price difference ?

:confused Okay...the price for my Civic was $20,544-with taxes and the service contract, it came to $23,626.45. It came with an aero kit, mud guards, a rear spoiler and pin stripes. Had manual driver's seats, no courtesy lights, 4 speakers that didn't sound good at all....my fiance who is 5'11'' could not fit his legs in the passenger seat at all with the saet pulled all the way back.

The 2007 Camry LX which I got was 21,080--with taxes and service contract, it came to $23,830.00. This car had powered driver's seats (8 ways) w/ lumbar adjustment, courtesy lights, knee airbags are standard, 6 speakers which sound like JBL speakers. It is a bigger car for just $250 to add. Actually the Toyota salesman was surpised when I showed him my purchase order for the 2006 Civic and he said it was like getting the mid-size sedan 2007 Camry!!!

Check it out...
Old 08-22-2006
Registered!!

this is stange, i paid about $21k CDN for my civic, camry here starts at close to $25k.